PDA

View Full Version : Best home made LSD'd? PG style or other?

shelbyplaya
05-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Let's hear them and see pics if possable.

I've got a cuple A555's laying around so it'll be cool to experiment with one.

tryingbe
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Get OBX or Quaiffe.

Any other type of LSD that requires metal to metal friction (Phantom Grip type) is going to wear in a very short time.

Murphy
05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
weld it all together

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
There are no other cheap alternatives, buck up or weld it, :p

envyyourethics
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
What about that ford S-style spring mod?

MiniMopar
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Well technically the TBD's (Quaife/OBX/Peloquin) use metal-to-metal friction as well, but it's spread out all over the surface of 6 sun gears instead of on the edges of two spider gears. I wonder what the OBX's will look like once some of you guys making huge power put them through a few seasons of burnouts. :p

turbovanmanČ
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Made a mess.

ATaylorRacing
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I use a freshley installed Black Trax unit from:
www.omnipotentparts.com
The price is $235 shipped I think! It cured all of my rt front tire spinning trouble.:love:

shelbyplaya
05-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I've got an OBX LSD alredy. i'm looking for somthing for my DD. I take it to the track once in a wile. so i was just seeing what i can do that would help out with the one tire fire. Just looking to make the stock diff last a bit longer.

tryingbe
05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I use a freshley installed Black Trax unit from:
www.omnipotentparts.com
The price is $235 shipped I think! It cured all of my rt front tire spinning trouble.:love:

How many miles have you had it?

Mine is starting to get weak....

RoadWarrior222
05-20-2008, 08:02 PM

Made a mess.

Sure did for me. Had the 7.5" Ranger tractionlok spring in for a couple of months, and one day.. BANG rattlerattlerattle... oops. Appears it got too hot without frictions, changed the temper of the metal, and shattered like glass when I hit a pothole. Dinged the gear-cage, dented the the diff cover, put a hole in the top of the tranny case, and wrenched off and mangled a diffpin-saver bracket. Appears I got lucky, tranny is still alive after that little misadventure. Still have a ding in the diff cage casting, it's gonna make me nervous about putting power through her until I get it swapped out. I guess the JB Weld patch to the tranny case won't last forever either.

Folks having success with these have generally had them on lighter cars, that appear to have mostly seen strip use. Fast street twisties would not appear to agree with the lighter springs on minivans. (I got rather carried away with seeing how fast I could go round cloverleaf on-ramps) It's possible I damaged it on installation, but considering how it fragged up, it was likely that another couple of months might have done for it anyway.

One day, when I'm not having to rely on my minivan as a DD I might get a diff and Mustang 7.5" spring cryoed and try it again, with tweaks..... but I'm borderline masochistic. :D

RW222

shelbyplaya
05-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I've herd of people making somthing like a PG. any idea how they do it?

glhs875
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM
I've had no problems with the Ford spring after many years of use. But a real posi unit is still better by far!