PDA

View Full Version : SDSefi on 2.4 hall effect bracket

t3rse
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I would like to see some pics of what people have done for a hall effect bracket on the 2.4 for SDSefi. I made one but I don't think it'll be adequate at higher pressures or hard launches, and I'm trying to figure out how to make a better one as there aren't many places to mount one without having it float quite a ways off the block.

Speedeuphoria
05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
1st a couple questions:
What year block?
Using hydraulic tensioner or mechanical?
A/C, yes or no?

(A)Basically if you use the mechanical/srt4 tensioner then you can mount it to where the hydraulic tensioner was(closest spot), this is the 2 top left bolts for the oil pump housing. This way you could have it close and not have to move it when changing belts, but you also cant see the magnet or sensor very well(assuming magnets on the rear of the pulley facing the block). If I had to do it over I would have done this. Basically I had a brain fart when doing mine, since I have the SRT4 tensioner, and I knew the other option worked from another member(his is that way b/c he has the hydraulic tensioner so its basically the only option). Of course you can also use this location with magnets on the front of the pulley, if you run PS(on the rear) then you would have to watch where the belt was when making it.

(B)Or if not using A/C, you can do like the 2 people on this board w/ SDS on a 2.4(that i know of) and make a bracket from where the A/C bracket would attach to the block. Now I guess this is kind of a loaded answer b/c certain 2.4 motors have the A/C up front while others have it in the rear, so for this answer it pertains to A/C being up front.

Basically I found a thick piece of angle iron(its 1/4" I think), and cut it so that it was almost to the front of the pulley. Then added another that moved it in to the pulley. I drilled the holes and added a couple braces to the leg holding the sensor and good to go. I have Not had any issues and my car has 350 lb springs front and 450 lb springs in the rear. Well the only issue I had was when I 1st went to start it and had the sensor too had over the magnets

I dont have any pics of the bracket i made, i did have one of 89Shelby2.4's but i dont have it and could not find it, I figure he will prob post it.

All I have is a pic which shows the 2 locations i was talking about
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n314/speedeuphoria/Picture226e.jpg

t3rse
05-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Srt with stock tensioner, no ps or a/c, alt in the front

I had the pulley slotted and chamfered and put a hardened pin in the crank to ensure the pulley doesn't rotate, and then made the insert to hold the magnets.

You can see the little bracket I made, but it seems to flimsy...but as such the HEP needs to be on the front face of the pulley.

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/MOTORIN_dropping.jpg

Speedeuphoria
05-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I had the pulley slotted and chamfered and put a hardened pin in the crank to ensure the pulley doesn't rotate, and then made the insert to hold the magnets.[/img]

So the stock pulley/crank did not have a keyway? Mine is a '96 2.4 and has a keyway/key/whatever in the crank and a slot in the pulley so the pulley cant move and its pressed on.

Its not that your bracket is flimsy to me, but is it just held on with 1 bolt? What/where is it attached to? I guess with a closer pic I could see it better. its not the tensioner pulley bolt is it? I would just worry about that b/c the tensioner bracket is alum and a couple people have broke them, now that normally large crane 22+ cams but I think it could vibrate a little. But I'm no expert or engineer so ????

Well since you have the magnets on the front then I guess you can go either way I mentioned above for a better mounting spot. The oil pump bolts where the hydraulic tensioner would be mounted on the old motors is a good choice. I've see a couple setups there for different standalone setups(think I saw some on neons.org, or maybe thats where JT's sensor is mounted?).

Anyway it looks good :amen:, what kind of setup do you have planned? what turbo?what trans? Omni?

t3rse
05-30-2008, 09:02 AM
there are two bolts: it bolts to the motor plate. it is made from the PS bracket, but if I tug on it, it moves a little, and since the front and rear mounts are solid, i want something a little more durable.

no, the srt pulley isn't keyed from the factory, and a lot of people have found out the hard way with external crank triggers that it can migrate, hence why i did what i did.

omni, 568, hy35, stock internals for now, with a few tricks. i am not going to bother with cams for a bit, since 600 has been made with stockers.

t3rse
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
i may just reinforce the one i made. after tightening it down more, there is less movement, but i can still pry it about 2 thousandths, so i may just weld another plate on top and add a gusset to the mounting plate.

87csx2.4
06-02-2008, 05:49 AM
i may just reinforce the one i made. after tightening it down more, there is less movement, but i can still pry it about 2 thousandths, so i may just weld another plate on top and add a gusset to the mounting plate.If it's sturdy enough to where you can only pry it 2 thousands than it should be fine.Two thousands movement won't hurt a thing.

1FastCSX289
06-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Berry....looking good. Is this the Omni you had at SDAC? You bringing it this year? I would love to see that thing run! That is awesome.

Why not just keep the same style/location bracket, just beef it up a bit? Then again, it really shouldnt move much to begin with.

t3rse
06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
the srt pulley sticks out much further and the pickup points are different so i couldn't use the old bracket, and on top of that now i'm reading off the outside face because of the above mentioned problem with the srt pulley not being keyed (so i can just remove the insert to indicate instead of buggering up the pulley anymore with the on-off game).

i don't think i'll be making it this year. i have a major 8-ball tourney that determines whether i get an expense-paid vacation to vegas at the same time, and the rate things are going, the car won't be ready anyways, and yes it is the same car, soon to be flat black...

1FastCSX289
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
i don't think i'll be making it this year. i have a major 8-ball tourney that determines whether i get an expense-paid vacation to vegas at the same time, and the rate things are going, the car won't be ready anyways, and yes it is the same car, soon to be flat black...

That sucks.....too bad you cant make it. I was looking forward to seeing that thing go again. You still gonna run the nitrous? I just bought another kit.....going in the CSX now.

cordes
06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Bummer you won't be able to make it Berry. I enjoyed hearing some of your insight into various topic last year. Good luck with the car, and especially the flat black paint job. I am thinking that I will do mine that way eventually too. That will be myself, you, and clay that I know of for sure who will have them that way. Definitely a SDAC photo op will be in order some day. :thumb:

t3rse
06-04-2008, 03:09 PM
i'm not happy about not being able to make it, but at least next time my grille won't be held on with duct tape! hopefully i'll have the turbocart done too....

i'm going to set the spray up, but probably not use it, at least for a while. i don't think i'll need it with the w/a i/c and all.

t3rse
06-11-2008, 06:17 PM
i reinforced the hell out of it:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/halleffectFinal.jpg