PDA

View Full Version : NPR in a G-body

supercrackerbox
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Right now I'm toying with the idea of re-designing the mounting/plumbing of the small NPR IC in my Shelby Z to allow for something that will be a first for me: A funtional AC system. Now, another odd one for me, I want it to look as good as it works. So first off, has anyone been successful with something like this? And more importantly, how much space should I allow between the intercooler, condensor, and radiator? Radiator is from an 86 GLHT btw.

tryingbe
03-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Just put the intercooler in FRONT of the condensor. There are plenty of space there. Then, you just need to figure out a way for the pipings... cutting sheet metal helps.

89DaytonaTII
03-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd put the IC "upside down" from the norm, and have the piping routed underneath the rad support.

Directconnection
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Hello guys. I moved this thread to "Induction" where it is better suited for viewing.

The Fabrication forum is more of an area showcasing the "how-to's" and DIY (do it yourself) results.

For example: I actually clicked on this thread to see how someone *had* installed the NPR in their G-body as I am preparing for the same installation in a friend's car soon.

Steve Mercier

supercrackerbox
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry about that. I've already fabbed mounting for this IC into two cars, I was looking for some input on a re-fabrication.

I planned on putting the IC in front of the condenser. At the moment I have about 1" space between the radiator and IC cores. Mainly I'm wanting to know how much space should be between each item so that one item isn't picking up too much heat off of another.

Directconnection
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
No biggie. Just trying to keep things tidy:)

As for the spacing, I wouldn't worry too much about how close it is (unless it's touching) but too far away can have an undesireable effect as well. Air moving through the cores will take the least path of resistance. Ex: if you had a 3" gap between the NPR and yor radiator... the air exiting the NPR's core would rather flow off the face of the radiator and up and over it rather than being forced through it. If you blocked off the top, then I am "guessing" the air flow through would be turbulent to a larger degree which would have an effect on not just the airflow throught the rad, but also the airflow trying to pass through the NPR's core. This is just speculation... But I wouldn't worry about 1" being too close.