PDA

View Full Version : '87 CSX rear bumper question

TurboSedan
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
the driver's side "ear" that slides into a clip on the rear bumper of my CSX broke off, and today i got another from a base model '88 Shadow. i'm not really sure what to call it but it's a big round thing that slides into a clip that is attatched to the body right behind the rear wheel. unfortunately, i'm going to have to have this clip epoxied back onto the bumper cover as that is the only way i can really replace it (i think).

anyway, as i was pulling the rear bumper off the donor car, i noticed that the bumper cover was riveted to the bumper itself. this was not the case with my CSX; which did not have any rivets at all. is the CSX rear bumper cover supposed to be riveted to the bumper itself? i'm wondering if my CSX rear bumper cover was just missing a bunch of rivets or what....

TIA

EDIT: donor car is actually an '88 fwiw.
----------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

TurboSedan
06-01-2008, 02:50 PM
well i finally got my bumper cover here to take a look at it. it appears all of the "pegs" that are used to fasten the rear bumper cover to the bumper itself are broken off :( which sucks because it is otherwise a perfectly good/nice looking bumper cover. looks like i'm just going to have to buy another. i guess this explains why the bumper cover came off so easily.

-------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

sl3196
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
If the other one was riveted couldn't you just rivet the new one to your car? (riveting is way easy)

BadAssPerformance
06-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Yes, the CSX bumber GFX are just bolts to a regular Shadow bumper. Not sure that the rivets or clips are needed. The bumper supports the cover and holds it in position, just need to make sure that it is secure and that it will not fall off.

TurboSedan
06-02-2008, 01:50 AM
yeah, i actually just found out earlier this afternoon that the bumper cover is not Shelby-specific! i had previously thought that the bumper cover and gfx rear wrap thing was all one piece. today i realized that the gfx was actually riveted to the bumper cover, so i took that off and compared the bumper cover to the bumper cover on an '88 Shadow base model parts car i have here and sure enough - both bumper covers were exactly the same.

to clarify, the CSX gfx piece i have is just fine. earlier in this thread i was talking about the "poles" that are used to fasten the bumper cover to the actual bumper itself. now, my bumper cover is trashed - all of the "poles" are broken off and the "ear" thing on the driver's side is broken off. however, since it's not any different than a regular Shadow bumper cover it's not too big of a deal.

so, the good news is that i don't need a CSX rear bumper cover like i thought i did. all i have to do is get a good bumper cover from some j/y '87-'88? Shadow, then drill holes in it and attatch the CSX gfx piece. i'm going to replace the bumper itself too since it looks like it's been hit in the rear once before (it's slightly bent inwards in one place....that's probably how the poles on the bumper cover broke in the first place).

thanks

--------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

TurboSedan
06-02-2008, 01:56 AM
If the other one was riveted couldn't you just rivet the new one to your car? (riveting is way easy)

it was riveted but the problem is that all of the "poles" or "pegs" that are used for the rivets are broken off of the old bumper cover....so there is no way i can possibly fasten it to the steel bumper itself anymore. i'm just glad that the bumper cover isn't Shelby-specific like i thought it was. i can find another bumper cover from a regular j/y Shadow easy :thumb:

i'm probably going to pull the bumper and bumper cover as one piece from a donor j/y Shadow; that way i won't have to mess with any rivets at all. all i'll have to do is drill holes in it and attatch the CSX gfx piece (and paint it).

------------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS