PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Ford LTD

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for a car for my little brother. Here's what I found.

1985 Ford LTD. V6, automatic, 44k original miles, little rust, runs great, and as of NOW doesn't need any work.
However. As with all older cars, they need mantiance. However you spell that. What should I look for when I go to check the car again? I already smelled tranny fluid, checked oil, tires, looked underneath, and forgot my camera in my car. I'll take some pics and post it.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Turbodave
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Those had the EFI 3.8 V6 and a C5 auto trans if I remember right, same drivetrain as the T-birds of that era.

I had an 86 LTD that I got free needing a trans. Installed a rebuilt trans and sold it, the car ran and drove ok, but the rear seal leaked like crazy, it would leave a puddle of oil in our gravel driveway. Other than that don't remember much about it, besides the fact that I didn't want any other Fords afterwards.

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Hmmm...makes me wonder if it's worth it as a first car for him. Our driveway is already covered in oil, thank you Shelby Charger, so I'm not worried about that. (Plus he has to park in the street)
I didn't see any oil leakage, but I'll double check tonight when I return.

Turbodave
05-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't pay a lot for it, but if it's in good shape and the price is right it might be a good first car. I've always had my eyes out for one of the 5.0 powered LTD's from that era, those were neat sleepers.

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
He wants 1200 for it. I know he'll go lower...

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Crown Vic LTD or Midsize LTD?

black86glhs
05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Also, it has the older 3.8 with iron heads. Head gasket issues are not a problem like the aluminum head car. It doesn't sound like a bad car.

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Crown Vic LTD or Midsize LTD?

Midsize LTD.

I don't think it's a bad little car either, but I'm just wondering how hard these cars would be to fix, if there are any major well known issues, and what to expect to fix on it within the next month to two.

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
They are easy to work on, but you'll get a lot of practice :thumb:

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 02:55 PM
...but I don't want lots of practice. Maybe for my little brother to get lots of practice, but not me! What types of things would I get lots of practice on?
This is going to make me sound retarded, but...here's what I know how to do.
Change Spark Plugs
Change Oil
Flush Radiator
Change Fuel Filter
Change Fuel Pump
and that's about all.
What else would I learn to do?

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Not a bad car, but remember there getting old, lol.

$1200 isn't bad if it runs fine, tranny oil is red and not brown, engine doesn't burn oil. Check the front end out, look at tire wear, brakes, etc. Parts aren't expensive.

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
The guy just called me back and said he sold it. I went there on lunch and gave him a two hundred dollar check to hold it for me, and he sells it.
I hate people right now.
:(
I'm getting close to NEEDING a car for him, anyone around here have one that's reliable and under 1k? I don't care what it looks like, just needs to be reliable and easy to fix.
:(

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow, what a tool, I hope you got your money back.

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I already cancelled the check, my bank doesn't charge me to do that.
I'm also going over there after work to get the physical check back, I don't care if it's in two pieces or one or twelve hundred.
(Ok...I would be impressed if it was in twelve hundred pieces)
Grrr...so who has a car that suits my lil bro's needs?

88_pacifica
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
thank god... you don't want a ford anyway. ;) :thumb:

skitzo_inc
05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't, but I need to find a car so I'm not stuck driving the little ---- around.

Birddog
05-13-2008, 10:44 PM
thank god... you don't want a ford anyway. ;) :thumb:

Don't listen to the 80s GM guy..:lol:

WickedShelby88
05-14-2008, 01:13 AM

No s---. Besides those LTDs were similar or the same as the fox platform meaning brakes, rear end, trans, engine, suspension upgrades very easy:thumb:

88_pacifica
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM

No s---. Besides those LTDs were similar or the same as the fox platform meaning brakes, rear end, trans, engine, suspension upgrades very easy:thumb:

Meh, so I'm biased... ;) :D :thumb:

Actually, they aren't too bad IF they have been taken care of. If you are seriously not partial to a brand, what features are you looking for? Price only? An LTD(sedan) is a pretty big gas-hog in todays world of high prices, even with a 6 cyl since they were pretty inefficient even when they left the assembly lines. Will he be driving long distances or all in town? I know I'm going to get hazed, but what about a small to midsize economy(read- foreign) car?

[In my best 80's Ford commercial voice] "Have you DRIV-E-E-E-N-N-N a GM... lately"

Anonymous_User
05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
It's a six hour drive for you to where I live, but see the post I made regarding the rust free '89 Omni. 2.5 TBI, Auto car. Cheap. Would make a real economical first car.

I would have bought it for my daughter, but she found a Buick that I helped her buy.

88_pacifica
05-14-2008, 08:10 AM
...I would have bought it for my daughter, but she found a Buick that I helped her buy.

You're a DAMM FINE father, it doesn't matter what these guys say... :nod: ;) :) :thumb:

Anonymous_User
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
You're a DAMM FINE father, it doesn't matter what these guys say... :nod: ;) :) :thumb:

If only it were one of THOSE Buicks. :(

skitzo_inc
05-14-2008, 11:45 AM
It's a six hour drive for you to where I live, but see the post I made regarding the rust free '89 Omni. 2.5 TBI, Auto car. Cheap. Would make a real economical first car.

I would have bought it for my daughter, but she found a Buick that I helped her buy.

PM sent...just need the guys number and it's a done deal.

WickedShelby88
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Swwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweet.. Somebody on the forum will save the omni.. WOOHOO!!

skitzo_inc
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I try sometimes. :) And I'll make sure my little brother takes good care of her.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
You better or I will send my people out there to do something.

skitzo_inc
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
like what? steal the car, that would most likely be broken if he didn't take care of it? Or beat him up? I'm down for anything, I haven't beat up my little bro in a while.
IT'S --- KICKING TIME! hahahaha

WickedShelby88
05-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Umm no.. I fix situations not make them worse.. Just jokin in the first place.. Why don't you go find a good ford fairmount or mercury zephyr if your going over to the dark side any time soon..

Riverratt
05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Some of those midsized LTD's where packin' the 351 engine from the factory..... It was optional for police package cars of that era.

Just so you know, that they are out their. And that, would make a sweet sleeper.

skitzo_inc
05-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Umm no.. I fix situations not make them worse.. Just jokin in the first place.. Why don't you go find a good ford fairmount or mercury zephyr if your going over to the dark side any time soon..

hahaha. I knew you were kidding, I was as well.
I'm not traveling to the dark side. My little brother is. I think he's getting an Accord now. Wants reliable car, which of course, does not constitute our cars.
:)

WickedShelby88
05-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Well most of our cars. I haven't had but one situation where I couldn't rig the thing enough to get me home. Hondas are reliable until the distributor pickup fails.