PDA

View Full Version : A413 in '87 TII wiring question

Anonymous_User
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Putting a complete '87 TII wiring harness in an '86 TI car. Car has an A413 auto.

On the front of the tranny is a wiring connector with three wires. I assume this is reverse lights and maybe neutral safety switch.

The wiring harness has a similar plug but with only two wires. I assume this would be just for reverse lights. The five speed wouldn't have a neutral safety switch.

How do I go about wiring this up? Both harnesses have a purple/black wire and one other common color wire (was it white? I can't recall). The auto tranny harness has a black/white wire that the manual harness doesn't.

Should I just splice the colors that match to the three wire plug? What happens now that I don't have a clutch pedal? Does the '87 require the clutch to be in to start the car? If so, what will need to be jumpered to make the car start?

daytonajesse
12-23-2005, 01:01 AM
I think that wiring connector is for lockup, and a turbo a413 isnt supposed to have that.

Black Shelby Z
12-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Been there, done that. the 3 wires on the tranny harness are for the reverse lights,and the neutral safety. I suggest using an 87 t-1 auto starter harness. thats what I did, and it worked perfect.

Later,
Steve Z

fleckster
12-23-2005, 01:25 AM
I think that wiring connector is for lockup, and a turbo a413 isnt supposed to have that.

'91 and newer turbo A413s did have lock-up.

Anonymous_User
12-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks Gold,

Crap.... That means I need parts. Just when I thought I had everything and could bolt it together this weekend.

Grrrrr......

Question: Will I need an '87 auto starter sub harness or an '87 and newer auto starter sub harness? In '88 they changed to SMEC so did the starter sub harness change at all?

Tony Hanna
12-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Another option would be to just hook up the reverse lights. Since the 5spd cars didn't have a clutch start switch, that's all you'd have to do. The only problem is that you wouldn't have any neutral safety switch, so it will start in gear. That seems to me to be the easiest way to go about it if the starting in gear issue doesn't bother you.
We just had to deal with the opposite in John's Daytona since he went from a 413 to a 555. It was just a matter of grounding the neutral safety wire to get it to start.

85lebaront2
12-23-2005, 09:11 AM
First, 87 up A413s could have lock-up. The connector is on top of the transaxle next to the dipstick hole. The 87 Reliant 2.5L I stripped had one. The automatic starter harness should fit and add the neutral safety. The 5spd harness has a ground for the starter relay that connects to ground on the transaxle, the automatic harness has the same wire, but it goes to the center pin on the neutral safety/backup switch. Most of the starter harnesses will interchange within a few years of each other, the connectors at the side rail just need to match up.