PDA

View Full Version : Engine block heater on TIII

navyboy65
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey all since the head is off I have easy access to the freeze/core plugs so does any one know where the core plug style engine block heater goes?????(I have heard middle core plug on the fire wall side of the engine?) I am using Mopar part # 4798276AC which is a universal block heater for 4, 6 & 8 cylinder engines.
Thanks, Seth

rx2mazda
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
middle core

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Yep, and if you don't need one, I leave them out, its just another point of failure when you least expect it.

navyboy65
05-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Yep, and if you don't need one, I leave them out, its just another point of failure when you least expect it.
Thanks for the reply guys. I don't really need it! But I would help with the warm up in the winter! I'll have to think about it some more!

What do you think about replacing freeze/core plugs that are not leaking? I have a new set that I was going to install???

Thanks, Seth

TurboJerry
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I don't really need it! But I would help with the warm up in the winter! I'll have to think about it some more!

What do you think about replacing freeze/core plugs that are not leaking? I have a new set that I was going to install???

Thanks, Seth

Replace them, it would suck to have one go out and replace it, then another goes out 2 weeks later and so on......

turbovanmanČ
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Replace them, it would suck to have one go out and replace it, then another goes out 2 weeks later and so on......

Yep, as most look great from the outside but when you remove them, the coolant side is rotted and pitted and ready to leak at the worst time.

navyboy65
05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
OK I'll plan on replacing them this weekend!!! Any tips for removing or installing?????
Thanks, Seth

2.216VTurbo
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Sure just hit them with a brass or similar drift all the way twards one edge and the plug will 'turn' in the block. Careful, dont knock it all the way in or it can be a biatch to get it back out:mad:. Then pull on the free edge with some pliers or whatever. Clean the block where the plug goes with some fairly fine paper like 360 or so. The use some sealant of choice (I like Permatex 1b Non-hardening sealer, RTV is too 'slick' IMO BTW) around the edge of the plug and block, then tap it in with a large socket that will just barely fit in the new plug. Careful, drive it in nice and strait:clap: Oh yeah, nobody ever does but I like to put the letters on the new plug 'up' so they are readable, not that it matters...