PDA

View Full Version : leather steering wheel

supercrackerbox
05-21-2008, 01:13 AM
I have a GLHS steering wheel in my Charger, and while the leather is still in really great shape, it's starting to show some discolored spots. What can I do about this? I was thinking black shoe polish maybe? :confused2:

Clay
05-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Ive thought the same thing but what worries me is how much of that black shoe polish will come off on your hands while your driving? Thats the only thing that has stopped me! ;)

supercrackerbox
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
That's what I was thinking as well.

2.216VTurbo
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Done it lots of times with the black 'paste' polish on a rag, it lasts a while but the sun will fade it pretty fast:o And actually, the whell has a nice grippy feel for a while:D

glhs231
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I might have some stuff that will work. A friend of mine makes his own car car products. Can you bring it with you for the meeting? If not I'll send some back with you. Later, Steve

Xtrempickup
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
have you tried basic leather care products? stuff like saddle soap and the stuff you spray on a rag and whipe on?

supercrackerbox
05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
have you tried basic leather care products? stuff like saddle soap and the stuff you spray on a rag and whipe on?

Not yet, I plan to do that when I wash the car this weekend. But I want to get rid of the brown spots that have formed. Basically the top layer of leather is just starting to show some wear, and I'm trying to take care of it before it gets worse.

Steve, I'll be driving the SC to the meet (barring any issues) so the wheel will be there too. Had to spring for the GLHS wheel, I can't stand the feel of a vinyl wheel. :o

87glhs
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/recolorkits.htm

This place sells a very good quality alcohol-based re-dying kit for $50--the wheel and (momo) shifter are both made from top-coated leather.

It's a several step process--they just advise that you stay away from any/all stitching.

:thumb:

supercrackerbox
06-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Hmm, that may be a bit of an issue, as the worst spots are at the seams near the 3 and 9 positions. But I'll contact them and see what they have to say.

Thanx!