PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Needed Of '85/'86 GLH Turbo or '86 GLHS Hood Insulation Pad

Marcus86GLHS
05-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I am working with a supplier trying to get a reproduction pad made for the turbo omnis, which received a unique hood insulation pad due to the heat extractor on the hood.

below is a pix of a low mileage 86S w/ it's original pad, note the crooked cut line by the block-off plate. rather than presume this is how all GLHT/GLHS pads were cut, I'd like to have a sampling of other original pads on these cars just to compare car-to-car.

can any of you who still have that original pad in place, even if it is a bit tattered, please post a few pix for me? or email them to:

marcus86glhs@cs.com

thanks folks.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_466_full.jpg

Clay
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Just FYI there is a guy selling hood insulation pads for 2 door l-bodies. Ive got one for my GLHS, but I have yet to put it on.

Marcus86GLHS
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
CLAY where did you get it? Does it have the cut-out for the heat extractor area?

if it does, can you post a pix of the pad?

thanks.

jonnyb
05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
The charger hood pads are a lot different, so it probably won't help you Mark. I have a brand new one from mopar that I can share with you, but like I said, it's quite a bit different than the omni pad.

I'm pretty sure Kelly's 86 glhs #210 has the hood pad still. I have a picture of the car from the day after Cliff drove it back from Texas and I see the pad in tact, but I don't have shot of the entire pad (just the very bottom of the hood near the cowl). I'm sure Kelly would be more than happy to take a picture for you.

EDIT: I just looked and the glhs that I sold Jim a few years back had it in tact as well. It has the same cutout as the Papa's dodge glhs. I'll email you the picture right now.

Jon

Marcus86GLHS
05-09-2008, 06:40 PM
thanx Jonny, pix rec'd.

once i see about a dozen original pads i'll be more confident that i have it right when i do the repro pad layout.

the correct pad retainer clips are still available.

moparfwdsleeper
05-10-2008, 12:02 AM
what will they cost!

would they be willing to do one for the CSX(i want/need that one for my restore project:p)

GLHNSLHT2
05-10-2008, 01:55 AM
that pad is the 1st thing I rip off the car. They're ugly even new. What purpose do they serve?

moparfwdsleeper
05-10-2008, 03:42 AM
that pad is the 1st thing I rip off the car. They're ugly even new. What purpose do they serve?

When your restoring a car... Everything should be accounted for IMO.

Marcus86GLHS
05-10-2008, 04:59 AM
as CLAYTON said, its for those folks wanting to restore the cars to original looking and since my research says 100% of the glht/glhs cars got hood pads (not like the old days where you only got a hood pad if you ordered factory undercoating), i thought a pad was a good idea. i know i plan on installing one.

as for the CSX I will ask Frank when I speak to him next, is the CSX pad identical to the standard Shadow pad? pads are gonna be in the $35 range.

one other issue i am trying to find out is whether the GLHT's pad is any way is different than the GLHS pad.....for example: the GLHS pad has a cut-out for the vacuum diagram sticker since that sticker is on the hood......I seem to recall the GLHT's sticker is on the driver's side strut tower. but i am unsure of this.

so does the GLHT pad have a square cut-out like in the pix i posted above? thats why i need more info.

jonnyb
05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
one other issue i am trying to find out is whether the GLHT's pad is any way is different than the GLHS pad.....for example: the GLHS pad has a cut-out for the vacuum diagram sticker since that sticker is on the hood......I seem to recall the GLHT's sticker is on the driver's side strut tower. but i am unsure of this.

so does the GLHT pad have a square cut-out like in the pix i posted above? thats why i need more info.

The 85 glht's had the emissions sticker on the drivers side shock tower. The 86's glht's were on the hood just like on the 86 glhs. So the pads are different between 85 and 86.

GLHS592
05-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Just FYI there is a guy selling hood insulation pads for 2 door l-bodies. Ive got one for my GLHS, but I have yet to put it on.

Where did you get it? Is it like the factory pad?

Clay
05-10-2008, 11:07 AM
to answer the questions about the charger hood pad, Im unsure. Its still in the package.

Ill try to get it out this weekend and take some pictures.

moparfwdsleeper
05-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Marcus I have a GLHT hood outside(I just remembered it). I'll get you a pic of the pad on it:thumb:

Marcus86GLHS
05-10-2008, 04:59 PM
thanx Clayton. get close-ups of the details around the heat extractor area please.

now that Jonny has informed me that 85 glht pads are different than 86 glht/glhs pads, i will begin with getting the 86 pads first since the folks w/ the glhs seem to have more demand for a factory looking replacement pad.

other than the cut-out for the vacuum sticker, right now it seems like the 1985 glht pad is otherwise identical to the 1986 glht/glhs pad....unless pix show otherwise.

GLHS592
05-10-2008, 07:42 PM
other than the cut-out for the vacuum sticker, right now it seems like the 1985 glht pad is otherwise identical to the 1986 glht/glhs pad....unless pix show otherwise.

If the cutout is the only difference, just have them made and cut out the hole for the GLHS.

Marcus86GLHS
05-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Yep that will be easy to do. i learned they use a laser to cut these pads. my laser is broken so i will be using a razor blade to create the prototypes.

moparfwdsleeper
05-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm doing some cleaning around where I have that hood, expect pics today:thumb:

Marcus86GLHS
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
i rec'd a repro pad from the supplier Balleks Parts (302-492-8583) today. the folks over there were positive the pad was for a non-turbo application only, and thus didnt have the cut-out for the heat extractor. that's how they have it listed, part # DOD-090.

wrong.

i open up the package and flipped the pad over and sure enough there was a pre-cut on the backing material for the 2.2L turbo omni hood, all i had to do was take a razor blade and carefully trace the pre-cut and the pad becomes good for the turbo hoods......the cut-out appear dimensionally perfect when compared to the original pads i have pix of......and Frank at Balleks never knew this. oh well he's got a lot of parts to keep up with. I called him today to let him know, he's gonna revise the application listing.

only thing missing for the 86 glht/86 glhs: a cut-out for the vacuum sticker. thats easy enough to do since it is a simple square cutout, easy to measure for and produce.

one last thing: the pad isnt moulded. the moulding depth on these omni pads is very hard to see, it is quite shallow compared to other mopar pads.....so the unmoulded pad is not a dead-on repro but darned close and a lot better than a ratty old pad or no pad at all.

Turbodave
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Marcus, I didn't have the camera with me, but when I was at the barn this weekend I looked at 86 GLHS #107 and it still has it's original hood pad, same crooked cutout above the block off plate as your picture has.

Clay
05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Good to know Marcus.

I dont think the charger pad I have is molded either. I wonder what it would take to make that happen? Probably a LOT more interest in the cars than we could ever muster.

Marcus86GLHS
05-12-2008, 04:06 PM
"...........I wonder what it would take to make that happen?.........."

i asked Frank about that and his exact words were, "....ten thousand dollars for the moulding tool....."

Balleks sells plenty of moulded hood pads for the more popular cars and he says the volume justifies the tool cost but not so with the omni pads...no shocker there right.

DAVE thanks for checking..after looking at a bunch of original pads i am very sure that whacky looking cut-line is correct.

moparfwdsleeper
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Here is that pic.

http://www.turbododge.com/dodge_pictures/files/1/4/6/4/0/img_0229.jpg

Marcus86GLHS
05-13-2008, 05:21 AM
good pix, shows those subtle moulding lines.

Marcus86GLHS
05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
completed. for 30 minutes effort and $40 including the pad, clips, and shipping it might not be a dead ringer for 1986 but close enough for my car....the original block-off plate was restored and put back on....i never really noticed before but the '86 "block-off" plate actually in angled towards the bulkhead creating a nice path for heat extraction, not as open as the GLHT extractors but not a total block off that's for certain.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_478_full.jpg