PDA

View Full Version : Getting seasick

LowSL2
05-13-2008, 05:32 AM
This one is hard to explain. If I drive along at a constant speed when driving around town it feels like the engine is surging. To the point where the wife won't ride in the car because it makes her sick. It's getting really annoying to me. But what's strange is if I go into boost or get on the freeway, it goes away. Anyone experienced this one before? It's a stock 92 R/T.

wasp
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
maybe its a bad spot in the tps? if you have a voltmeter or an otc scanner monitor the TPS voltage when the car is doing it. if the voltage is varying at the time of surging that could be your cause.

2.216VTurbo
05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
My wife only knows gas and brake when she drives, so I know that nauseous feeling your wife gets:o Don't know what your issue is with the car but if she reclines her seat 15 or 20 degrees while riding along, it helps.

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
BAd tps, bad ox sensor which can lean the engine out at cruise. Any codes?

iTurbo
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I have the same problem in my Spirit R/T. You can feel almost constant fluctuations in the power as the car is cruising. As soon as I start to accelerate and go into boost it disappears. I don't get any codes and my O2 sensor works verified by my A/F gauge. The wierd thing is, the A/F gauge has a flicker/strobe effect to it. It does this with stock injectors and +20s even at 55 psi base pressure. It's very difficult to actually see where it is on the gauge at any one time because there are so many lights lit up at once. I once ran out of gas in my other car (SL), and the A/F gauge had the same strobe like effect as it was sputtering on an empty tank....

LowSL2
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I have an OTC 4000 scanner and the TPS volts doesn't fluctuate at all. I've checked all connections and verified the sensor works. The fluctuations in power during constant speed does seem to correspond with the O2 sensor readings. When it goes rich it feels like it lurches forward. And when it goes lean it sputters and the power fluctuates. And when I hit the throttle it'll kind of hesitate and sputter, then go. I have to ease into the throttle in order to get smooth transition of cruise to accel.

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Scanner won't show a bad tps unless its really worn out, the info transfer rate is way to slow.

iTurbo
05-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Agreed, the refresh rate of the OTC is way too slow to catch an intermittent problem. I'd use a multimeter and probe the TPS plug underhood and try checking for continuity between sensor output on the TPS plug and SBEC connector. Also try moving the harness around a bit to see if that causes an intermittent voltage drop.

LowSL2
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I just installed some Magnecor wires and the surging isn't as bad. But still pretty noticeable. I also tried my Pathfinder 93 cartridge on my OTC and the refresh rate is a LOT faster than the Pathfinder 97 cartridge. When watching the O2 sensor it seems like it's slow to change from rich to lean. When I compare the O2 sensor on the R/T with one of my other cars (Saturn) it's like night and day. The Saturn responds very quickly. And the R/T responds really, really slowly. The wires going to the O2 sensor look to have been repaired some time ago by the previous owner. I might just cut it all out and replace it with all new wire. I might re-route it away from heat too.

Also: Since when did Magnecor make plug wires in blue? I thought they were all red?