PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust: Junk yard find

Clay
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
More info to follow. Just posting this real quick, got stuff to do.

http://www.joink.com/homes/users/cooke/87glhs-unk-0004.jpg

JDAWG
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
thats worth saving...........................

raccoon
05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
red shocks = konis?

JDAWG
05-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I think the drivers side headlight makes it worth while

moparfwdsleeper
05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't see why it's in there:confused:

shellboy
05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
how much for the emblem?

Xtrempickup
05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
that nose is perfect this on that car

Clay
05-10-2008, 05:06 PM
it should be....... car only had 44K miles on it! Got crunched a few years ago, and has sat inside somewhere. Just showed up at the junk yard yesterday.

Friend at the yard calls me last night: "hey, we got daytona in today. Its got a turbo, and I think its intercooled. The guys here want to crush it, but I thought you might want to see it first, so I had them wait".

Get there today, see the engine on the ground and the shelby valve cover. Hmmmmmm thats no daytona engine! Tag on the engine says "87 shadow", so I think CSX!

Get to the back of the yard and BINGO! GLHS!

It WAS complete ;)

raccoon
05-10-2008, 05:13 PM
uh can you get it?

Clay
05-10-2008, 05:41 PM
The whole car??????? heck, I dont know, didnt ask. why would I want it?? ;) This thing is TRASHED.
The dash is folded in 1/2! (more or less).

moparfwdsleeper
05-10-2008, 06:08 PM
what did you take home from it?

Xtrempickup
05-10-2008, 06:50 PM
id want the front konis

JDAWG
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I would of pulled like 5 parts off of it and crushed the rest

Clay
05-10-2008, 07:09 PM
wait till you see the rest of the pics ;)

black86glhs
05-10-2008, 09:31 PM
They don't seem to run as good after they wrap around a tree or pole???? Go figure.

Clay
05-10-2008, 10:53 PM
ok, I posted all the pictures in my gallery. Here is a link:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=785&ppuser=0

Car is way to far gone to save much. I looked for the dash plaque and couldnt find it. The dash was folded back right there, so it may have come off in the car. I looked up the VIN and found out its #751, which makes it a local car that was sold right here in Terre Haute at Vigo Dodge.

So far I have all the shelby specific parts from the car that were worth saving: Konis, complete head/intake/VC/etc, rad/IC, some engine wiring, even got the vacuum diagram off the hood. It peeled right off! I still cant believe how clean the engine was on the inside! Head looks BRAND NEW! The car was wearing only 1 original centurion, with I believe an original gatorback. The other 3 wheels were very clean pizzas, but I dont need anymore of them.

It only has 44K miles, and it shows in some places. It also shows that it was kept inside. Virtually no rust. Im going back to pick up the struts, and then Ill take a look a better look at the steering wheel/cluster/shifter knob and some other small parts. Unfortunately the junk yard monkeys got a hold of it before I could and they just cut everything pulling the engine. The LM is still in place, but I dont know if I can get to it or not. Thats where the car was hit, and the side of the car is folded in pretty good right there.

If anyone sees something they may be interested in that Im NOT taking (ie mostly body parts) let me know and Ill see if I can get them off the car. Some of this stuff might be going up for sale eventually.

Xtrempickup
05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
any chance you are selling any of the stuff you pulled?

Wayne
05-10-2008, 11:42 PM
ok, I posted all the pictures in my gallery. Here is a link:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=785&ppuser=0

Car is way to far gone to save much. I looked for the dash plaque and couldnt find it. The dash was folded back right there, so it may have come off in the car. I looked up the VIN and found out its #751, which makes it a local car that was sold right here in Terre Haute at Vigo Dodge.

So far I have all the shelby specific parts from the car that were worth saving: Konis, complete head/intake/VC/etc, rad/IC, some engine wiring, even got the vacuum diagram off the hood. It peeled right off! I still cant believe how clean the engine was on the inside! Head looks BRAND NEW! The car was wearing only 1 original centurion, with I believe an original gatorback. The other 3 wheels were very clean pizzas, but I dont need anymore of them.

It only has 44K miles, and it shows in some places. It also shows that it was kept inside. Virtually no rust. Im going back to pick up the struts, and then Ill take a look a better look at the steering wheel/cluster/shifter knob and some other small parts. Unfortunately the junk yard monkeys got a hold of it before I could and they just cut everything pulling the engine. The LM is still in place, but I dont know if I can get to it or not. Thats where the car was hit, and the side of the car is folded in pretty good right there.

If anyone sees something they may be interested in that Im NOT taking (ie mostly body parts) let me know and Ill see if I can get them off the car. Some of this stuff might be going up for sale eventually.

I need the two pieces of plastic at the bottom of the sail panels. The ones right beside the bottom of the back seat. I also need the rear seat belts if clean and the wiring harness for the rear tail lights. Let me know how much with shipping to poquoson va 23662. What kind of shape is the driver side window seal? Would like that also if in good shape.

supercrackerbox
05-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Can you get me the part number off that front license plate bracket?

WickedShelby88
05-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Your one lucky guy. I'm still sitting on a non-running car and you find that.. damn..

Clay
05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
yeah, I couldnt believe it either! Im just really lucky that anyone called me at all! From the sound of things the guy at the junkyard had to convince the boss that anyone would want any parts from the car. If nothing else, Im just glad I could save some of the good stuff! Plus, Im glad no one even knew what the heck it was! ;) Only thing I wish was different is them letting ME remove the parts. Lost a lot of good things like wiring harness and IC/radiator hoses because they were "in the way" of getting the engine out.

guys, Ill check on the items you have listed as interested in. Ill warn you the interior parts arent in very good shape. I know Ive said it sat inside, but I think its probably sat outside for at least a little while here recently before it hit the junk yard anyway.

Clay
05-11-2008, 08:26 AM
moved to the Whittier car forum.

moparman76_69
05-11-2008, 08:29 AM
grab the pizza wheel center caps and one wheel for me please.

Clay
05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
ok, Ill get prices for you guys. On the pizza wheels, Ill almost guarentee you the price will be $40 per wheel. Dont know about the caps. If your still interested in them, let me know.

88_pacifica
05-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow... an orig shelby V/C.... :nod:

Clay
05-11-2008, 08:36 AM
hell, it still had original belts, plug wires, etc on the car. To bad it sat so long and then the junkyard monkeys cut em up

GLHS592
05-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I hate you! :)

WickedShelby88
05-11-2008, 11:42 PM
So uh how much will that 2 piece be going for? Sounds like you got a deal on it......

boost geek
05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
That's a nice find! Wonder what happened to the decals...

zin
05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Grab the body tag if you can, I always do on the numbered cars so I can confirm the loss.

Mike

WickedShelby88
05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Good call Zin.... So how do you guys feel about cloning a GLHS.. The real things are getting farther and fewer between for sure.

rich tideswell
05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Good call Zin.... So how do you guys feel about cloning a GLHS.. The real things are getting farther and fewer between for sure.

I'm OK with cloning cars so long as they are advertised as such. Not everyone can afford the "real deal", ask those in the market for hemi 'Cuda's. Cloning also allows some freedoms as no one will care that you "butchered" an orginal car. Trouble starts when VIN tags get swapped around.

BadAssPerformance
05-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Your one lucky guy. I'm still sitting on a non-running car and you find that.. damn..

You're sitting on a not running, non-bent car and you'd rather have a car that would take $10k and a solid donor car to straighten out? :confused2:

Nice find Clay! Hope you're able to salvage what you can, not sure if that scratch on it will buff out easily! ;)

Turbodave
05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
That GLHS needs to be in my barn. It would go nicely with the 87 CSX and 86 GLHS that are also hammered on the passenger side.

Clay
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
hehe, come get it dave!!!!!!!

Im going there today after work. Im going to try and work out a deal on the car to see if I can take it home, strip what I want, and take the rest back. Problem with these yards is they want to nickel and dime you for each little piece, hopefully I can work a deal.

To everyone who has asked, hopefully Ill have answer to your questions soon.

contraption22
05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm OK with cloning cars so long as they are advertised as such. Not everyone can afford the "real deal", ask those in the market for hemi 'Cuda's. Cloning also allows some freedoms as no one will care that you "butchered" an orginal car. Trouble starts when VIN tags get swapped around.

I agree. Cloning cars is acceptable, because, like you had said, not everybody gets to own the real deal, as as we can see... fewer and fewer of the real deals exist every day. As far as swapping VIN plates.... thats a crime and should be treated as such.

BadAssPerformance
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
That GLHS needs to be in my barn. It would go nicely with the 87 CSX and 86 GLHS that are also hammered on the passenger side.

Maybe we can photoshop a pic? if we get a good picture of each car, and say... one of your front yard... it can happen :D

TurbododgePirate
05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
CLAY,

If it hasn't been claimed... the rear hatch. It looks awesome. If it is, can you let me know?I could really use a good clean rear hatch.

Clay
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok, so I spent about an hour going over the car yesterday, looking at specific parts.

When I arrived, I found that the GLHS had made a new friend. Now I know what the guys in the officer meant when they were talking about 'that silver car':

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/787/shelbycharger-1.jpg

Looks like an 83/84 NA Shelby Charger. Complete. More on that somewhere else.

Anyway, I looked the car over pretty well. I was able to find the contents of the glove box, but unfortunatley, due to where it was wrecked, they were on the floor in about 2" of water. I could make out the shelby warrenty book and what not, but it was all basically a pile of goo. I did find the Koni adjustment knob in the floor, as well as a couple of reciepts and cassette tapes! (Diesel: Watts in your tank! ;) ). I was able to determine why some of the shelby decals are missing. A reciept for a body shop dated 03/1989 for about $2600 in repair work tells the tale. Then a few bank atm reciepts from early 1990 tells the rest of the story. Thats where the paper work ends! So Im assuming this car was wrecked in early 1990.

Onto the car: Basically the interior is junk. Everything on the passenger side from the door forward, and from the outside of the car to the center is gone. There is about 4" between the door sill and the center console. :( There might have been a couple of good pieces in the car, but I dont know that they are worth messing with to be honest. The junkyard monkeys broke the rear glass out because they didnt have a key, and then destroyed the dark plastic over the rear wheel wells when they removed the rear shocks. The drivers side might be salvagable, but the passenger side is shot. Pass side has classic surface flaking. Door panels are both junk and both broken. The rear hatch is in good shape, though it does have a couple of spots of surface rust on the bottom/back side. The other bad thing about the rear hatch is the glass. Saturday is had glass, yesterday it didnt. Exterior sail panels seem fine. The passenger tail light looks ok as does the rear bumper. All the seals are either missing or broken. Basically its one sorry hulk. The only shelby things I have yet to get are the steering wheel and shift knob. I just dont know if they are salvagable or not. Im going to take them off on Friday or saturday and check them but I have a feeling the leather wil just fall off.

Anyway, there are more pictures in my gallery of my findings yesterday. These cars dont have long left to be around. I found out that the area they are sitting in is basically death row. Guy running the yard said they are going to be crushed soon, my friend who works there said 2 - 3 weeks tops. I dont think they have that long actually.

WickedShelby88
05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
You're sitting on a not running, non-bent car and you'd rather have a car that would take $10k and a solid donor car to straighten out? :confused2:

Nice find Clay! Hope you're able to salvage what you can, not sure if that scratch on it will buff out easily! ;)

Lol, What I meant was if I could only find cars like that near me I wouldn't have spent so much money getting the one I do have going as I'd have all the parts available. Around here they crush everything useful before you can even make an offer for the most part.

Clay
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok guys a couple of quick questions:

I. How do the outside sail panels come off? clip in? bolt in? etc

II. Any tricks to removing the front bumper/clip?

III. Any tricks to removing the rear bumper?

Ive never had these parts off any SC before.

thanks,
clay

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Lol, What I meant was if I could only find cars like that near me I wouldn't have spent so much money getting the one I do have going as I'd have all the parts available. Around here they crush everything useful before you can even make an offer for the most part.

I guess I still dont see the desire to have a "car like that" that is a bent parts car vs. the parts car you're turning into a daily driver? :confused2:

Clay
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I think he just wants more parts available around him! ;)

BadAssPerformance
05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Gotcha...

Clay
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
all he has to do is drive here and he has all the parts he wants! ;) just has to do it in the next week or so! Ill event give him the guided tour ;)

Turbodave
05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok guys a couple of quick questions:

I. How do the outside sail panels come off? clip in? bolt in? etc

II. Any tricks to removing the front bumper/clip?

III. Any tricks to removing the rear bumper?

Ive never had these parts off any SC before.

thanks,
clay

The sail panels bolt in from behind.

Front bumper, is just a lot of 10mm nuts inside the fenders. If your not looking to save the fenders a sawzall makes life a lot easier. Being midwestern cars it's likely most of the fasteners won't come off easy, bring a can of PB blaster and I wish you luck.

Rear bumper isn't too bad, just some clips and a handful of 10mm nuts if I remember right for the cover, the reinforcement has a bolt that goes through the frame reail and threads into a U-nut. If it's rusty sometimes that nut breaks and spins, resulting in loud vulgar words.

Clay
05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
thanks dave!

Im going armed with about 5 dewalt batteries, and a full arsenal of Dewalt 18 volt cordless tools. Drill, sawzall, grinder, etc. Hopefully Ill have everything I need. Debating on taking my torch with me!! ;)

TurbododgePirate
05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Clay,

The rear hatch if you can get it as long as the rust isn't bad. Since the shocks are gone, it should just be held in place by 4- 10mm bolts that come through the roof and are covered by a wide sheetmetal trim panel on the roof held in place by phillips head screws. I don't know how I'll get it here, but I'll send you the money. Maybe somebody from SDAC coming this way can help.

Clay
05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Heath - I have one person interested in it before you. If they dont want it, its yours. NOW remember, there is no glass in this one. There is also the silver/blue one if you might want it.

TurbododgePirate
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Heath - I have one person interested in it before you. If they dont want it, its yours. NOW remember, there is no glass in this one. There is also the silver/blue one if you might want it.

I have 3 panes of glass. If the rubber is good, I could use that though. How is the blue/silver one?

Clay
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25330

it looks more rough, but there is no more rust on one hatch than the other.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
all he has to do is drive here and he has all the parts he wants! ;) just has to do it in the next week or so! Ill event give him the guided tour ;)

I appreciate the offer Clay. I will take you up on that if I can get my lancer going by then. Otherwise at 3.92 a gallon here I don't see myself making the trip in the mini.

Clay
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
No problem!! Its a real offer! If you want to come down Ill get you to the yard and I can even help with getting what ever you want off the cars. Im planning a trip tomorrow afternoon to work on getting what I can, and while Im there Ill check on the interior of that silver car.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
You the man Clay. Sorry on not getting back with on that lebaron stuff yet. I'm waiting to see how this LM things pans out.

Clay
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
No problem. Im in no hurry and the stuff isnt going anywhere. ;)