PDA

View Full Version : Wiring woes (with pics)

cordes
05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
OK, I have searched my FSM diligently to try and figure out exactly what this connector is for, and what the wire which has burnt all of his insulation off is supposed to do. The best I can tell it was gray with a black tracer, and I think it goes to the instrument cluster. Once I know what this is for, I will be able to put my dash back in, and figure out why the car won't run.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/P5040013.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/P5040012.JPG

supercrackerbox
05-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Year/model?

raccoon
05-04-2008, 04:01 PM
intermittent wiper module!

cordes
05-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry guys. It is a 90' Shadow. If it is the wipers I won't worry about it to much. I will try and put the dash all back together and give diagnose it again.

Clay
05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
could it be to the radio?

cordes
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't think so, although you have me thinking now. ARRRGH!

black86glhs
05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Are you 100% it is not one of the ignition connectors? I know very little of the shadows, but it looks similar to my Omni.

Bardo
05-05-2008, 01:08 AM
could it be to the radio?

that does look like the plug that goes to the radil. there should be a black one that looks just like it (just not burned;) )

supercrackerbox
05-05-2008, 03:23 AM
It's definately not the radio. I don't have any parts or info that new, but I'll dig under the dash on my Daytona tomorrow morning and see if I see anything similar.

2.216VTurbo
05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I propose that is has another connector just like it only black, and they both go to the radio...

Bardo
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
I propose that is has another connector just like it only black, and they both go to the radio...

that does look like the plug that goes to the radio. there should be a black one that looks just like it (just not burned;) )
:thumb:

raccoon
05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
wiper system, dont make me take a picture!

Clay
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
wiper system, dont make me take a picture!

Im not saying one way or the other, I just dont remember my wipers having that many needed wires, even with the intermittent box.

raccoon
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
well then can it reach the left kick panel? maybe it plugs in there with the rest of the dash plugs, its either that or somewhere on the steering column.

cordes
05-05-2008, 10:01 PM
It pugs into the back side of the dash to the left of the fuse block. The connector that it goes into is also gray. The wiring looks to go up toward the dash cluster, and that wiring does go onto the radio. I will try and record the colors of the wires etc. and look at my manual again, and then repost if I can't figure it out unless someone comes up with a definite answer. Thanks for the help thus far guys. I hope I can get this car going soon, as it is great when it is running.

WickedShelby88
05-07-2008, 12:51 AM
I think the cig. lighter is on the same circuit as well.. See if that gives you trouble. A wiring diagram or a FSM would be gold in a situation like this..If you look closely at the connector I can tell you right now that thing never went directly to the radio. The radio connector will have a small piece sticking up that slide into the clip in the back of a radio.. But I think you already mentioned it doesn't go directly but is related to that part of the wiring.. Are you interior lights working correctly as well? May trace to the ignition. I hate shorts, but there are common places to look: ignition things that turn on or stay on, interior and dash lights, cig lighter, radio wiring.. In a 90 though would that car have a BCM?

MiniMopar
05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
It looks like the radio connector, but I don't see how it could ever reach that far given where this picture is taken. It also looks like the wiper module, but it's hard to tell. Can to can a pic of the end? Does it accept round pins or a flat edge connector?

WickedShelby88
05-07-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm with you on the wiper module.. I thought radio connector too until I looked at it more closely.

mock_glh
05-14-2008, 12:09 AM
My '90 Horizon has one like that plugged into the instrument cluster. It has 2 rows of sockets on it.

BadAssPerformance
05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Looks like the grey radio plug but... too many wires. these cars are plug and play, look for the matching socket under the dash/steering column :thumb:

chilort
05-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Is this from working on your heater core? (I think I remember correctly....??).

The folks at Chrysler should've never made that job so ^&#*ing difficult. ... heater cores and clutches... heater cores and clutches.

cordes
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Bringing yet another thread from the dead here, but with good news.

It would appear as though my actual ignition switch is bad. Today I got the headlights working which was easy as I just needed to push the headlight switch onto the socket a little further.

Once I was done with this I noticed that all three fuses that were not working were fed from the same wire. They controlled the blower motor, wipers, and the power windows. Checking the wiring diagrams, I saw that the feed wire to the block came from the ignition switch. I back probed the wire with the car in run, and there was no voltage, but there was continuity from the ign. connector to the connector at the block. I will try to pick up a new switch and install it tomorrow.

I also believe that the plug in question was indeed a radio plug, which is why my stereo sounds crappy.

Thanks so much for all the help guys. I am horrible at this electrical business, but I am learning fast. :thumb: