PDA

View Full Version : filter in turbo??

Juggy
05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
hey I was wondering about that filter in the oil feed hole?? it looks pretty restricting....Ive heard about some people taking these out?? is it best to leave it in there?? its a GT DBB

the turbo is new....btw thats quite the machining needed to make it work for the Chrysler exhaust housing!!! As a machinist I can easily see why you charge $250 for modified housings.

I need to place an order soon, are there any other things I could get to help preserve the life of this turbo?? I think I may invest in one of them micron filters.

Chris W
05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
hey I was wondering about that filter in the oil feed hole?? it looks pretty restricting....Ive heard about some people taking these out?? is it best to leave it in there?? its a GT DBB

the turbo is new....btw thats quite the machining needed to make it work for the Chrysler exhaust housing!!! As a machinist I can easily see why you charge $250 for modified housings.

I need to place an order soon, are there any other things I could get to help preserve the life of this turbo?? I think I may invest in one of them micron filters.

Sorry, I have no way of matching up members names here to actual customers of ours. Did you get the turbo directly from us? I don't recall seeing any filters in the oil inlet side, but I haven't looked lately. We have 6 GT-DBB turbos in stock right now so I will check them all to see if they have the same filters you spoke about. Got a picture?

Chris-TU

Juggy
05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I could snap a picture....its the one Frank Katzenberger was selling, it looks like this thing screws into the oil feed???

Chris W
05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I could snap a picture....its the one Frank Katzenberger was selling, it looks like this thing screws into the oil feed???

Are you sure it's not just a restrictor? The newer DBB units are usually machined with a smaller feed orifice to reduce oil flow. Post a pic.

Chris-TU

moparzrule
05-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Are you sure it's not just a restrictor? The newer DBB units are usually machined with a smaller feed orifice to reduce oil flow. Post a pic.

Chris-TU

Thats what I was going to say...just a restrictor.

stage3
05-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I think this is what he is talking about. It came with my 50 trim.
http://members.cox.net/90vnt/Daytona/turbofilter.jpg

Juggy
05-11-2008, 03:54 PM
nope....i believe it to be a resrictor...lol....there is no filter of any sort in there, and It seems I can see just outside of this brass restrictor....dont look like there is much clearance there?!?

chris can I email u a pic to post up (or just verify) since I dont really know how too lol
and where would i send that pic too :) thanks

John B
05-12-2008, 03:06 AM
nope....i believe it to be a resrictor...lol....there is no filter of any sort in there, and It seems I can see just outside of this brass restrictor....dont look like there is much clearance there?!?

chris can I email u a pic to post up (or just verify) since I dont really know how too lol
and where would i send that pic too :) thanks

The Turbonetics Hybrid I got said it is a filter and that removing it voids the warranty.

moparzrule
05-12-2008, 06:45 AM
The Turbonetics Hybrid I got said it is a filter and that removing it voids the warranty.

Is yours a ball bearing?

John B
05-12-2008, 08:00 AM
No, S50 trim T4/T3 .63 stage 2. Got it new in September. I didn't look real close at the filter but it looks like either fine screen mesh or sintered bronze.

moparzrule
05-12-2008, 08:15 AM
The DBB is different than a regular turbo, it has a restrictor because it shouldn't see as much oil as the standard journal bearings need.
Sounds like you have the same thing ''stage3'' up there posted a pic of. The filter is not the same as the restrictor.

Juggy
05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
my turbo is new....but no warrranty....expired!!! if someone can offer up an email i can send them the pic??? its definately a rescritor....

them DBB center sections are sssooooooooo tiny compared to a T3 one.

still waiting on my trans :( going there 2day if its not ready, im taking it with me elsewhere! my buddy will be pisst too since I already paid him over 2 months ago for the job (and i owe him $$ now) so looks like hes going to be short $150 bucks this week because he keeps puttin it aside and doing other things.

Frank
05-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I am almost positive what you are refering to is the restrictor.

Chris W
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I am almost positive what you are refering to is the restrictor.

I agree.

You can email the photo to Chris@turbosunleashed.com. When Frank bought the turbo from us we had to add the restrictors in order to reduce the drag from too much oil. Since then Garrett has reduced the oil inlet orifice so the external restrictors are no longer required. We highly recommend the purchase of one of our turbo oil filters. With the higher cost of these DBB turbos you want to protect your investment.:thumb:

Chris-TU

Juggy
05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
ok.....i figured it out.....I never scrolled the reply page down LOL....

this is the best I could do...the camera battery was dying so I had to make it quick!

Juggy
05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
When Frank bought the turbo from us we had to add the restrictors in order to reduce the drag from too much oil. Since then Garrett has reduced the oil inlet orifice so the external restrictors are no longer required. We highly recommend the purchase of one of our turbo oil filters. With the higher cost of these DBB turbos you want to protect your investment.:thumb:

Chris-TU

ok, I guess that explains a couple things, you said they make them different now then they did when this one was purchased, the oil issue was the only change I take it???

Im def gonna get that oil filter....just trying to build up some $$$ here b4 I make an order :o ........sooon tho!

im sending a PM regarding some other things of interest. thanks for your help, Its great to know that I can get customer service without having to make a pricey long distance phone call...or a busy signal.....

Juggy
05-17-2008, 12:37 AM
well I never got any reply back, maybe i should withdrawl that previous statement I had made.....

Chris W
05-17-2008, 12:42 AM
well I never got any reply back, maybe i should withdrawl that previous statement I had made.....

Yes, as far as we know the only change that wa made at that time was the oil inlet size. The anti-surge compressor cover was also introduced at some point but we are not 100% sure if it was at the same time as the resticted oil inlet.

Sorry for the delay in our response,

Chris-TU