PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 plenum spacers?

WickedShelby88
05-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Has anyone seen these lately? Found a link on dodge garage to a guys site that spoke of these phenolic plenum spacers for the 3.0 engines. I guess they help.
I also plan to do the T1 injector swap as well. Anyone experience with this stuff and where to find parts?

Dodge Aries K
05-22-2008, 03:51 AM
On your van dont' do the injector swap. Your SMPI setup won't like the higher impediance of the older injectors. I wanted to do that to mine too. Best bet for you would be to first find a throttle body from an 87-88 3.0 since they're 52mm instead of a craptastic 46mm. My Neons have 52mm throttle bodies on them and even that is on the border for big enough on a 2.0L engine.

Ondonti
05-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Cheetahonline.com or ask Mike @ kmperformance.com if he wants to make you one. He usually only makes them in batches if he has time. kmperformance has actually dyno tested 1" spacers. There is always grief about fitting under the hood though. Smaller thicknesses have not been tested.

Cheetahonline person I kindly refer to as Paul Stealabile. He also sells the best shifter bushings available for our cars (unless you make some out of metal for yourself) but it is a guessing game if you will recieve anything.

changing the injectors in a 3.0 is a worthless mod since the computer will adapt to the injectors and run exactly the same.

You have to use a piggyback if you want to change anything. Install a 55psi turbo regulator or an adjustable one if you want extra fuel. Larger injectors dont make any sense. Either way, injectors or regulator, the computer will adapt.

WickedShelby88
05-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Thats true, but it might help if you bump the timing a bit to have the extra available. Well maybe I can run some FFV injectors from a V6 car or van. SBEC would only adapt so much I would think. I bet the TB upgrade along with an underdrive pulley and those spacers would be the ticket though. No clearance problems for me. I can make some of my own I just wonder what the trick is in the spacers themselves as to how the holes are shaped.

Ondonti
05-23-2008, 05:40 AM
I dont see how it will help you. Ive seen time after time, stock injectors are the way to go. Adding fuel wont add any hp.

If you add injectors that are so large that the computer cant adapt, it will just get horrible economy and make less power.

A stock fuel 3.0 runs in the mid/high 12's AF ratio with all the mods (including ported plenums) and adding fuel will kill hp. Less modded 3.0's should probably pull fuel if you have the luxury of a wideband in order to keep things safe. Of course this would only work at the racetrack with you disconnecting the battery between runs to clear the computer. Longterm the computer would adapt away any changes you made in fuel.

Every 14 second 3.0 has run stock injectors. Every person that has tried larger injectors just ends up giving up or going back to stock.

You need a piggyback or modded calibration to mess with fuel and accomplish something positive. Or full EMS.

Ondonti
05-23-2008, 05:43 AM
If you want to make your own spacer, you can just use the gasket as a template. The ports are circular. Be careful about the hole size as the lower runners are not quite the size of the gasket holes.

BadAssPerformance
05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Larger injectors? For better fuel ecomony?

moved to 3.0L section

nmw2006
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM
+1 on the comments about cheetahonline:mad:

it took him 4 months and several threatening emails to get my spacers AFTER i paid for them. And he only sent me the 1" plenum spacers, not the tb spacer i ordered - still fighting about that...........

As far as fitting goes, i have the 1" spacers on my spirit and the plenum DOES touch the hood, you will barely get the hood closed with them on in a AA car.

Anyhow, wether you choose to buy some or make your own, good luck:thumb:

roguetrip
05-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I ordered the 1" spacers and derlin shifter bushings from cheetah online, I ordered the shifter bushings first and took about 3 weeks, communication was decent and product was good. Thinking that the shifter bushings deal went good I decided to order the 1" intake spacers, it took him a month and about 5ish emails before I got them, he said he had computer problems but who knows, what I did notice is that he lives in Indiana but the spacers came from PA I believe so he must be sending orders to someone else to do the work. The spacers I recieved had the bolt holes missaligned a bit from the gasket and had to be enlarged. the supplied hardware (bolts) was SAE and not metric m8x70mm bolts which cost me an extra $15 to buy.

If you don't want to make them talk to Mike at KMPerformance for a group buy, if you don't own a caravan or older daytona stay away from the 1" spacers, even on my 1990 Dodge Daytona I get a bit of rub on the hood with solid polybushing motor mounts.

As for the injectors just run stock since the computer will lean it out when sensed by the O2 sensor after a week or 2.

As for mods there is a bit that can be done to the 3.0 to gain a touch of power.

Ondonti
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
+1 on the comments about cheetahonline:mad:

it took him 4 months and several threatening emails to get my spacers AFTER i paid for them. And he only sent me the 1" plenum spacers, not the tb spacer i ordered - still fighting about that...........

As far as fitting goes, i have the 1" spacers on my spirit and the plenum DOES touch the hood, you will barely get the hood closed with them on in a AA car.

Anyhow, wether you choose to buy some or make your own, good luck:thumb:

I removed a little of the support on the hood where it used to rub and that made the 1" spacer problem go away long ago :D

When you have bad motor mounts, your engine also sits lower so if you fix those you might end up hitting the hood again. That is why I had to massage the underside of the hood.

WickedShelby88
06-04-2008, 01:33 AM
I have a 94 voyager so I won't have any problems with the spacers. I am planning on getting an SBEC from a 94 3.0/A670 van like mine to socket and mess with. I guess I will leave well enough alone with the injectors. On the later SBEC vans it sounds like a bad idea. I would think however that running the 52mm TB style intake wouldn't hurt a bit. Sounds like I need to get a wide band before I do anything at all and then focus on pulling some fuel at cruise speeds. It already spark knocks at moderate throttle which is something I have to figure out first and foremost.

pugsly
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
i am looking for a set of spacers i would like a set of 1/2 but i could make 1in ones fit having a hard time finding them