PDA

View Full Version : 1990 specific EX. voltage Reg. install

PUNKSLIP
03-04-2006, 08:27 PM
I am trying to install an external voltage regulator in my 1990 Daytona ES Turbo, but have run into a snag. I was following instructions from a different site that said to trace wires from SBEC plug to Alt. field wires with continuety tester to insure proper wire usage. However, I was able to get continuety through 4 wires on SBEC plug. There are 2 Alt. field wires.
If someone has the same car with this swap, give me a clue, I don't want to mees something else up.:confused:

PUNKSLIP
03-11-2006, 01:18 AM
I installed my external voltage regulator today. It seem to be charging a little high though, 14 to 15 volts. And my alt. seems to run a little warmer than I would like to see. I will drive it for a while and post what I did and how well it works.

John

PUNKSLIP
03-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Hello, hello,
Man, it seems like i'm talking to myself here.
I found my Simpson 250 meter buried under another project, tested my voltage, 17.5 with the external regulator. So, I unplugged all the crap I installed in the charging system, and what the hell, my system is charging again, but only at 12.5 volts. Before i had nothing. And, all my fault codes that had gone away with the external reg. are back. My factory volt meter is way shy of being correct. I showed 15 volts on my dash, actual was 17.5 at idle.

John

GLHSKEN
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
For the hassle of a voltage reg install, I would have simply installed a new smec. Not surprised the factory guages are off somewhat. Is it possible the alt was charging so high after the install to simply recharge the battery?? Given time it might have come down...

PUNKSLIP
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks Ken, but it is a new Computer, and Alt. and battery. I thought about the battery needing charging and let it run for a while just to make sure. I first thought it was a fuseable, but I tested them so many times, the coatings look like swiss cheese. Now what I can't figure out is why did it suddenly start charging, but only at 12.5 volts. And, just like before with the original comp., the fault codes won't clear.

John

PUNKSLIP
03-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, now putting about 14.5 volts. I found a bad splice and made the repair.
Hope it won't let me down.
I was so happy I went out and got insurance on it. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

John

GLHSKEN
03-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Congrats!!!