PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 16v hybrid vs 2.0 dohc?

donalson
05-17-2008, 01:28 AM
i've got a line on dohc neon... i'm using it for parts on my neon... it will have a complete DOHC engine...

so this has me wondering... other then the .2L displacment... based on similar turbos and such... which would be the better engine? the 16v 2.2 hybrid or the 2.0 turbo?...

anyone actualy compared?

BadAssPerformance
05-17-2008, 01:35 AM
One benefit to the 2.2L is that it is already a turbo motor so it has lower compression and can handle a decent amount of boost in stock form. With that said, it has been proven that a stock 2.0L engine can handle a decent amount of boost too.

...and they both can be built to make good power so it may come down to which you would like to use in your neon. The 2.0L should be easier since it is already in there?

donalson
05-17-2008, 11:00 AM
sorry i didn't make that clear.. i'm talking for my SC... the neon is just a DD... with '85 SC internals it would make a pretty good 16v hybrid donor me thinks, but the 2.0 would be likely easier...

BadAssPerformance
05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Gotcha...

Well, it depends on if you would rather make motor mounts or hybrid head to block adapter stuff then :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I think the 2.2 is cheaper, stronger and alot easier. To put the 2.0L in, you will need custom mounts, and to run it, either modify the stock electronics or run a aftermarket setup. If your planning on that already, then you just need to fab motor mounts.

Power wise, they should be close to the same as you have to make custom manifolds for either engine anyhow.

Captain Chaos
05-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Iand to run it, either modify the stock electronics or run a aftermarket setup.

I thought you could run your old sensors and such, just need a dist adapter to run the ignition side of it?

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I thought you could run your old sensors and such, just need a dist adapter to run the ignition side of it?

The 2.2 and 2.0L use different sensors and in different locations. I forgot someone is making a dizzy adapter.

rbryant
05-27-2008, 06:21 PM
The first of my distributor adapters has shipped. The rest are waiting for material to come in to get them cut.

One thing to consider is that the 2.4 is overall cheaper than the 2.0 because the SRT internals exist and are cheap. I would be fine with the 2.0 or 2.4 in my GLHS but considering that I bought a 900 mile PT cruiser 2.4l turbo engine (same as the SRT4 engine) for $1100 with turbo that is the best option for the price in my book.

There is also full documentation on the SRT4 swap into a 1G neon available on neons.org.

I guess I am interjecting with another option though. :)

-Rich

glhs502
05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
As far as the TD/2.4 sensors go I found this out last night,.I am using the TD electroins and sensors on the 2.4...the coolant temp sensor will swap, the knock sensor will swap, the oil pressure sensor will work after a trip to Home Depot. The alternator will work after you swap a 2.4 pulley to the TD alt, the power steering will hose will swap. My next hurtle is the AC..and get it running. I'll post some pics and a complete write up very soon. I'm installing a 2.4 NA with a 520 3:50 diff into a 91 Shelby that had a 2.5T/auto.

Russ Jerome
06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
sorry i didn't make that clear.. with '85 SC internals it would make a pretty good 16v hybrid .

The original 1985 2.2 internals would not be a good choice
if your talking the original motor that came with that car.

The rods would be fine but you would want to tap the
block (lighter non common block of -88) for 11mm studs
in stead of its 10mm stock bolts.

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
As far as the TD/2.4 sensors go I found this out last night,.I am using the TD electroins and sensors on the 2.4...the coolant temp sensor will swap, the knock sensor will swap, the oil pressure sensor will work after a trip to Home Depot. The alternator will work after you swap a 2.4 pulley to the TD alt, the power steering will hose will swap. My next hurtle is the AC..and get it running. I'll post some pics and a complete write up very soon. I'm installing a 2.4 NA with a 520 3:50 diff into a 91 Shelby that had a 2.5T/auto.

Dist off the side of the head?

I think we got sidetracked here, I thought he wanted a 2.2 into a Neon?