PDA

View Full Version : OhioRob versus James Reeves

BIG PSI
05-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I invited both of these guys to come to Columbus, Ohio on June 14th & 15th. That is one week before SDAC. You might want to come and root them on as they race each other and some of the HEMI Vehicles at our Event.

Chuck

BadAssPerformance
05-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Sounds cool! I hope to see them square off at both SDAC and the Mopar Nats :thumb:

fleckster
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Only if Reeves gets his new head redone in time... [crosses fingers]

BIG PSI
05-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Rob is rebuilding his motor at this time. He is waiting on his new connecting rods.

GLHSKEN
05-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Reeves has a back-up plan...

Aries_Turbo
05-15-2008, 01:12 PM
spray the piss outta the van? lol

Brian

Clay
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I bet since Ken doesnt have any running 8 valve cars, that he has a couple of extra heads laying around!!!!!!!! ;)

badandy
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I bet since Ken doesnt have any running 8 valve cars, that he has a couple of extra heads laying around!!!!!!!! ;)

Dang Clay that's jacked up!:o

Clay
05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
hehehe, every time I read that line I giggle! :) hehehe

GLHSKEN
05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Soon Clay.... Wanna run for pinks when I do ???:nod::D

Reeves
05-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Reeves has a back-up plan...

Reeves doesn't have a lot of time for back-up plan.

Reeves
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Reeves has parts and will be assembling this weekend! :thumb:

Reeves also has lots of work stuff (like real work stuff..the kind that pays money) interupting all his fun time. :mad:

cordes
06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Cordes wishes Reeves good luck.

BadAssPerformance
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM
This work thing always gets in the way!

fleckster
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Reeves has parts and will be assembling this weekend! :thumb:

Reeves also has lots of work stuff (like real work stuff..the kind that pays money) interupting all his fun time. :mad:

Yeah, I hate having to go to Florida too... :rolleyes: :thumb:

bradp
06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I hate having to go to Florida too... :rolleyes: :thumb:

Fleck, did you step outside today? It felt like FL 89' and humid...I hate doing roofs when it's 90 degrees out....I'm fried today.

fleckster
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Well to be honest, I did sleep most of the day then when I got up at 4pm, I went out and mowed the yard so, I did notice it was hot and humid. I still would rather be in Florida than working in Kokomo, Indiana.

...and don't get too burnt on the roofs, I'm waiting to hear back from the appraiser for my refinancing and will soon after be looking to get my roof worked on if you might still be interested...(Stay tuned...)

bradp
06-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Hopefully when it's a little cooler.

Reeves
06-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Leaving Florida now :( These work trips are so horrible :p
Will be home to work on the OMNI soon though! :)

2.216VTurbo
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Leaving Florida now :( These work trips are so horrible :p
Will be home to work on the OMNI soon though! :)

You know you could *share* some pics 'from the road'. Sometimes picworthy stuff happens at those company functions:eyebrows:...

Clay
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I dont think James wants any incriminating evidence floating around the net!!!! ;)

badandy
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I dont think James wants any incriminating evidence floating around the net!!!! ;)

It's a little late for that after Cecil Co. washout and the ever popular "James Reeves Blow Off Valve"

To this day I bust a gut at that video of him slapping his balls to put the fire out...LOL!

BIG PSI
06-08-2008, 06:12 AM
I hope that some of you will come to Ohio and cheer James & Ron on as they tangle with the Modern Mopar Muscle. Just to give you guys some idea as to how fast some of these LX Vehicles are, the Best ET so far is 10.732 @ 127.

The most RWHP on a dyno was 720

This will be allot of *fun*

Regards
Chuck

ohiorob
06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
It should read ohiorob and James Reeves versus the V8's or 150 cu. in. versus 426 cu.in. :eyebrows: they may never ask us back again ;)

Mike_Shepard
06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
It should read ohiorob and James Reeves versus the V8's or 150 cu. in. versus 426 cu.in. :eyebrows: they may never ask us back again ;)

LOL I can see that

BadAssPerformance
06-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Thats a great idea Rob! :thumb:

BIG PSI
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
BadAssPerformance;

Would YOU like to come and have some *fun* here as well with your Daytona ?????

Chuck

Reeves
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
BadAssPerformance;

Chuck

Now wouldn't that be something!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::):)

Reeves
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
OMNI just fired up yesterday afternoon. Took if for about a 3 mile ride.

My alky pump and all related fittings are leaking, as well as the alky solenoid is not mechanically shutting off. I don't think the 100% alky compatible components are 100% alky compatible. Got to get this stuff fixed pronto.

Other little things on the list are just changing the oil and filters, installing a new oil pressure sending unit, and tuning.

cordes
06-09-2008, 10:17 AM
That is a lot of work to do and parts to get while holding down a job etc. Good luck Reeves. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
BadAssPerformance;

Chuck

I would love to Chuck, but it would have to be running first. I'll be lucky to have it running enough to start tuning at SDAC.

Reeves
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I would love to Chuck, but it would have to be running first. I'll be lucky to have it running enough to start tuning at SDAC.

Get your arse in gear! (pun)

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
LOL, thats funny cuz the trans it my issue! This damn work thing just gets in my way!

Reeves
06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
LOL, thats funny cuz the trans it my issue! This damn work thing just gets in my way!

I'm having alky issues and that is post-poning my tune time. So I took off the paying job on Friday to work more on the car and get things ready.

BadAssPerformance
06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I might need a day off soon to git er done by SDAC. Maybe next week when my boss is out of the country? :D

Reeves
06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I think if my boss was out of the country, I'd take the whole week off!

Always ends up that my boss takes vacation while I'm out of the country :mad:

R/T
06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Other little things on the list are just changing the oil and filters, installing a new oil pressure sending unit, and tuning.

If you need a filter my wagon is out in the driveway..... :p

Reeves
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
New alky pump is on it's way. I think I have about everything covered except for tuning. I need to get the Rampage off the trailer and in the garage as it's the next project to get rolling.

And I just got to work and already have a out of town job for Thursday. F*CK

2.216VTurbo
06-10-2008, 10:17 AM
3 mile drive? Dude, you coulda made 12 passes instead:clap::lol:

8valves
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Reeves, you should've told me you were down here. You could've had a couple beers on me if you were in the area!

And for the record, the weather sucks down here. I think there is only two weeks of actual good track weather. Otherwise it's 90-100 with 8000% humidity.

Reeves
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Reeves, you should've told me you were down here. You could've had a couple beers on me if you were in the area!

And for the record, the weather sucks down here. I think there is only two weeks of actual good track weather. Otherwise it's 90-100 with 8000% humidity.

Weather definately sucks unless you are in the resort pool with a beer, or in the ocean with a beer. Not good racing weather.

Sorry man...I really didn't know I'd have as much free time as I did. I may be going to Sarasota again in September.

And new update on the car. Alky pump supposed to be here Friday night. New alky solenoid and new hose supposed to be here Friday sometime. Worst case scenario, I can run with what I have...the alky pump is just weeping a little when on high pressure and the alky solenoid is not working at all so I have it bypassed.

Still have to find a source for alky without top end lube, and time to tune.....

SpoolinGLH
06-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Where is this event being held at again?? I might be able to go..

Reeves
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
National Trails in Columbus, OH

8valves
06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Weather definately sucks unless you are in the resort pool with a beer, or in the ocean with a beer. Not good racing weather.

Sorry man...I really didn't know I'd have as much free time as I did. I may be going to Sarasota again in September.

And new update on the car. Alky pump supposed to be here Friday night. New alky solenoid and new hose supposed to be here Friday sometime. Worst case scenario, I can run with what I have...the alky pump is just weeping a little when on high pressure and the alky solenoid is not working at all so I have it bypassed.

Still have to find a source for alky without top end lube, and time to tune.....

Dang, if you were in Sarasota you were within 15 miles of me, no problem. Too bad, give me a ring if you come back down since I won't be at Trails this year, or SDAC from the looks of it. Maaayyybe Mopar Nats.

Mike_Shepard
06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Sarasota eh ride any SCATS lately? lol. My sister in law lived down in Bradenton which aint to far I was going to go down 2 weeks ago but didnt want to cause the heat

Reeves
06-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I tell you what man....stars just ain't lining up for me. When out for my first hard pull on the street with new rings, rod bearings, new to me G-head and such and popped the headgasket on the very first 3rd gear pull. I backed the timing down 2 degrees, and made sure the grainger was set LOW. Still hit 35 psi boost and poof.... I didn't let out soon enough. We are talking like just a couple of seconds.

Took me quit a while to get home as it kept overheating and I kept pulling over, smoking a cig, and letting it cool down. After I finally got back, I started wrenching. After removing the intercooler pipes you could see the headgasket hanging out of the block and head about 1" on the side of #4. 36 minutes total and the head was on the bench. Block is prepped and ready to put back together, but I have to travel to Appleton WI tonight and won't be back until tomorrow night. D*mmit. I still probably have enough time on Friday....but I don't know why the boost went so high and I don't know if I'll have time to tune again.

Geeze.....

Hey Cindy...if you are on here, I need a couple more headgaskets. :faint: I tried calling but it was busy.

BadAssPerformance
06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow that sucks man! :(

FYI, WIR near Appleton doesn't seem to lock up their dragstrip on nights they don't use it :D

http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/09my08_wir_x.jpg (http://www.badassperformance.com/wallpaper/09my08_wir.jpg)

R/T
06-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Yo Reeves - did you get new SEAT BELTS yet??? :confused2:

Reeves
06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Actually, the 2 year old ones that were still new in the box have a few months left on them...so I installed them. They should get me by the rest of this year.

Man I'm cheap sometimes :lol:

Shadow
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I tell you what man....stars just ain't lining up for me. When out for my first hard pull on the street with new rings, rod bearings, new to me G-head and such and popped the headgasket on the very first 3rd gear pull. I backed the timing down 2 degrees, and made sure the grainger was set LOW. Still hit 35 psi boost and poof.... I didn't let out soon enough. We are talking like just a couple of seconds.

Took me quit a while to get home as it kept overheating and I kept pulling over, smoking a cig, and letting it cool down. After I finally got back, I started wrenching. After removing the intercooler pipes you could see the headgasket hanging out of the block and head about 1" on the side of #4. 36 minutes total and the head was on the bench. Block is prepped and ready to put back together, but I have to travel to Appleton WI tonight and won't be back until tomorrow night. D*mmit. I still probably have enough time on Friday....but I don't know why the boost went so high and I don't know if I'll have time to tune again.

Geeze.....

Hey Cindy...if you are on here, I need a couple more headgaskets. :faint: I tried calling but it was busy.

Sorry to hear that, had the same thing happen to me a couple days ago with the Charger. Was tuning for the new turbo and I'm trying an EBC for the first time. Everything was good and I knew I was lean over 30 psi. Decided to start uping the duty down low to get faster spool and up to the 3500 rpm column everything was working good and spool was coming on faster. I up'd the 4000rpm column and bam! 40psi boost spike! I did a couple more pulls after that (turned the duty down of course) and everything seemed fine. But when I lifted the hood the next day we noticed antifreeze in the E/C. Took'r out for a spin and started getting heat spikes. #4 back corner, just tweeked it into the coolant passage.

overlordsshadow
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, had the same thing happen to me a couple days ago with the Charger. Was tuning for the new turbo and I'm trying an EBC for the first time. Everything was good and I knew I was lean over 30 psi. Decided to start uping the duty down low to get faster spool and up to the 3500 rpm column everything was working good and spool was coming on faster. I up'd the 4000rpm column and bam! 40psi boost spike! I did a couple more pulls after that (turned the duty down of course) and everything seemed fine. But when I lifted the hood the next day we noticed antifreeze in the E/C. Took'r out for a spin and started getting heat spikes. #4 back corner, just tweeked it into the coolant passage.

Your car street legal? Wouldn't mind a ride in a car like that when I come to visit!

Shadow
06-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Your car street legal? Wouldn't mind a ride in a car like that when I come to visit!

Full interior (except no back seat because of roll bar), street legal. I only run 20 psi on pump for street driving and even then I only get real traction in 4th gear.

overlordsshadow
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Sounds like it could be fun. Would have to do a whole lot more work to the Shadow and empty all the lugage to make it even an interesting race.

glhs441
06-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I will be at the Mopar Nats in Aug. with the GLHS but I had to install a stock intercooler, also installed Alky & 70hp shot of NOS, hope to be in the 11s @ 120+

It will be great to see Rob & James.

Mike_Shepard
06-15-2008, 08:11 PM
It was nice seeing you guys this weekend. James did that new hose work out at all?

ohiorob
06-16-2008, 07:47 AM
hope you make it to the nats Mike "with your car". Chuck put on a great show, A+ in my book :thumb:. James had problems the hole time and never made a full pass :( . saturday i was the fastest door slammer with a 11.02 but on sunday a lx charger went 10.88 :thumb:. I could not make it into the 10s. they did not prep the track at all :mad: and never made a full balls to the wall pass.

there were two brand new challengers there. that was very cool.

BadAssPerformance
06-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a good event, except the track prep. :thumb: Bummer Reeves had issues.

Reeves
06-16-2008, 08:20 AM
A+ for the great event! It was very nice, although it seems that the track and the attendees had 2 different schedules.

My first pass was too rich and not enough boost causing ignition breakup. I changed when the alcohol came on and then raised the boost.

2nd pass same as the first. Took some more alcohol out and raised boost.

3rd pass there was a loud bam sound that I thought was just a alcohol backfire. Let out.

4th pass I realized I didn't have any boost. Back to the pits to see that one of my intercooler hoses (the big heavy duty one's from Napa) exploded.

That night Rob and I went to Advance Auto and picked up some exhaust pipe and some hose clamps with some sandpaper and a hacksaw.

Next morning, patched up the blown intercooler hose with the above parts.

1st pass, really loud bang and my grille busted out and was hanging on by one tab. Intercooler patch didn't hold. Patched it again a little better.

2nd pass, blew it apart again.

Hurried up and went to Napa to "get the good stuff." Started installing good stuff and they closed the lanes. No more passes.

I also had antifreeze under the hood pretty bad on the 1st pass yesterday. I don't know where it came from. I'm hoping that it just sprayed out of the overflow jug when the intercooler hose blew (the lid on the overflow jug was open after the hose blew). Seems to be running fine.. :confused2:

Not a good day at the races for me. Still got 3rd place though...

Shadow
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
James, not sure what the HD NAPA hoses look like, but I've been running semi-rad hose for 5 years and never a problem up to 42 psi last year. If you get the right size it fits really snug before you even clamp it and it's so rigid I don't need anything else to hold up all my piping. Double row braided inside, I don't think 50 psi would touch this stuff. Only down side is no corners, just cut it for straight connects. Sorry to here thing didn't go well, hopefully things turn around next time!

Reeves
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
That's the same stuff I have that I get from Napa. I think it is rated to like 250psi burst strength if I remember right. The piece that blew has been on there for like 6 years or so I think. This is the first time I've ever had any of it blow. I think it was a alcohol backfire or something. It was a really loud bang.

Shadow
06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
That's the same stuff I have that I get from Napa. I think it is rated to like 250psi burst strength if I remember right. The piece that blew has been on there for like 6 years or so I think. This is the first time I've ever had any of it blow. I think it was a alcohol backfire or something. It was a really loud bang.

Cool. Hopefully everything else is fine.

fleckster
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
A 30+psi burst will sound loud even without a backfire! James, I still have all that semi truck rad hose we bought for the install on the Spurt if you need me to bring it along.

Reeves
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
The 3rd time I blew a hose I didn't hear a thing. Just lost all boost.

I should have it fixed before Friday I hope. Still concerned with where all that antifreeze came from.

Going to do compression check and leak down test tonight to make sure the hg isn't leaking. Also going to do alky pump comparison with a 230psi gauge.

Mike_Shepard
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Yea that bang was really loud in the stands, Sounded like a 12g shotgun

overlordsshadow
06-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Are you running straight meth or what? How big of an injector do you have on there. Either way, explosions in the intake piping != good.

BIG PSI
06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Here is a link to where another Forum is talking about the FWD of Rob & James.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=118340&page=5

You two earned us allot of R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!!!!!

Thanks for coming
Chuck

Reeves
06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Are you running straight meth or what? How big of an injector do you have on there. Either way, explosions in the intake piping != good.

Yes, straight meth.

Leakdown test showed leakage to coolant in #1 and #4 cylinders. Removed head again last night. HG is slightly blown in the same area as last week (by the #4 cyl dowel pin hole) and it looks like #1 just never sealed right.

contraption22
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
What type of headgaskets are you using?

Reeves
06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
What type of headgaskets are you using?

MP 005

CSXT802
06-17-2008, 09:21 AM
MP 005

Head studs.?

contraption22
06-17-2008, 10:26 AM
MP 005

Have you considered a Cometic yet? You might have gotten to the point where a MP headgasket will not hold up to your cylinder pressures.

Reeves
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Head studs.?

Yes. This is the first year I've used them. Been using ARP Moly Lube on the nuts and torquing to 75.

Have you considered a Cometic yet? You might have gotten to the point where a MP headgasket will not hold up to your cylinder pressures.

Yes I have considered it. BUT, I've never had problems with the MP's before, and I haven't even cranked up the power yet.

CSXT802
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes. This is the first year I've used them. Been using ARP Moly Lube on the nuts and torquing to 75.

Yes I have considered it. BUT, I've never had problems with the MP's before, and I haven't even cranked up the power yet.

I've always torqued them to 85 using the molly lube. I always coat both sides of the washers with the molly lube. Some times with out lube on the back side of the washer it will turn with the nut and gaul the aluminum head. This has given me a false torque.

contraption22
06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I as well have torqued my ARP studs to 85.

Lugert
06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I as well have torqued my ARP studs to 85.

So do you think 100 is too High?
I have 1/2" studs.

CSXT802
06-17-2008, 12:38 PM
So do you think 100 is too High?
I have 1/2" studs.

I've gone as high as 90.

Reeves
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
For sh*ts and giggles last night before I tore it apart, I torqued to 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100 to see if the bubbles in the radiator would go away. They didn't.

overlordsshadow
06-17-2008, 01:10 PM
I have mine at 85, heat cycled it and they were still at 85:)

WVRampage
06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear that,I hope you get it runing right soon.That hose did sould like a 12g.

Aries_Turbo
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
i torque to 80 with moly lube and then go for a nice calm drive to get it warm. then i wait till its cold and back them off one by one and retorque in the tightening sequence and all is well. i dont just try to tighten. i loosen a little first.

Brian

Shadow
06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
MP 006 (because my block and head are both crossdrilled) 3 light coats of copper spray on both sides (till you can't see the gasket color any more) torque to 75 with moly lube. Bring mtr to full operating temp till fan comes on. Let sit overnight or till cool. retorque at 80, heat cycle again. retorque at 85, dbl check at 85 and an extra tweek! Just like bakin a cake! :thumb:

Reeves
06-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I checked the head with a dead nuts straight edge tonight that I borrowed from work. I could *barely* squeeze a .004" feeler gauge in between #3 and #4 combustion chambers. Other than that, the thing seems dead flat.

I checked the deck, and it was dead flat.

I super sprayed the 005 gaskets I got from Cindy today (THANKS CINDY!) and used MP head bolts once again as I have in the past (in lieu of the ARP studs). Who knows....but it's on and torqued. I'll finish it all up when I get home Thursday afternoon. Then I need to repair the intercooler hose and do some alky testing.

Shadow
06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
If it works for you....great! Do you use the factory torque spec on the head bolts?

30 PSI SHADOW
06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I've always torqued them to 85 using the molly lube. I always coat both sides of the washers with the molly lube. Some times with out lube on the back side of the washer it will turn with the nut and gaul the aluminum head. This has given me a false torque.

Exactly as me, 30psi for 5 years and never a blown gasket. Cool a cycle then re-torque again.
Mike Bachmann a few years ago when running the hooters car suggested all this to me but with a key extra suggestion. 85 and 87-88 on the corners.

Works for me!!

Bill Baker
90 shad
12.25@116mph

Reeves
06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
If it works for you....great! Do you use the factory torque spec on the head bolts?

Yeap...45, 65, 65, and 90 degrees. Then I check them to 85 lb/ft to make sure they are all at least to that level. No retorquing (except when I used to have an O-ringed block, then retorque after a heat cycle).