PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Malibu 3.1 question (simon maybe?)

3Bar_Mopar
05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
This car gets hot...not all the way hot, but pretty warm. I keep having to add coolant and it keeps spitting it back out through the overflow hose that hangs down to the point that the low coolant warning light comes on and leaves a puddle on the ground.
The radiator hoses feel empty all the time when you squeeze them also. I'm thinking the t-stat is stuck closed. I just want some "yay or nay" if I'm on the right track or not....this is our only car at this point.

Thanks!

black86glhs
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
The thermostat is a good idea, but also try replacing the radiator cap. On the L/N body GM cars, it is actually on the coolant bottle, as you have probably already seen. Also, check the oil and make sure there is no milkshake going on.

BadAssPerformance
05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Moved to 'other vehicle' section

turbovanmanČ
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Has the intake been done? Could be the thermostat and there a b*tch to replace. ONLY USE a GM thermostat.

3Bar_Mopar
05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I looked at it and the thermostat looks like a royal pain to replace...is there a good procedure online or from personal experience on how to change it, or where the pitfalls and pissed off points are? I'm not sure if the intake has been done or what...it's my fiance's parents car and we've only had it since Christmas.

black86glhs:
The radiator cap was replaced recently because some asshat stripped out the crappy plastic threads on the old one. No milkshake yet.

black86glhs
05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
No oil in the water is a good sign. I pull the air cleaner lid and intake hose. The exhaust pipe isn't as hard as it looks, just takes some time. IMO, if you can work on a turbo mopar, you can do this.

3Bar_Mopar
05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
No oil in the water is a good sign. I pull the air cleaner lid and intake hose. The exhaust pipe isn't as hard as it looks, just takes some time. IMO, if you can work on a turbo mopar, you can do this.

Yeah, the exhaust pipe looks like the hardest part....no where to get a socket on or even a wrench. If I remove the throttle body, would I be able to get a wrench on that bottom bolt from above?

turbovanmanČ
05-17-2008, 01:03 AM
No need to remove the exhaust.

You can get at one bolt with a wrench and the other with a chrome swivel-13mm heads. Use antiseize on the bolts going back in. It takes awhile this way but faster and easier than removing the crossover pipe.

If the thermostat doesn't have it, drill the 1/16" hole to eliminate air locks.

black86glhs
05-17-2008, 02:09 AM
I guess at home it would be easier to not pull the pipe....good point Simon. Guess i'm the adventurous sort.:evil:

3Bar_Mopar
05-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Got it fixed....seems good so far. Stayed below half on the gauge while bleeding the system. Took me about 45 minutes or so to do. I had to remove the throttle body....that made things a helluva lot easier for the bottom bolt.
Thanks for the tips you guys...I appreciate it. Now if I can just figure out what's going on with my Sundance, I'll be cool.

turbovanmanČ
05-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I guess at home it would be easier to not pull the pipe....good point Simon. Guess i'm the adventurous sort.:evil:

Well I'm lazy and hate doing more work than necessary, plus I get paid more if I do it faster, lol!

Got it fixed....seems good so far. Stayed below half on the gauge while bleeding the system. Took me about 45 minutes or so to do. I had to remove the throttle body....that made things a helluva lot easier for the bottom bolt.
Thanks for the tips you guys...I appreciate it. Now if I can just figure out what's going on with my Sundance, I'll be cool.

Excellent, :D

black86glhs
05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Well I'm lazy and hate doing more work than necessary, plus I get paid more if I do it faster, lol! I vaguely remember those days, lol!

Excellent, :DI agree.:thumb: