PDA

View Full Version : Which wire is ground on the stereo plug?

firebaron90
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey all,

I just picked up a 90 dodge shadow for the girlfriend. I want to put in a aftermarket stereo for her. It is the NON Infinity system. I have a wiring adapter kit. The kit says that the black wire (in the kit) goes to ground. Well, there is not a black wire to be found on either plug. So, which wire on the factory stereo harness is the ground? On which plug, the black or gray one? I could just ground it to the chassis if all else fails, but i want to just plug it in a go.

TIA!

Joe

BadAssPerformance
05-25-2008, 10:32 AM
It is not in the plugs. Factory radios have the braided ground going to the case, I usually mate the black ground wire on aftermarket radios to that braided eyelet with a tiny nut/washers/bolt. You can also get away with anything metal that is grounded to the chassis.

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Sure they do, my Mini stock harness has a ground wire in it. If you get one of those plug and play adapter harness's, there all marked and its the easy way to do it.

firebaron90
05-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I have one of those plug and play adapters. The instructions say the black wire goes to ground......there is no black wire! lol . The brand is scochie i believe. Oh well i can always do it the hard way.

Joe

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I have one of those plug and play adapters. The instructions say the black wire goes to ground......there is no black wire! lol . The brand is scochie i believe. Oh well i can always do it the hard way.

Joe

Weird, oh well, just run a wire to a nice ground, IE the metal dash part. Theres tons of places behind the radio area, :thumb:

raccoon
05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
those ground wires from inside the dash make great replacments for the same types of grounds for the engine that have rotted away over the years.

/offtopic

chilort
05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
My '86 Daytona also doesn't have a ground in the harness.

I recall some others not having the ground too.

The braided strap is the ground. Many aftermarket radios have a blot in the back for attaching grounds, this is where I go with the strap.

BadAssPerformance
05-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Joe

I've sued that brand... Its not in there cuz your factory ground wire is not in the harness... unless its a van like Simons

firebaron90
05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Leave it to a chrysler to be difficult....of well i just used the ground strap. all is well. Thanks all!

Joe

BadAssPerformance
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Difficult? Thats what the ground strap is for ;)

firebaron90
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Geez JT, dont you ever sleep????:D I just like my stereo installs neat and tidy!

Joe

BadAssPerformance
05-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Nope :D

Thats what the dash bezels are for, to hide all that BS! :thumb: