PDA

View Full Version : 87 Daytona windshield: glued in or held in with a rubber molding??

Clay
05-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Im getting conflicting info from different glass installation places on this 87 Daytona Shelby Z.

Some tell me the windshield requires no molding for installation (ie its glued in, like 99% of the 80s dodges seem to be), and other places (including a well known national chain) tell me it needs a molding. Funny thing is I get a quote from the national chains website and it mentions nothing about a molding. Talk to a real person, and now it needs one!

this is an 87 Daytona, non-t-top car w/ a sunroof.

Also, does anyone know: will an 87 Lebaron 'Vert windshield fit an 87 Daytona windshield? :thumb:

Turbodave
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Pretty sure it's glued in and needs a molding. The molding doesn't hold it in, just seals it up, but it's nearly impossible to not ruin the molding when you pull the old windshield.

Clay
05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
hmmmmmm where does this molding sit?

Turbodave
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
On my shadow there is a molding that fits on the top and both sides of the winshield. Originally it had 3 pieces, but has been superseded to a one piece part. It's been a while since I looked at a Daytona winshield but I would imagine that it's similar.

The only ones I can think of that wouldn't need a new molding are the L-bodies that have the metal trim that snaps in all around the windshield. of course on those your stuck replacing a bunch of clips instead.

mcsvt
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Molding like Dave said. I was quoted just under $300 by a friend that does windshields for a living, his boss calculated it at cost for him though and that included new moldings.

You could contact Frank (clocktowersniper) as he used to (may still) be in the glass business.

BadAssPerformance
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
'87 Daytona windshield is glued on and the molding has little easy to break metal clips holding it in. Molding can be re-used. My windshield cost me ~$200 installed.

bfarroo
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
chances are most places are not going to be able to get the molding off without ruining it or they just won't take the time to try. The molding is actually the door seal on both sides and then the piece across the top. All three are installed on the glass and then it is glued into place.

Turbo_Rampage
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
I just bought a new PPG windshield for my Daytona which was $138 for a shaded one. (tinted band on the top) and i bought the moulding kit as well, which was $60 and it's a three piece kit. I also got two tubes of eurothane for $20 and i think you'll be better off just getting the moulding kit, because if the windshield was replaced before then chances are the last installer got eurothane all over the upper moulding and you'll pretty much destroy it trying to get it off, because it's made of thin metal which is coated in rubber. You have to remove the hood to replace the windshield as well...

MiniMopar
05-21-2008, 02:28 AM
+1

The windshield is structural in these cars. It attaches the firewall to the roof. The A-pillars help out too. To connect all these, it is mounted using a butyl sealant but polyurethane works too. If you are going through the trouble of removing the windshield yourself and installing it, I would fix the leak-causing joints first. The spot welds where the A pillar meets the roof seem to fatigue and allow flexing in this area. This cracks the old, brittle sealant and causes leaks. At the very least clean these joints out and reseal them. Better yet...weld the seams.

jj86gn
07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Turbo Rampage,

Where did you get your windshield and moulding kit??? I have a friend who will install the windshield for me for free, I just need to get him all the parts..

rich tideswell
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Also, does anyone know: will an 87 Lebaron 'Vert windshield fit an 87 Daytona windshield? :thumb:

I'm pretty positive the windshield is shared between Daytona (all roof styles), and the LeBaron coupe and convertable

I just bought a new PPG windshield for my Daytona which was $138 for a shaded one. (tinted band on the top) and i bought the moulding kit as well, which was $60 and it's a three piece kit. ..

'87 Daytona windshield is glued on and the molding has little easy to break metal clips holding it in. Molding can be re-used.

Sounds like you bought a kit for the last gen Daytona. My 92 is like that. 3 mouldings that are glued in. My 88 Daytona was different, it was like JT described.