PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Harness

johnl
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I am converting a 1985 GLHT to T2; engine is on a hook - building vacuum harness. What passenger side vacuum solenoids are essential? Or, at least which ones must be retained and have vacuum to them?

I just wanna pull all em off of the fire wall! Can't though, have to be able to get a smog certification for the car so the gas tank charcoal canister gets retained - what else?

Seems like all I really need is MAP, grainger/waste gate, boost gauge, BOV, charcoal canister, what else?

87glhs232
03-05-2006, 11:26 PM
As far as solinoids go, MAP and Wastegate are essential. I passed Cal. SMOG w/o the purge canister hooked up. Think I may delete it all together.

Aside from that....boost guage, BOV, FPR and brake booster.

There's a decent sticky at TD.com (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64239). Blech...it doesn't feel right linking to it.

GLHNSLHT2
03-06-2006, 12:05 AM
You're in Cali, you need it all. Thought they dinged you hard if a vacuum line wasn't there and it was supposed to be. What are you doing about the EGR valve? Even T2 cali cars had them.

87glhs232
03-06-2006, 01:53 AM
You're in Cali, you need it all. Thought they dinged you hard if a vacuum line wasn't there and it was supposed to be. What are you doing about the EGR valve? Even T2 cali cars had them.
The guy asked if they came stock, I told him I didn't think so. He was kinda sceptical, but he ran it and it passed by a mile. On my SMOG cert. it says EGR - N/A

johnl
03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
As for EGR - '85 T1 GLHT had an EGR. '86 T2s also had an EGR. '87 T2s did NOT have an EGR - otherwise identical to '86 T2s.

All of the parts for, both the '85 and the '86, EGR are NS1 at the dealer.

I will try it without EGR. If I can't then I will appeal and present printouts from the dealer showing that every EGR part number is NS1, followed by evidence that the same engine in 1986 did not need it, followed by evidence that the car is clean. We'll see.

johnl
03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Josh - are lyou saying that the computer has to "see" the MAP and WG solenoids, and that's why they have to stay? I mean suppose I grainger the WG and run vacuum direct to the LM?

cordes
03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
You mus have the map solenoid for the car to run. I am not sure about the WGA solenoid, but I believe it will trow a code.

87glhs232
03-06-2006, 10:12 PM
You mus have the map solenoid for the car to run. I am not sure about the WGA solenoid, but I believe it will trow a code.
That is correct. The computer cycles the MAP solinoid at start up (and possibly at predetermined intervals while running) to sample the atmospheric pressure. Sort of a base line for the computer. You need it. You can disconnect the WG solinoid if you don't want the computer to control the WG. It will throw a code, however I believe you can install a resistor to fool it....but I maybe wrong.

mech1nxh
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
The guy asked if they came stock, I told him I didn't think so. He was kinda sceptical, but he ran it and it passed by a mile. On my SMOG cert. it says EGR - N/A

just a note ....do not go back there in 08....:)

butchsuppe
03-17-2006, 02:37 AM
I,ve seen alot of Cali T2 cars without EGR

butchsuppe
03-17-2006, 02:41 AM
As far as solinoids go, MAP and Wastegate are essential. I passed Cal. SMOG w/o the purge canister hooked up. Think I may delete it all together.

Aside from that....boost guage, BOV, FPR and brake booster.

There's a decent sticky at TD.com (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64239). Blech...it doesn't feel right linking to it.
Hook up you canister, why waste fuel vapor when you could be using it!

cordes
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Hook up you canister, why waste fuel vapor when you could be using it!

Because no one had ever noticed a drop in MPGs after removing it, and it clutters up the engine bay.

Ground Rat
03-17-2006, 09:46 PM
it clutters up the engine bay.
:nod:

GLHSKEN
03-18-2006, 09:56 AM
That is correct. The computer cycles the MAP solinoid at start up (and possibly at predetermined intervals while running) to sample the atmospheric pressure. Sort of a base line for the computer. You need it.

Exactly, You MUST run the map solenoid. The computer does "sample" during decell. I've always run with my boost gauge T'd to the map. I could watch the map "sample"

It will throw a code if the electrical to the solenoids is not hooked up...

rbryant
03-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Dempsey has a good diagram of how to connect them. Many of the ones I have double checked have been connected incorrectly!

http://www.omnilith.net/teamomni/repair.htm

-Rich

tryingbe
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Even T2 cali cars had them.

There isn't a single california T2 car i ever seen have EGR.

And I have probably seen at least 12 of them. Where are you getting your info?