PDA

View Full Version : Neon R/T - Are they decent?

85_600
03-06-2006, 08:32 PM
This is smilar to the other thread about Neons.

I'm having a hard time finding a decent Neon ( in general ) that has the 5 spd in my area. The only one I've found is this:

2001 R/T (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=196330366&dealer_id=75125&car_year=2001&search_type=used&make=DODGE&distance=50&model=DODNEON&address=44281&certified=&advanced=&max_price=6000&bkms=1141691046718&min_price=1&end_year=2001&start_year=2001&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=15)

I'm a little leary of even looking at it. Just call me gun shy from my past purchases ( I'm currently on car #4 in 1.5 years:o .) But, I'm looking for something that gets good mileage, has some "UMPH" with it ( doesn't need a lot of upmh ) and that's in my price range. This R/T is all of that, but upon checking out AllPar, there is something about the "..needing 'Premium Gas'" with the Magnum engine that just scares me.

This R/T is, so far, the only Neon that has just about eveything I'm looking for in a decent mpg car.

Any thoughts on them - What are some trouble areas I should look at / for?

At least this is from a dealer that I've bought from in the past - and a Dodge dealer as well.

Thanks,
Paul

mcsvt
03-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Honestly, I kinda like it. If it was taken care of decently, I would think it would be a nice car. A 2001 car for under $5000 doesn't sound bad to me.

If I was looking for a daily that would be a good option.

Good luck with the purchase, sorry the 600 didn't work out for you.

shadow88
03-06-2006, 11:52 PM
That looks like a good deal. Premium fuel is probably the worst part of making that a daily driver. No luck finding a non- r/t 5 speed car I suppose. Cuz they rock on fuel milage!!

Good points- good on fuel when driven nice, 4 door versatility ( I think it's a good thing), can be purchased with extended warranty:thumb: , FAR better than the 95-99 neons.

Bad points, steering racks seem to leak a fair bit, lower control arm bushings "fall out", front brakes every 2 years or so. And that's about it. I'm a bigger fan of the 2000+ neons, and I think you found a good deal.:nod: -jaim

jckrieger
03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
front brakes every 2 years or so. And that's about it. I'm a bigger fan of the 2000+ neons, and I think you found a good deal.:nod: -jaim

When did front brakes become an issue on the Neons? We got 90K miles out of the original brake pads on our 95 highline.

contraption22
03-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Premium fuel means you pay an extra 10 cents a gallon. In a car that's going to get 30+mpg, how much does that really matter? If it were me, I would definitely pick that up as a daily driver!

91DSX
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I love my 2002 Neon R/T even modified some things (AEM CAI, Strut Bar, etc). The gearing is awesome for the power it has and the car handles like a go-cart, almost as good as my Daytona on some turns, oh and the two-stage intake manifold with a cold air kit sounds KILLER. . .I've got a silver one with black leather and all the options: compass/temp gauge, 4 disc cd changer, power sunroof, gold warranty (free oil changes), 4 wheel disc w/ABS, traction control, etc. It has given me NO problems, awesome car for the money!!!

P.S. An SRT-4 swap isn't that difficult for it either, can you say sleeper?

BIG PSI
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM
There are a couple of BRAN NEW 2005 Neon SXT's at Falls Dodge in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Both of them are silver and both have 5-spped manual trannys. They come nicely equipped with a/c. ps,pdb, pw, pdl, rear def, alum rims, and fog lights. You can BUY them for like $11,500 NEW and then get a Mopar Extended Service Contract good for 5 years or 100,000 with a $50.00 for around $1400 more. So if something breaks while you are making payment after the first 3 years or 36,000 miles you only pay $50.00 and you get a FREE loaner.

Check them out....BTW they get 29 mpg city and 36 mph highway on 86 octane.

Chuck

dodgeshadowchik
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
i have a '99 neon r/t. this version had the DOHC 2.0L engine and does not require premuim fuel, unless you are running the mopar performance PCM. :)

i love my car. it's an excellent daily driver. gets over 30mpg and has quite a bit of go. the 98-99 M/Y neons saw many improvements over the previous years. most of the "bugs" were worked out like the infamous head gasket. these cars got the MLS gasket. Chrysler also worked on the NVH. mine has 135,000 miles and you wouldn't notice!

persoanlly, i like the 1st gen's better than the 2nd in looks. but the 2nd gen r/t's do have better styling and i wouldn't mind having one. I just wish the 2nd gen cars were offered in a coupe, like my '99 is. :)

J&G_BlueGLH
03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Id say so. I love my Neon. :p

ScottD
03-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a 2005 Neon SXT five speed. I drive it daily. Last tank it got 33.41mpg. I just recently drove a 2003 Neon R/T because I wanted to see the difference, and I wanted to see how the exhaust sounded as I'm mulling a dual outlet muffler for my SXT. The R/T had better seats, four wheel disc brakes, and a stiffer suspension. It was marginally faster, it felt torquier to me. But for daily driving I like the SXT, it takes regular gas and the suspension is softer. If you can afford new I think they're a great deal. Many dealers still have some in stock and the deals have to be good. I bought mine in Sept 05 when DC was doing the employee pricing deal.

JDAWG
03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
The only difference between the R/T and the regular neon power wise is the PCM and I think the intake system is a little different. So esentially you could buy a regular neon and put a R/T computer in it and have an R/T except for the suspension and brake differences.

ScottD
03-10-2006, 12:07 PM
The R/Ts have the tuned intake manifold on them. It changes the runner length essentially.

The base and SXTs weigh less than the R/T. The base and SXTs have 132hp, the R/T 150hp, but when you factor in the weight difference, the power advantage of the R/T isn't as big. The R/T may have shorter gearing though. I personally like the 01-02 ACRs also, all the good stuff of the R/T without the bodywork.

contraption22
03-10-2006, 12:45 PM
The 2001-up R/T's and ACR's also have a different SOHC head. The exhaust ports are much improved over the regular neon SOHC head. It's a very desirable piece.

fleckster
03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
If you can afford new I think they're a great deal. Many dealers still have some in stock and the deals have to be good. I bought mine in Sept 05 when DC was doing the employee pricing deal.

I can still get people the Employee price on almost every Chrysler Group vehicle. Ask me about it if interested. I really need to get that "Sticky" made up about that!

JDAWG
03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
The 2001-up R/T's and ACR's also have a different SOHC head. The exhaust ports are much improved over the regular neon SOHC head. It's a very desirable piece.
You are right. Just double checked. Just remembered reading an old Mopar News about hopping one up and they said first thing get an R/T computer

CUDA_TUGGER
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
That is a very desirable Neon and not a bad price either. I am surprised at 94k for a 2001. That is a magnum head, the exhuast manifold is a little header, white faced gauges, rear disc brakes, heavy duty sway bars, special deck lid spoiler, seats etc. There are a few special things to the R/T than the standard Neon. I have a 99 R/T 2.0 DOHC with no AC, no power steering and a 2.4L intake. I ahve the 3:94 trans and I have do not get 30 mpg. Although I can't keep from running it hard.

85_600
03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I was waiting for the results of my oil change on my Saturn to see if I needed to start looking at something else. My previous oil change on my 1993 Saturn SC2 wasn't too good. I had used an older catch pan for the drained oil. At the time I didn't think about wanting to look at the old oil but while waiting for the quarts to empty, I got bored. As I was tipping the catch pan back and forth I noticed small bits of metal. Most were rounded but there were a few that were "shaved and curled". So, thinking the worst, that's why I posted up on about the R/T.

I just did another oil change. This one had only 210 miles on the oil. I filtered the oil as it drained, through a pair of pantyhose. The result? Nothing...nada. No metal whatsoever.

I also had a tapping sound from my cam cover. It most likely a lifter or a couple lifters. About 500 miles before my metal finding oil change I put 12 oz of MMO in the crank. Then the 210 miles later oil change, and my tapping sound is gone.

So, in a nutshell, I won't need to look at another vehicle. I appreciate the thoughts on the R/T and other Neons. I'm glad this post will be around so "IF" something happens ( God forbid - it may, with my luck it just may happen :o ) I have something to look at and read up on Neons.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!
Paul

Oh, if anyone likes Saturns, here a couple pics of mine. A '93 with only 66k miles:

http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/IMG_0135.JPG
http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/IMG_0136.JPG
http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/IMG_0137.JPG

fleckster
03-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Glad to here that things seem to be looking up for you! Keep us posted on your adventures to Saturn! :p