PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Impulse?

TurboSedan
05-08-2008, 12:07 AM
does the 1st GEN Isuzu Impulse have potential? they are RWD right?

found one today at a house i delivered a pizza to. she told me she would sell it for $200. it had the Lotus suspension badge but i'm not sure if it was turbo or not. i have no idea what year it is but probably mid 80s? kind of a cool looking car.

---------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

2.216VTurbo
05-08-2008, 01:50 AM
A guy at the street races had one way back in the late 80's with some HKS parts on it, it was one fast car. I think what you should ask yourself is, do you need another project;)?

TurboSedan
05-08-2008, 02:07 AM
haha, VERY good point! i absolutely do NOT need another project car! i am NOT seriously considering buying the car, but i think it's an interesting car and wanted to learn more about them.

i am hoping to sell my Regal GS soon though; i love my supercharged GS but i want to get out of the car loan and lately i'm trying hard to become debt free. hopefully by the end of this summer i will be 100% debt free.

-----------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

gvare001
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
The turbo versions had a hood scoop on the hood, and I think they were rated at 160HP from the factory. I think that most factory released turbo car have potential. I too get caught up in all sorts of ideas, for example the other day while doing the rounds at my local UPick yard, I came across a 1989 Mazda 323 GT, everything was there, the entire motor, tranny, turbo, intercooler, wire harness, ECU. All of the sudden it was like oh boy oh boy, I got to have all this stuff, I mean that was my car while in high school, and I guess I still have a soft spot for them after all these years. But after I cooled down for a bit, I came to my senses and realized that I have all I can handle between the GLH and the Daytona. Besides I love my two cars to pieces, and a 323 GT can't touch a GLH anywhere you put them.:thumb:

minigts
05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Man, for $200, why not?! I'd buy a running Impulse for $200, almost sight unseen. Those were awesome cars, just never had any follow through in keeping that dream alive. They have all kinds of potential.

Xtrempickup
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
they sell on ebay for more than that. the only ones that were turbo said it on the windows, Intercooled Turbo. The non turbo ones were slugs, ive driven one

TurboSedan
05-08-2008, 05:08 PM
this one does have a hood bulge, but i didn't see any turbo decals. although i didn't look at the windows. oh, and unfortunately it has an automatic :( i think it's probably just a NA 2.3L car.

'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

WickedShelby88
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey those are still nice little cars and handle on rails. I had a Geo Storm which is its domestic brother. Very good on gas.

glhs399
05-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I've been rallycrossing an Impulse for this season and having a blast! It's a 84 n/a car. I'd buy it for $200, My buddy and I bought ours for $400. It runs pretty strong, still not even close to as much fun on the dirt as the Omni. http://shutterdriven.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11450&g2_serialNumber=1

gvare001
05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
You guys got to watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FE-XurEfQo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FE-XurEfQo

TurboSedan
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
i went and looked at it today. hasn't run for three years but apparantly it was parked since the battery or possibly alternator died. nice car otherwise, no rust at all. one very small dent near the headlight but otherwise very straight. i like how the hood opens from the windshield side :) it's just a 2.3L/automatic unfortunately. if it were a 5-speed i'd be tempted but in the end i already have three cars and don't have room for it. i need to keep focused on paying off debt and not another car that's going to drain my bank account.

-------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

TopDollar69
05-09-2008, 10:18 PM
It's amazing how much it looks like a Corrado, very nice looking car in JDM XE Lotus Piazza trim.

4 l-bodies
05-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I loved those Impulses. Should have had the impulse to buy one new:D. Bought a first year CRX instead. Then the following year, a 85 GLHT. Anyone remember the I Mark? They were pretty ugly compared to the Impulse, but could be had with the Impulses turbo motor in a much lighter car. Mistubishi's poor attempt to rain on the GLH parade?
Todd

TurboSedan
05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
It's amazing how much it looks like a Corrado, very nice looking car in JDM XE Lotus Piazza trim.

+1 the Piazza looks so cool! :amen:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/imagecache/file/300/archive/Isuzu/Piazza%20(86-90)/isuzu_piazza.jpg
------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS