PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a sloppy shifter?

Mopar318
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I know there are a few tech threads on adjusting the cables for the A555 transmissions, but the Pictorial thread does not have any pictures that I can see.:mad: Thats ok though, can figure it out with no problem.

But anyways here is the deal, and you can decide if cables adjustment would help out. First of the my shifter is very sloppy, it seems like I have to push it almost to the full extent before It will catch the next gear. Once it is in gear I can move the shifter probably 4-5 inches just freely. The other day after coming out of reverse, I had a tough time getting it into first gear. 1st gear is always hard to get into, and it seems to have the most "slop in it." The trans is newly rebuilt, and has a new clutch, pressure plate, and bearing

Ive never had a cable shift standard trans before, and am not sure if this is just how they are, or if they can be just as tight as a lever type. I just don't feel confident in going through the gears how it is right now. Its just simply hard to tell weather its in the next gear or not.

t3rse
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
what happens with these is that the the linkage on top of the tranny that does the cross over work gets worn out. there is a little pin in it and after a while, because it is aluminum, the pin gets some slop. to see if this is indeed the problem, grab the little arm on top and see if it wiggles. if it does, you need to pull the pin and do one of two things: either drill the whole thing out and put in a new pin (bad idea, because it'll happen again), or get a brass bushing and drill out the arm and use a brass bushing instead, so the bushing can be replaced instead of wearing out the arm.

Mopar318
05-30-2008, 06:34 PM
So grab the arm going into the transmission and see if it wiggles? Is this on the back or front of the trans? Im going to go check it out, and its dark out, hehe.

supercrackerbox
05-31-2008, 04:27 AM
The pin fix is only on the 523/568 transmissions. The 525/520/555 does not have that secondary lever.

I've run into this in the past, and usually the bolt that holds the L-shaped shift lever to the selector housing has come loose. Take the bolt out, clean it really well with some brake cleaner, and put a generous dose of Loc-Tite on it. I usually use the blue stuff, that will keep it from coming loose when you don't want it to, but still be removable if you do need to. I can get pics tomorrow afternoon if you need.

If that's not the case, either the small bolts that tighten the cables to the shifter itself are loose, or (more likely) the cable ends on the transmission are worn out. Depending on the year and model, one of those cable ends can be replaced with one of the aftermarket bushings sold for the 523/568 cables. The other one will either have to be replaced, or I've managed to get one of the L-body rod clips to fit on there with a bit of stretching.

Mopar318
05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Well I found out one problem I think. on the transmission theres lever that connects to a rod, and theres a bolt and a bushing. The bushing is completly shot and is allowing about an inch of free movement. Im going to the dealership today to see if they can get it for me.

Mopar318
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Ok I fixed it. You where right on the money about the bolt being loose. Took it out, cleaned it up, put some loctite on it, and not my shifter is tight as can be. Soo much better.

Thanks guys.

supercrackerbox
06-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Glad I could help. :thumb:

Sethyboy85
06-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Ok I fixed it. You where right on the money about the bolt being loose. Took it out, cleaned it up, put some loctite on it, and not my shifter is tight as can be. Soo much better.

Thanks guys.

I thought my tranny was shot from a issue like this, I had 2 bolts loosly holding the tranny on when I found out it was that DARN bolt just loose... what a waste of 45min to undo all those bolts then put them all back on and the axles...