PDA

View Full Version : Couple little issues...

ShelGame
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I took the R/T out for a little spin tonight. It has a mild misfire in boost - not overboost, as it comes on anywhere from 5-10psi; I didn't see over 11psi on the Autometer guage. Maybe just plugs? Or could it be plugged injectors? I still haven't put in the new (stock) injectors I got for it. I need to change the fuel filter, too. Anything else I should look at? Also, the speedo occasionally dies - SDS?

But, other than that - man I love this car! It's way faster than my Daytona race car, and a whole lot nicer to drive. Though, the suspension is a little softer than I expected for an R/T. I'm selling it to my father-in-law, which means I'll still get to drive it every once in a while :) .

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2008, 11:40 PM
What plugs and what do you have them gapped at?

Wires-what are you using?

Fuel filter wouldn't hurt, :nod:

Turbo3Iroc
05-25-2008, 12:30 AM
My Spirit has a very occasional miss at part throttle like that but it seems to only do it when it is cool out and rain/mist. It happens so infrequently I forget about it but it always comes back. Could be a coil pack or even a TPS.

The speedo and tach also occasionally drop on it also which I also haven't bothered to do anything about either. Both pretty infrequent and at different times. Could be the speed sensor but it could also be the speedo unit or wiring.

Get a set of Eibachs in that car and or some 17's. Nice and firm ride but doesn't beat you up either. Or you might just need some shocks and or struts.

glht_omni
05-25-2008, 12:47 PM
second on the plug gap mine are set at .035, autolite 63's and grab a set of magnecores or auroras. also these engines hate anything less than 91 octane.

i have kyb gr2 shocks and struts with lowering eibach springs, it handles great and hugs the ground very good, i still see a pot hole or the rail road tracks and clinch my teeth, but every time i am shocked at how smooth it rides over it, a quick bounce and your done, the steering wheel doesnt pull either.
your more than welcome to take it for a test drive anytime! i'll be in the I-75/8 mile rd area all day tomorrow (memorial day) if you want to meet up.

ShelGame
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
second on the plug gap mine are set at .035, autolite 63's and grab a set of magnecores or auroras. also these engines hate anything less than 91 octane.

i have kyb gr2 shocks and struts with lowering eibach springs, it handles great and hugs the ground very good, i still see a pot hole or the rail road tracks and clinch my teeth, but every time i am shocked at how smooth it rides over it, a quick bounce and your done, the steering wheel doesnt pull either.
your more than welcome to take it for a test drive anytime! i'll be in the I-75/8 mile rd area all day tomorrow (memorial day) if you want to meet up.

Would low octane cause a misfire, though? The gas in it now is still really old stuff. At least a year old. I put a can fuel injector cleaner in it, but still haven't run out the old gas. Need to get a plate on it so I can really drive it.

glht_omni
05-29-2008, 08:44 PM
mine sat for 3 years and i grounded out the asd GRN/BLK wire to pump it all out and then threw in a 1/2 tank of 93 for the maiden voyage.
yeah i accidently put 87 in my 2nd r/t with 15psi and it would pop like crazy above 10psi, cleared up after i filled twice as much 93 in it.

how are the cals coming along, the t3 ones of course, lol.

ShelGame
05-29-2008, 10:16 PM
mine sat for 3 years and i grounded out the asd GRN/BLK wire to pump it all out and then threw in a 1/2 tank of 93 for the maiden voyage.
yeah i accidently put 87 in my 2nd r/t with 15psi and it would pop like crazy above 10psi, cleared up after i filled twice as much 93 in it.

how are the cals coming along, the t3 ones of course, lol.

I can do 2-bar T3 cals, no problem. Still working on building a 3-bar version. I'm going to get my Turbonator SBEC code finished first, then finish up my T3 stuff...

glht_omni
05-30-2008, 02:11 PM
awesome, i am itching to go 3 bar with this one, out of curiousity, with +20's and a afpr what is the highest boost i courld run those on a 2 bar cal, 19-20psi? i may just grab a new 2 bar for now to replace my stg1 15psi cal i have in it now.

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
awesome, i am itching to go 3 bar with this one, out of curiousity, with +20's and a afpr what is the highest boost i courld run those on a 2 bar cal, 19-20psi? i may just grab a new 2 bar for now to replace my stg1 15psi cal i have in it now.

You can run as much as you want, providing you have the fuel, :eyebrows:

glht_omni
05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
well i know that, lol. but i was wondering whats recomended to be safe with only (4) +20's and no meth injection on a 2 bar cal?

ShelGame
06-04-2008, 07:42 AM
OK, the misfire is really bad at anything more than half throttle. I can't really get a feel for it either. It's not cutout - it's too sporadic to be that. Sometimes it's a soft misfire, sometimes bucking like cutout. The only code I get is 15 (SDS) - I think the connector is bad, the speedo comes and goes.

I still need to replace the parts I mentioned above, but I did manage to run the old gas down to about 1/4 tank. So, this morning I filled up with 91 octane and drove it to work. Cruises just fine, but that miss is annoying. I want to feel the POWER!!!

I'm gonna change the plugs and injectors tonight - I'll post whether it helps or not.

glht_omni
06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
sounds like it could be a bad plug (or gapped to big) or a dirty injector. if not, i would check the bottom of the tank for debris clogging the strainer.
i had 3 year old gas in my r/t. it didnt smell too bad, just stale, but it looked good, so i pumped it all out (about 8 gallons) and stuck it in my 66' pontiac. well eben in that big block carbed pig, it ran like crap and wanted to stall at idle even when fully warmed up. i have had issues with bad gas, old gas and crap in the tank so its not uncommon for me, i rule it out by draining it and checking and cleaning the tank and throwing a new filter and strainer on the suspected newly acquired vehicles.

Turbo3Iroc
06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
You're on the right track Rob. Have you changed the fuel filter?

ShelGame
06-04-2008, 01:18 PM
You're on the right track Rob. Have you changed the fuel filter?

No, not yet. I'm too lazy to crawl under there. Thought, I'd try the easy ones to get at first...

turbovanmanČ
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Disconnect the SDS and see what happens, remember my problem, :(

glht_omni
06-04-2008, 02:39 PM
as far as the sds, i believe (as i have seen about 5) they were problematic as they siliconed the plug connectors on them from the factory. my tach will act a little screwy from time to time but hasnt affected the driving or thew a code

ShelGame
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
OK, tonights report: A couple of the plug wires weren't on tight (pretty loose actually), and a couple of the plugs were'nt as tight as I usually like them. Even a little carbon up on the threads. Could've sworn I tightened them. But, they're a set of used NGK Iridium's and they don't use the seal ring. I gues they could've loosened. Or maybe I just didn't hit them as hard as I thought I had. So anyway, I swapped out the plugs and resecured the wires. I also swapped out the injectors (since I had a new set available) as well as the fuel filter.

No More Missfire!

Also, sometime on the way to work or on the way home, during a bad bout of misfire, I picked up another issue - the idle won't go below 2k rpm now. When I first started it the up a month ago, the idle was perfect. Now, 2k. What gives? I looked for broken/cracked/disconnected vac lines and couldn't find anything. The AIS motor is still hooked up. Could it have failed? I don't get any codes, though...

turbovanmanČ
06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
The plugs should have gaskets, if they have a taper, they are the wrong ones.

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see what happens.

ShelGame
06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah, it's definitely not vacuum related, I think. Now, when coming to a stop, it will kind of surge. The idle will go up and down between 1500-2000 rpm. Strange.

I'll pull the black ECU wire and reset the computer. See if it goes away...

Yes, they were the taper type of plugs. Maybe that's why they loosened up? Guy at Autostoned sold them to me. It doesn't matter. I switched to Champions now. I'm no longer a fan of the Iridium's...

glht_omni
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
i forgot to hook up the main brake booster vac hose from the intake port and it wouldnt drop below 2k and had alot of white smoke coming out the pipe so make sure you didnt forget to hook a line back up.
make sure the temp sensor, tps and ais are all hooked up, i think any of those unplugged will cause it to idle higher and enter limp in mode.

ShelGame
06-05-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't think it's a hose. It was idling just fine for the first 20 miles or so. Then it went to this high idle thing. Plus, it surges now too.

glht_omni
06-05-2008, 08:51 AM
no codes i take it?

ShelGame
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Nope...

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes, they were the taper type of plugs. Maybe that's why they loosened up? Guy at Autostoned sold them to me. It doesn't matter. I switched to Champions now. I'm no longer a fan of the Iridium's...

Why? Iridiums rock, :clap:

BTW, for next time, tell the idiot you have an 8 valve, they use the same plug, lol!

ShelGame
06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I originally bought these Iridiums for my 8v. It's just the way they came. They seemed OK in the Daytona; at least they didn't loosen up. I only used them to get it running OK, then I switched to the colder Accel 113's.

Anyway, it's fine now. Gonna reset the computer before I leave work today...

risen
06-05-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't think it's a hose. It was idling just fine for the first 20 miles or so. Then it went to this high idle thing. Plus, it surges now too.

I'm wondering if it could be the speed sensor doing it? My csx did that when I had a bad connection. Never even threw a code cause it was flaky, but your symptoms sound exactly like it (high, hunting idle).

ShelGame
06-05-2008, 02:18 PM
SDS has been working fine since just before the idle started hunting, though.

ShelGame
06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
OK fixed! It was the PCV hose at the manifold. It had popped off. Hard to see under the rad hose and all the other stuff. Also fixed the A/C (you mean that doesn't work without the pressure switch connected? huh...). It has a nice 800rpm idle now. Seriously, this car is a ton of fun to drive. :) I have to figure out a way to bring it to SDAC...

Next issue: After backing out of the driveway, I go foward maybe 10 feet and I hear a 'clunk' from the rear end. It's only immediately after backing. It kind of sounds like a gear lash thing, if this was a RWD car. Could it be a brake pad/shoe hanging up somehow? Does the Spirit R/T use the same drum inside the disk setup that the '91 Daytona uses?

turbovanmanČ
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Yep, same e-brake setup.

Its probably the pads moving around on the ears, your loaded one direction then they move when you go the other way.

I know, there fun, even though mine isn't quite a real TIII, its wicked, so much power under the curve, I barely need to touch my loud pedal, :clap:

glht_omni
06-09-2008, 06:01 PM
same thing that happened to me, i forgot to hook up the brake booster vac hose to the port just below the pcv nipple and it would not drop below 2k.

are you bringing it to sdac? red or white?

ShelGame
06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
White. I may bring it to the car show. Not sure yet. If you register for the car show, does that go toward the drag race? Or do I have to pay twice? $80 for racing I can swing, but an additional $50 for the car show is too much to spend in one weekend. I need to save some money for race parts! Car show is Sat., right?

glht_omni
06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
the car show is included with your basic registration which includes a pass for every day, the goody bag and hospitality night. the drag day is another $80-90 fee but if you just want to come out for drag racing you can pay $10 for a 1 day registration pass and then just pay for drag racing.
i paid for my sdac membership and the basic registration ($80 total for both) and then i will be paying for drag racing ($80) this friday or onsite ($85) on sat morning

if you read through the sdac18 link on www.sdac.org barry has every possible question already answered (drag racing the tow vehicle, joining just one event, fees, etc.)
if you can swing it, bring both cars, pay for both basic reg. and drag and attend as much as you can. i will definetly be there for sat (show) drag racing (tues) and possibly entering or at least spectating the road course, (sun or mon, cant remember)

ShelGame
06-10-2008, 08:43 AM
the car show is included with your basic registration which includes a pass for every day, the goody bag and hospitality night. the drag day is another $80-90 fee but if you just want to come out for drag racing you can pay $10 for a 1 day registration pass and then just pay for drag racing.
i paid for my sdac membership and the basic registration ($80 total for both) and then i will be paying for drag racing ($80) this friday or onsite ($85) on sat morning

if you read through the sdac18 link on www.sdac.org barry has every possible question already answered (drag racing the tow vehicle, joining just one event, fees, etc.)
if you can swing it, bring both cars, pay for both basic reg. and drag and attend as much as you can. i will definetly be there for sat (show) drag racing (tues) and possibly entering or at least spectating the road course, (sun or mon, cant remember)

I could only swing the car show and drag racing. I got family commitments on the weekends ( 2 boys). I can't come up there every day.

If I could enter the car show for $10 and then go drag racing on Tues for $80 - I can swing that. Otherwise, I'll just go racing...

glht_omni
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
drop barry a line to be sure, but i think that is an option.