PDA

View Full Version : Where is my wastegate solenoid?

Subliminal
12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
On a 1986 GTS where is the wastegate solenoid. I want to try hooking my turbo up the way it's supposed to be, but I don't know where the little bugger is. I'm assuming it's one of the 4 little ditties beside each other on the pass side fender, but not sure which one.

Any help?

Thanks!

Subliminal
12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Nevermind. Figured it out...or at least i think i did. I hooked it up to the second of the 4 solenoids. The one right beside the map sensor, in the same type of order as the solenoid the map is hooked up to.

GLHSKEN
12-22-2005, 08:27 PM
that's the one!!!

Dave
12-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Good job!!

Subliminal
12-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Yey me!

Actually, i had to unhook it again. I'm finding all sorts of fun stuff.

For example: The car would boost REALLY nice sometimes, and then fall on its face. I could let off the gas and hit it again and it'd boost nice.

Pulled the plugs, one of them is totally black (installed them about 50 miles ago) and the others look fine.

Also, intermediate axle shaft support is loose for some reason. And the pass. axle is toast. So, there's that too. grin

d

Dave
12-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Sounds like one piston is getting oil soaked??? Das nicht gut!

Subliminal
12-23-2005, 10:13 PM
I was thinking more like an injector was stuck on or something. Hard to say yet...we shall see.

d

The S is Silent
12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm gonna piggyback on this thread...where is the wastegate solenoid on a minivan? Is it one of the two bolted to the radiator support on the passenger side near the coil? How do you tell which is which, because I don't have a bank of solenoids like I did on my charger?

Matt

Subliminal
12-24-2005, 10:32 PM
I thought the wastegate solenoid on an smec system was the lower 1/2 of the MAP sensor unit. Vac hose goes to the solenoid, then to the map.

Could be wrong though...it's happened once or twice before. ;)

The S is Silent
12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
I thought the one right under the map sensor was the baro-read solenoid.

On this note...how does the wastegate solenoid work??? Does it bleed pressure off until the computer gives it a signal to open?

Subliminal
12-24-2005, 10:41 PM
oh, ok, you're right. The wastegate solenoid is one of the two little fellas on the pass side fenderwell. There's a blue wire plug and a green one that go into it. It's mounted with a screw in the middle, and has 2 sets of 2 each vacuum lines comiung out the lower front.

If memory serves right. ;)

The S is Silent
12-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Yup...those are the ones I was thinking about...they don't really look like the solenoids in the earlier cars.

Blue and Green wires...sweet. Thanks Damon.

Lee'sdaytona
12-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Ahh crap! I have 8 turbo one injectors just laying around. 4 are known good ones, and only like a year old. I don't know if your running turbo II injectors in your engine...but if you want you can have one to try. Like you were saying, it could be a leaky injector making that plug all black. Damn I wish I would've read this before the party city meet :cool:
-Lee

Subliminal
12-31-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, upon further inspection, and a little thought on something i totally overlooked, I ruled out injectors.

When i initially pulled the plugs and wires when i bought it the initial plugs looked fine.

I found a faulty wire, replaced it, and she runs pretty good in that department.

Now I need either a clutch, a tranny, or a clutch cable. She's no longer roadworthy. :(

Lee'sdaytona
12-31-2005, 01:44 AM
AHH that quick huh? it was running fine today right? Aww man, I hope its just a cable....
-Lee

Subliminal
01-01-2006, 09:42 AM
It's cool, Lee. I think I found the problem. ;)

85lebaront2
01-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Not good, but better than the alternative. BTW, I have a good small spline (pre 87) intermediate shaft if you need it.

Subliminal
01-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Bill.

I just changed out the clutch cable. Man did I about bury myself in sorrows when i got the new cable on and it still didn't work. Turned out to be the bracket on the strut tower. Swapped that out and she clutches like a charm.

And I actually had an extra int. shaft left over from the original setup on the gold car.

But thanks for the offer! :thumb: