PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Mustang Turbo Help...

Captain Chaos
05-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I know there is somecloset turbo Ford fans here, so I need your help. Where can I find specs on the factory turbos by year? Specifically the factory turbo for a 79 pace car. TIA!

Birddog
05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Suck thru carb, TB030 is about all I know on them. New project??:eyebrows:

http://www.turboford.org and http://www.foureyedpride.com both have a good group of guys to hit up for info on them though.

MiniMopar
05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
An early 80s 2.3L turbo Mustang would be one Phord that I wouldn't mind owning. I have a lot of fond memories cruising around with my cousin in his '80 2.3L N/A Musting. It was a completely gutless rusted-out hulk with an AM radio and no muffler. We fit right in driving through some of the more questionable parts of Aurora, IL all dirty from working over a hot grill in the summer heat with some weird AM rap station blasting over the single center dash speaker. :)

Sadly, I don't know anything about them. :D

WickedShelby88
05-13-2008, 03:09 AM
I guess another question would be do you want to keep it stock.. The 84-86 SVO and 83-88 T-bird turbo coupe both offer some good setups right from the factory. I had a 13 sec. SVO that used the stock head, intake and turbo/IC. Althought the cam was different and it had some slight higher compression pistons.

Captain Chaos
05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
The info is actually for a friend who's in the dark about turbos and what-not, but knew I was into 4 cylinder turbo cars. He asked me to do him a favor and find the specs for him. If someone can tell me what turbo was used on a 79 pace car Mustang, that would be a good start. Thanks Birddog, I'll check those links out also.

Birddog
05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
IMHO.. For a first timer that's the last car he wants.. They were/are very temperamental..

You'll find me on those two boards too so there's no escape..:D

I'm going out saturday to grab this poor bird..

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk307/henkej98/frontleft.jpg?t=1210733128

BadAssPerformance
05-14-2008, 12:17 AM
An early 80s 2.3L turbo Mustang would be one Phord that I wouldn't mind owning. I have a lot of fond memories cruising around with my cousin in his '80 2.3L N/A Musting. It was a completely gutless rusted-out hulk with an AM radio and no muffler. We fit right in driving through some of the more questionable parts of Aurora, IL all dirty from working over a hot grill in the summer heat with some weird AM rap station blasting over the single center dash speaker. :)

Sadly, I don't know anything about them. :D

Funny you mention that... My first car was a 1980 2.3L Rustang and I lived in Aurora :D

WickedShelby88
05-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Thats clean there buddy. That old bird eh.. You are going to make it happy again right? If your just going to yank the engine let me know.. I've been pondering an SVO or T-bird as a spare car.

BadAssPerformance
05-14-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm going out saturday to grab this poor bird..

Good luck with that, looks like a nice project! :thumb:

....If your just going to yank the engine let me know.. I've been pondering an SVO or T-bird as a spare car.

You're sick for parts cars! ;)

WickedShelby88
05-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Lol.. yeah I kinda am, but I have a soft spot for a couple of them that I will make live rather quickly.. An SVO is one and my lancer is another. I like the H's. As far as that L body stuff I keep asking about.. its more for the buyer of chargers benefit as hes paying me plenty for the package deal. More on topic. I believe mr birddog is right on the turbo being a TO3 but I believe the housing may be different since it carb that year. Temperamental is right being as the O2 feedback setup is kinda goofy. 83 and up electronics are much better IMO.

Birddog
05-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Thats clean there buddy. That old bird eh.. You are going to make it happy again right? If your just going to yank the engine let me know.. I've been pondering an SVO or T-bird as a spare car.

Good luck with that, looks like a nice project! :thumb:

You're sick for parts cars! ;)

No parting on the bird.. I have a nice Race Engineering top end that's been sitting for a while;)

She'll be a DD until Omni and Dakota get painted though.

MiniMopar
05-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Funny you mention that... My first car was a 1980 2.3L Rustang and I lived in Aurora :D

Hmmm...I'm not sure how to respond to that. :p I do know that you are not my cousin. :thumb:

His was silver so we could cover the gaping holes in the roof with duct tape and you could hardly tell.