PDA

View Full Version : TBI issues

Anonymous_User
05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
My bro picked up a low mileage '91 or '92 (crap, can't remember) P-body. Has the n/a 2.5. Runs great except:

Most of the time it wants to idle high. Regardless of engine temp, it just seem to want to hold RPM's for a while. On my turbo engines I'd look at the AIS or the SDS. Recommendations?

The cooling fan does not kick on until the gauge reads HOT. If I unplug the temp sensor, the fan kicks on immediately. I swapped the temp sensor with one from my pile-o-parts and it does the same thing. Try a NEW sensor or ?????

I say he should just drop in a 'decent' motor. Is there a '92 P-body (pretty sure he said '92) wiring harness that is plug-n-play if he decides to convert?

raccoon
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
TBI engines should have the same idle control motors and such as a turbo one, they just cram everything into the throttle body.

contraption22
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Agreed, the diagnostic proceedures are pretty much the same with TBI or Turbo.

You can take anything the OE temp guage reads with a grain of salt, but, my TBI Acclaim will idle for a long, long long time before the fan kicks on. The fan does not kick on till 212 or 220 I think.

You can plug in the scanner and read what the computer sees as the coolant temp. The guage has it's own sender, and does not use the computer's coolant temp sensor for a reading.

Anonymous_User
05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Agreed, the diagnostic proceedures are pretty much the same with TBI or Turbo.

You can take anything the OE temp guage reads with a grain of salt, but, my TBI Acclaim will idle for a long, long long time before the fan kicks on. The fan does not kick on till 212 or 220 I think.

You can plug in the scanner and read what the computer sees as the coolant temp. The guage has it's own sender, and does not use the computer's coolant temp sensor for a reading.

This was my advice to him, also... don't trust the stock gauge. But, traveling at high way speeds, the gauge reads just under the 1/2 way mark between cold and hot, which sounds accurate.

It runs, doesn't seem to cause any problems, so if it were mine, I'd leave well enough alone. Don't know what he will do.

contraption22
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
This was my advice to him, also... don't trust the stock gauge. But, traveling at high way speeds, the gauge reads just under the 1/2 way mark between cold and hot, which sounds accurate.

It runs, doesn't seem to cause any problems, so if it were mine, I'd leave well enough alone. Don't know what he will do.

It doesn't hurt to put a scanner on it just to make sure everything is ok, but if the fan is comming on and cycling, there is most likely no problem.