PDA

View Full Version : More 3.0L Issues.....

nmw2006
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
This thing is driving me nuts.....

I got the clutch/flywheel issues fixed, car is mostly put back together.

Looking for some help on this, you turn key on and everything is normal, but when you go to start it, nothing happens, no clicks, no lights, no nothing.

sounds to me like a safety switch, but on my 91' R/T i can't find the neutral safety switch?? anyone know where it is?

also, the parts guy at the dealership said to check the ignition switch and/or starter itself... Any truth to these claims??

thanks for any help, it ran fine before i put the new motor in

PS. car was a T3 roller that i converted to 3.0L/A543, it ran fine, then motor blew, new motor wont start

I moved this from the Help Me !!! thread to here to see if i get any responses...

edit: Motor starts, kinda...., if i turn the key on then jump starter solenoid...

It is also throwing codes 12, 24, 55....but nothing that indicates a starter/electrical issue. (besides TPS, but i know why that one is coming up)

Any clues?

Thanks

nmw2006
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM
More info on TPS issue

My motor harness has an extra 2-pin connector that appears to go to the TPS, but my engine bay harness has no connector for it...:confused:

So I need to know where those wires need to go.

Actually I just need a 3.0L/A543 harness.....

My engine bay harness also has no provision for the 2-pin connector on the trans...is this more than just the back-up lights?? (ie. neutral safety switch?)

Where do these wires/pins need to go?

Thanks for any help as I really need to get this thing going

Ondonti
05-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Have you tried grounding the clutch safety switch? You have to add a manual switch if you want your cruise control to work.

I know you can get the reverse lights and speedo to work without using a a543 harness. I never did the work myself but when I was living away from home my local mechanic did the wiring on my spirit.

I suck at wiring and dont have time to figure out helpful answers for you though :(

And you have the wrong motor harness.
(after reading better)
You need the motor harness that matches your engine bay harness. The wiring is all different on them!!!! some harnesses have two wires for that connector you are talking about, some have 1...etc. I believe one of the wires is usually blue/red? and it goes to the a/c stuff on one harness and something else on another version of the harness.

I had this same problem last summer when I swapped motor harnesses without checking for compatibility.

its easier to find a a604 motor harness and match it to your engine bay harness + fix the wiring then find the a543 engine bay harness (and less damage to your hands removing harnesses.

I dont have a 5 speed compatible starter harness on either of my cars so I just have to splice into the speedo wires BEFORE they get to the connector (I guess I could rebuild the connector but I dont have spare parts for GM weatherpacks to add wires that are missing).

As far as the reverse lights go, I dont know how to wire them. I removed the a604 harness from my car and the tcm and that killed the reverse lights wiring job the mechanic did years ago. I dont know how to fix it.

nmw2006
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Just to clear things up, car is a '91 R/T.

The full car harness is still from the R/T.

All I did was change the engine bay harness (and motor, trans, etc.)

So it should still have the clutch safety switch (where is it????) from the R/T.

I will try to find a compatible motor harness at my local j/y today.

You are correct in assuming that my speedo/speed sensor is not hooked up (connectors don't match)

It does run quite well (not in limp-along) though, even though there are some things not hooked up :confused2: - This seems weird to me.

Thanks again

Ondonti
06-01-2008, 06:06 AM
I would try splicing into the clutch safety switch wire (right off the relays) and grounding it.

That way you can prove your clutch safety switch isnt the problem. I dont like having one of those anyways. I like my thrust bearings :P