PDA

View Full Version : Bad HEP, SDS, or?

cordes
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
My omni has taken to cutting out every once and a while while I am driving. The tach will drop to 0, but everything else functions without a hiccup.

When I switched to the TLM cal the other day it wouldn't rev past 3K RPM, but adjusting the staging mod rev limiter to 0 RPM solved that, so I am thinking that I have a SDS that is on the way out.

I have noticed that at times while I am driving the car feels like it is pulling timing while in part throttle cruising along. It is very noticeable and the EGTs will get much higher when this is happening.

Should I try to hunt down an HEP problem, a speed distance sensor problem, or what?

BadAssPerformance
05-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Got code 15 SDS?

Symptoms of a bad SDS are no idle or high idle.

Symptoms of a bad HEP are dying while driving.

cordes
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Got code 15 SDS?

Symptoms of a bad SDS are no idle or high idle.

Symptoms of a bad HEP are dying while driving.

I haven't been able to pull any codes on and off for a while now. My CEL started working again a couple of days ago, and now it has stopped again. It was functioning long enough so that I could verify there were no codes. I put an extra HEP in my car tonight that was a known functioning unit.

My idle was really high tonight when I pulled up to the house, so I think I might be fighting two problems here.

I will probably order up one of each, and see if that helps.

Thanks.

BadAssPerformance
05-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I had a flaky fusinle link once that acted high idle like a bad SDS as well.. even tripped 15.

cordes
05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I had a flaky fusinle link once that acted high idle like a bad SDS as well.. even tripped 15.

That would about ruin my day if that were the case. The fuseable links don't look so cherry in my ride to begin with...

cordes
05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
I swapped out HEPs today and the car did not cut out at all on the way to work for the first time in a long time. It was still trying to pull timing occasionally, but perhaps that is the SDS getting flaky every so often? I have a new SDS on the way, so that will hopefully take care of things.

cordes
06-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I just got done installing the new SDS. Man are the new ones easier to install and remove than the old ones.

I will let people take guesses as to how many pieces the sensor came out in, and I will try to post a pic tonight if I get some time after my afternoon/evening of farming.