PDA

View Full Version : Where to find .91 transfer gears

bfarroo
05-23-2008, 07:55 PM
So Like everyone else I'm looking to get a little better mileage in the DD (89 Spirit ES 2.5 TI) and want to swap out the transfer gears to lower the RPM's a bit. I see a lot of post on using the .91 gears but no mention of what cars to look for at the yard and what tooth count the set should be. Anyone know? I may hit the yard tomorrow and want to have an idea what to look for.

Thanks,

Captain Chaos
05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
So Like everyone else I'm looking to get a little better mileage in the DD (89 Spirit ES 2.5 TI) and want to swap out the transfer gears to lower the RPM's a bit. I see a lot of post on using the .91 gears but no mention of what cars to look for at the yard and what tooth count the set should be. Anyone know? I may hit the yard tomorrow and want to have an idea what to look for.

Thanks,

http://www.turbodiy.com/Mopar%20Pages/Tranny%20upgrades%20detail.htm

It gives tooth count. Sorry Thats all the info I can offer.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I have a guide that tells you the trans numbers to what gears are inside at home, I'll post it up later.

TurboJerry
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
The cars I always see the .91's in are carbureted L-bodys with the 2.2 though. I've seen the 1.7 VW engine ones have 1.23's though. (very rare btw)

glhs727
05-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I got three good used sets laying around. Call me, I'll sell you one.
Later,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Here you go!

http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/transmain.html

bfarroo
05-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Here you go!

http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/transmain.html

Cool, one of the spare trans I have here has the .91 gears, I'm going to take a look at the trans in the shadow I'm using for ice racing and see what that has in it, being an 88 I'm betting it has the 91 gears in it also so I can pull the 91's out of there and put the 106's in from the spirit as the gearing was a little high last year and I wasn't getting the rpm's up in second by the end of the straight. Should be able to kill 2 birds with one stone. :) Now is there anything special required to remove the gears?

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Now is there anything special required to remove the gears?

You need some pullers, IE a steering wheel puller should work fine.

The nuts have to be torqued to around 200 ft/lbs and use loctite.

They have preload shims behind the gears so don't mix them up. You should recheck the preload when swapping but that requires the trans to be apart but so far, I and others have had no issues as long as you keep the shims/collar in the original trans.

bfarroo
05-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I pulled the cover off the shadow and it had the 106 gears in it already so I put that back on and pulled the ones from the spare trans, I kept all the shims in place on the spirit trans and installed the gears, cleaned the threads and nuts with brake cleaner and installed the nuts at 200 ft/lbs with red loctite. Added some fluid and took it for a ride, looks to have dropped RPM a few 100 and I don't notice any loss in power, I can still light the tires up from a dead stop without power braking. We'll have to see what the next few fillups show for mileage. I've been right around 23 for the last few filups so hopefully this will give some kind of improvement. Now it's time to order an exhaust, I still need to decided on a muffler and if I want to go 2.5 or 3in. I don't plan on changing out the mitsu any time soon and have plenty of other cars for the strip so I'm leaning toward the 2.5 as the 3 is probably overkill and requires more room to install. We'll see.