PDA

View Full Version : new cumins VGT turbo

JDAWG
05-26-2008, 03:08 PM
anyone messed with one of these? I have access to one. Could I make it work? It electronically controlled. ???

ottawa rogue
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
i changed one out on a ISL about 3 months ago. it looks like it might be air controlled.
there were no wires going to the actuator, just a line from the actuator to the intake manifold...if that's the case you might be able to rig one up some way. i don't know how much pressure it would take to move it though.
the ISL is factory set for 21lbs of boost from the factory if this helps.

if you could make it work somehow, the turbo from an international DT466e is controlled with a stepper motor, that would be kinda neat to run, kind of a "dial a boost" setup.
i bet someone around here could write a control program for it too :D

WVRampage
05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
the one for the 6.7 in the ram is electronicly controled but I havent baan able to get my hands on one yet as the parts manager forced me to trow it in the dumpster so one one could take it,since dodge didnt want it back.

Aries_Turbo
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
the one for the 6.7 in the ram is electronicly controled but I havent baan able to get my hands on one yet as the parts manager forced me to trow it in the dumpster so one one could take it,since dodge didnt want it back.

and why didnt you crawl into the dumpster later when he wasnt looking? ;)

Brian

WVRampage
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
and why didnt you crawl into the dumpster later when he wasnt looking? ;)

Brian

Because she checks to find out were stuff goes and theatens to fire people if they take scrap.

GLHNSLHT2
05-26-2008, 09:22 PM
They weigh about 50 lbs.

ottawa rogue
05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
the one for the 6.7 in the ram is electronicly controled

is it a motor/actuator setup? the only ISB(5.9/6.7) we have in our fleet is a
'99 model with the standard Holset

Aries_Turbo
05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Because she checks to find out were stuff goes and theatens to fire people if they take scrap.

what a bunghole......

JDAWG
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM

what a hoe, i take care of all the warranty returns/scrap at my dealership, im just trying to figure out if I can make this thing work. I mean its a turbo, but how can i control it?

JDAWG
05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I also have a jeep liberty turbo sittin around

Aries_Turbo
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
you should give them both to me. :)

Brian

JDAWG
05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
I cant beleive she made you junk it. Heck I save all the old junk and get some money from the core guy, then we eat pizza on fridays.

ottawa rogue
06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
i had another EVGT to work on yesterday and figured out how they're controlled, at least on the big truck anyway.

they use an actuator that looks kinda like a wastegate can, but it's controlled by truck air (125 or so PSI) through an electronic solenoid.

if you had one to play with, you could put a linear actuator on it to control the vanes. it'd be a pretty cool project

WVRampage
06-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I also have a jeep liberty turbo sittin around

So do I,there are rebuild kits out there for them but the ones with the comp wheel treaded are a pain to get apart.