PDA

View Full Version : When did i get a sewing machine under my hood?

Xtrempickup
05-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Well started my car today and pulled out and went around the block and i am listening, " wow that sounds loud, what the heck is that?.... Tat , Tat, Tat, TAT, TAT, TAT. well that prompted me back to by driveway to open the hood. Lifter is tapping away. so i shut it down and i pull the valve covers to see what it looks like in there. I think its surely on the exhaust bank as i can feel it and it seems to quite when i put my hand to the cover when its running. Nothing looked off, all the black caps on the lifters were still in place. I shined my flash light on the lobes to see if there was any abnormal wear or scoring, nothing there. I put the cover back on and check the intake side. everything looks normal, maybe a slight line on the one lobe toward the driver side of the car, doesnt look like the set of cams that came out of my spare head, that had some nasty scoring on it. There is plenty oil in there, my car always shows good oil pressure and I run 10W30 synthetic all the time. I had it once do this after sitting about a week, but it quieted right down, this doesnt seem to be doing that, just tapps away loudly. I have new lifters sitting here, should I replace them? is a big deal to drive on it? any opinions, i know these cars dont have the quitest drivetrains, this one was not bad, but now id swear there is a singer sewing machine under my hood, and yes the tap speeds up with RPM.

GLHNSLHT2
05-28-2008, 10:59 PM
exhaust leak at the manifold???

Xtrempickup
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
what the heck does exhuast leak the manifold mean? i replaced all that stuff not long ago, maybe 9 months ago. I have a lifter tapping, its as clear as day

raccoon
05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
rod knock. :)

turbovanmanČ
05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Can you vid it? My lifters are friggin noisey but I believe its due to a plugged oil galley in the head. When Wop'rs car ran, they were quiet and when they started to sound like mine, I knew something was wrong and he had NO oil pressure. I have 75 psi, :(

It could be just dirt, or a bad lifter or as suggested, maybe a rod knock.

Turbo224
05-29-2008, 03:26 AM
This will probably be the least helpful post ever, but I wouldn't worry about it. If you have popped the valve covers off and everything looks good, and your oil pressure is fine, then try driving it around again and see if it goes away. Before I replaced my lifters, they would get loud with out warning and then quite down for no reason. Oil pressure always stayed the same so I could never figure it out. One thing that I noticed is that it happened a lot after I had driven the car very hard and then shut if off with out letting it cool down for an extended period of time.

Xtrempickup
05-29-2008, 07:13 AM
its not hard to miss rod knock. This is a lifter tapping and its definately in the top end as if you stick your head under the car its a lot quieter, its not in the bottom end. Oil pressure is good, everything in top end looked satisfactory for a high high top end. might see about changing the lifters on the one bank today and see what i get. i dont have any way to post a vid of the sound, I called Darren while i standing next to the car and he could hear it over me talking. guess il play with it today

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
its not hard to miss rod knock. This is a lifter tapping and its definately in the top end as if you stick your head under the car its a lot quieter, its not in the bottom end. Oil pressure is good, everything in top end looked satisfactory for a high high top end. might see about changing the lifters on the one bank today and see what i get. i dont have any way to post a vid of the sound, I called Darren while i standing next to the car and he could hear it over me talking. guess il play with it today

Post it up on Youtube and all the other vid hosting sites.

Xtrempickup
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
i dont have anything to tape the sound with. il fix it tonight hopefully.

Mr overkill
05-29-2008, 02:58 PM
its a late reaction to the 408 hp pull the other day HEHE

mock_glh
05-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Look for a lifter that collapses as you crank the engine over.

Xtrempickup
05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
guess il be pulling the cover and running this

Turbo224
05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind that the new lifters will take a little while to pump up, so they will be loud for a little while.

CSXT802
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
its a late reaction to the 408 hp pull the other day HEHE
Hey now, you could have been there with us putting down some great #'s.;)

Xtrempickup
05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
i have some old ones also, im gonna try to figure out which and save changing them all on the one side, gonna start now

With Kids
05-29-2008, 07:35 PM
If you take the lifters out squeeze them between your fingers or pliers protected from the teeth with a couple of times. They should stay hard, if it pumps down that is the noisy one. You can take them apart and clean or you might get lucky if you compress them in a vise to squirt all the junk out and let them refill while running, I had similar cars take a half hour of running and driving before quieting up.If you go to Auto Zone look up a 1992 Mazda MPV with a 3.0 TSB for valvetrain noise there is good info. By the way I saw you had a spare short block would you want to sell it? I need at least a crank and rod. I live near Philadelphia. Thanks

Mr overkill
05-29-2008, 08:39 PM
its all taken care bad lifter swapped it out with a spare one :)

Xtrempickup
05-29-2008, 08:52 PM
put back together, its nice to drive without hearing that mess of noise in car, anybody outside would hear it twice as loud