PDA

View Full Version : 90 audi mechanical fuel injection, help!

ShadowFromHell
05-14-2008, 01:25 AM
against my and my friends wishes, his GF bought a worn out 90 audi 4 door a while back. Its had nothing but problems and we had to go get it today because it left her. I limped it home (I think she flooded it) and it runs awsome above 3k, but below that its horrible, it will barely idle. Know any places to look? Im thinking maybe the cold start is stuck on. She is a single mom so throwing parts on it isnt really a option.

thanks guys
Dustin

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Chec the intake boot for leaks or rips, make damn sure the boots etc from the air cleaner to the fuel setup is tight. You can remove the boot and use a magnet to lift up the flapper valve, it should move smoothly and not stick.

ShelGame
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I had a '84 GTI that used nearly the same system. I had the idle air solenoid go out and it wouldn't idle or run slow at all, but once revved up was fine. On the GTI, it was mounted to the pass side innder fender and it looked a whole lot like the TD WG/Purge solenoids. It was really obvious, too - the coil actually melted a 1/4" hole out the side of the casing.

ShadowFromHell
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
So does if I understand this correctlly, the mechanical injection works along the same lines as a MAF system? I understand that, and makes it easier for my to diagnose. Thanks guys.

GLHNSLHT2
05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
My 87 coupe GT had a idle control screw behind the upper boot (3mm allen) that came out once and the car wouldn't idle but it also wouldn't rev up, Made the cat glow red with fuel. POS system. Anyway might want to see if you can find that screw too. That Kjetronic sucks ballz. After letting it sit and my GLH sit for the same amount of time (3 years). The GLH fired right up on old gas and even boosted fine. The Audi had a frozen fuel pump and the whole mechanical system was clogged up. Could never get it to run again. Some guy came and bought it for $500 though :) That's more than you get for a non-running TD by far. PS good f'ing luck.

ShadowFromHell
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
lol. We are actually just trying to get it running good enough to sell during cherry harvest. Ive already located a 86 GTS that needs a topend for cheap. Ill probaly have her buy it, and the HG and Ill swap it in a weekend. I keep telling her if she buys a FWD mopar, she will never have to buy parts again with my parts stash! haha.