PDA

View Full Version : Any Questions for a Caliber SRT4 Owner?

sherm1123
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Hello all! I'm Sherman and I'm new here and have read lots of interesting comments regarding the newest member of the Turbo-MOPAR family, the Caliber SRT4. I thought that I would give you a little bit of performance information and then I will gladly answer any questions that anyone has on the car to the best of my abilitiy.

2008 Caliber SRT4 (CSRT)
285HP 265TQ Stock
13.98 fastest stock 1/4 mile time-most are running low 14's
12.72 fastest modified CSRT- link to info on this car:
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5348

The 2008's come in four colors- black, red, silver, and orange. Production on the 2008's will stop in the next month with projected numbers of 1000-3000 being produced. They are a very low production, very fast and powerful turbo Mopar; by my calculations, the most powerful turbo 4 cylider vehicle Dodge has ever offered. I would hope that you would welcome this car to your ranks as the current flagship it is to the Turbo-MOPAR platform.

About me- My first memory is of standing in the backseat of my Gramps' 69 Superbee and yelling, "Go 100 grampa!". I've been driving MOPAR's since I've been driving. Here's a few that I've owned- 2008 Caliber SRT-4, 2003 SRT-4, 96 Neon ACR, 87 Shelby Z T2, 86 Shelby Charger, 85 Omni GLH-T, 71 Roadrunner, 74 Roadrunner, 72 Charger, 73 Duster V8.

Any questions?

contraption22
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new vehicle.

contraption22
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
How does the extra bulk and higher center of gravity of the Caliber feel compared to your Neon SRT-4?

88_pacifica
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Is yours modded in any way? What are the various mods that can be done and what trouble spots have you noticed thus far? How many miles are on yours already? Have you actually taken yours to the strip and seen what it would do?

contraption22
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
What does the "virtual limited slip diff" feel like?

Clay
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
How does the extra bulk and higher center of gravity of the Caliber feel compared to your Neon SRT-4?

Mike, if you go to the link in his original post the fastest CSRT has dyno numbers:

Neon SRT-4
11.431 @ 123.61__________417 Hp / 450 Tq

Caliber SRT-4
12.782 @ 111.09__________407 Hp / 460 Tq

similar HP/Tq numbers and the CSRT4 is 1.3 seconds slower, so I bet it does feel a bit different.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Mike,
I had the NSRT for several years, so driving it was like a comfortable pair of shoes. So far it does feel quicker and more agile than the CSRT, but I've only been driving the CSRT for a couple of months. The CSRT, on the other hand is much faster and more powerful! It is an SRT so all of the suspension has been tuned to take care of the size and weight of the car. I haven't road raced mine yet, but the reviews form the owners that have and the feedback from the SRT Driving Experience schools that have taken place has been exceptional. The more you throw at the car the more it can handle.
Sherman

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Is yours modded in any way? What are the various mods that can be done and what trouble spots have you noticed thus far? How many miles are on yours already? Have you actually taken yours to the strip and seen what it would do?

No, mine is stock and will stay that way- just as my NSRT did. Mine is a daily driver and I need the warranty until the payments are done. I have 4000 miles on it so far. My NSRT had 126,000 when I traded it in and it never saw the inside of a dealership. It was the most dependable vehichle I have ever owned. The type of mods for the CSRT available are already endless, I'm sure they will be similar to what was/is available with the NSRT. There are several vendors dealing specifically with these cars. For more info you can check out the vendor sections on www.caliberforums.com. No, the tracks are just opening up here so I haven't made it too any of the open events yet, but will soon. :)

BadAssPerformance
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

got pics? :eyebrows:

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
What does the "virtual limited slip diff" feel like?

The ESP doesn't really feel at all. The only time it kicks in is if you let the car get squirelly on you. Its basically to keep inexpierenced FWD drivers from ending up in the ditch etc. It is supposed to help eliminate torque steer, but that really isn't an issue on this car if you compare it to earlier FWD performance cars. There is a button on the console to turn it off for racing or whatever. There is also aftermarket devices to completely turn it off. My expierence with it so far, is that it hasn't been an issue- good or bad. It might be helpful in the snow and ice. I guess I'll find out next winter. When I race I just turn it off, just like the AC.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Mike, if you go to the link in his original post the fastest CSRT has dyno numbers:

Neon SRT-4
11.431 @ 123.61__________417 Hp / 450 Tq

Caliber SRT-4
12.782 @ 111.09__________407 Hp / 460 Tq

similar HP/Tq numbers and the CSRT4 is 1.3 seconds slower, so I bet it does feel a bit different.

The Red Shed, as the CSRT is called, is ever increasing in power and will surpass the NSRT very soon. There are several other heavily modded CSRT's in the works that may surpass the Red Sled too. Its a bit of a competion among the various shops to see who has the fastest more poweful car. I guess they think it will help sell their products.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum! :thumb:

got pics? :eyebrows:

How many more do you want?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/sherm1123/SRT43-26-08005.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/sherm1123/SRT43-26-08001.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/sherm1123/SRT43-26-08003.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/sherm1123/LivingRoom-SRT43-9-08042.jpg

BadAssPerformance
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Looks good in black! :thumb:

Clay
05-02-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah, it does look good in black!

is that "wing" on the back factory?

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
yeah, it does look good in black!

is that "wing" on the back factory?

Yes, it is all stock. That wing keeps the back end on the ground at 150! I like it allot better than the wing on the NSRT. That thing was a cop magnet!I haven't checked the govenor on the new car yet, but it got to 140 real fast!

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Looks good in black! :thumb:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm partial to black. My NSRT, Shelby Z and Shelby Charger were all black.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Off Topic: Can someone PM me and let me know how to add photo's to my gallery, add a signature, and an avatar? I've searched and don't seem to find instructions...

Thanks!

contraption22
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions about your Caliber.

Best of luck with it!

See you at the track.:thumb:

88_pacifica
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm partial to black. My NSRT, Shelby Z and Shelby Charger were all black.

Yeah, me too... Black is THE best color EVER!! :nod: :clap::thumb:

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions about your Caliber.

Best of luck with it!

See you at the track.:thumb:

No problem! Thanks for being interested. I do love the track....

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, me too... Black is THE best color EVER!! :nod: :clap::thumb:

And the fastest too!

sherm1123
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Update on CSRT track times: A "regular guy", Matty, ran two 13.4's with his CSRT this weekend. He has done nothing to the stock internals or turbo. He has a TBE, slightly larger injectors, a boost controller and timing module. The power of these cars hasn't even started to be unleashed! He's hoping to run 12's tomorrow night! If you want to read more or see scans of the time slips go here:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6579&page=3

Aries_Turbo
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
yours looks real nice. I know i busted your balls in the other thread but i do like the fact that dodge is keeping the turbo tradition alive even with the newest generation of engines. :)

Brian

sherm1123
05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
yours looks real nice. I know i busted your balls in the other thread but i do like the fact that dodge is keeping the turbo tradition alive even with the newest generation of engines. :)

Brian

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Yeah, it is a great tradition and I've been there from the start and owned a few of the pieces. I look forward to your review once you have driven the car, I know I keep saying this, but I do believe you will be surprised.
Sherman

overlordsshadow
05-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Sherm, hit welcome at the top left of any page and on the left hand side is a list of things you can do. You avatar and sig should be there somewhere.

sherm1123
05-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Sherm, hit welcome at the top left of any page and on the left hand side is a list of things you can do. You avatar and sig should be there somewhere.

Thanks! Yeah, I figured it out- I had to pay!:D

I still haven't figured out how to get Pictures in my gallery. I upload, but they never appear....

Johnny
05-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Production on the 2008's will stop in the next month with projected numbers of 1000-3000 being produced.

Are they selling enough to make them in 2009 also?

Johnny
PB

Johnny
05-30-2008, 09:20 AM
By the way, there is a place called "Modern Performance" in Houston, TX that is going to start selling Caliber SRT-4 engine mount inserts for your car. The stock mounts are pretty soft.

Johnny
PB

sherm1123
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Are they selling enough to make them in 2009 also?

Johnny
PB

Yes, there will be a 2009 model. There are a few changes, nothing performance wise. Orange is gone, blue is available. MyGig will be standard. If you are interested let me know and I can post some links for the 2009. No price numbers yet. Orders for the 2009's will start in the next few weeks and they start building 2009's in July.

sherm1123
05-30-2008, 03:20 PM
By the way, there is a place called "Modern Performance" in Houston, TX that is going to start selling Caliber SRT-4 engine mount inserts for your car. The stock mounts are pretty soft.

Johnny
PB

Modern Performance is a great shop! They have came up with lots of good parts for the CSRT already. I haven't had any problems with my mounts, or anything else for that matter, but I'm not planning on running 10's. :) Even the guys that are running 12's already are doing it on the stock mounts, but stronger parts are always welcome. :thumb: Thanks for the interest and the note!

CSX173
06-02-2008, 07:49 AM
What kind of gas mileage are you getting? It sounds like you don't baby it too much, so your numbers might be what us "average" turbo drivers would get. I would hope it is better than the Caliber with the CVT. They are dogs to drive. It sounds kinda like a snow mobile. I haven't seen better than 27 mpg driving a company owned one. And that's mostly interstate driving.

sherm1123
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
What kind of gas mileage are you getting? It sounds like you don't baby it too much, so your numbers might be what us "average" turbo drivers would get. I would hope it is better than the Caliber with the CVT. They are dogs to drive. It sounds kinda like a snow mobile. I haven't seen better than 27 mpg driving a company owned one. And that's mostly interstate driving.

Personally I'm averaging right at 27mph, with that being 40% highway and 60% city. I've gotten 32mpg on the highway. It is funny that the guys getting the best MPG are the ones that have done the most performance upgrades. One of the cars in the 12's is getting 36 mpg on the highway and there are several guys getting 34 mpg or better. Yes, it does better than the CVT cars. From what I have read and experienced, I would say that the advertised milage is very close to what you can expect.

contraption22
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Personally I'm averaging right at 27mph, with that being 40% highway and 60% city. I've gotten 32mpg on the highway. It is funny that the guys getting the best MPG are the ones that have done the most performance upgrades. One of the cars in the 12's is getting 36 mpg on the highway and there are several guys getting 34 mpg or better. Yes, it does better than the CVT cars. From what I have read and experienced, I would say that the advertised milage is very close to what you can expect.

The increased milage on the 12 second car can likely be attributed to the upgraded turbocharger. Less backpressure and a higher boost threshold will do that. It's one of the rationales I'm using to justify the upgrade the turbo on my Neon SRT-4.

Keito
06-02-2008, 02:09 PM
The increased milage on the 12 second car can likely be attributed to the upgraded turbocharger. Less backpressure and a higher boost threshold will do that. It's one of the rationales I'm using to justify the upgrade the turbo on my Neon SRT-4.

I finally got my SST replaced, the first one took a crap.
Also installed a ported manifold.
PTP told me since I didn't have a ported mani, the extra heat from the bigger turbo cooked the seals.
I'll let you know if I experience any increase in MPG.
I noticed the exhaust is a little louder.
I'll have it up @ SDAC 18 as well.

contraption22
06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
PTP told me since I didn't have a ported mani, the extra heat from the bigger turbo cooked the seals.

Did they serve you that BS on rye or whole wheat?

GLHNSLHT2
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Not all of us hang out on SRTforums so what's SST/ptp/TBE mean?

contraption22
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Not all of us hang out on SRTforums so what's SST/ptp/TBE mean?

PTP is PT Performance, a vendor.

SST is their SuperStock Turbo... basically a stock turbo with an upgraded compressor wheel and a clipped turbine.

TBE is a Turbo-back exhaust.

sherm1123
06-02-2008, 04:41 PM

That makes sense, thanks! At $4+ per gallon, the increased MPG will pay for the upgraded turbo internals in no time! You think the wife will buy this train of thought?

JamesL
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Picked up my Caliber SRT4 yesterday. Slightly used (7K miles) and with a few options missing that I wanted but its still a pretty cool car and I got it at a great price. It is silver which I'm starting to like but I'll need to do some kind of graphics. I'd say some lowering with some bettr handling components will be my first priority.

contraption22
06-02-2008, 05:36 PM
That makes sense, thanks! At $4+ per gallon, the increased MPG will pay for the upgraded turbo internals in no time! You think the wife will buy this train of thought?

Give it a shot!

contraption22
06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Picked up my Caliber SRT4 yesterday. Slightly used (7K miles) and with a few options missing that I wanted but its still a pretty cool car and I got it at a great price. It is silver which I'm starting to like but I'll need to do some kind of graphics. I'd say some lowering with some bettr handling components will be my first priority.

Are ya takin it to SDAC?

2.216VTurbo
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM

So it's the new FWD Perf new company van eh? It's gonna look sweet with roof racks and a matching trailer:D

You've got a dyno graph for us already then right:thumb:?

GLHNSLHT2
06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
HAHHAHAH van :)

JamesL
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Are ya takin it to SDAC?

Yes. :thumb:

JamesL
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
So it's the new FWD Perf new company van eh? It's gonna look sweet with roof racks and a matching trailer:D

I'll have them by the end of the week. As for roof racks and a trailer......Don't know about that.

JDAWG
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I just had a chance to get in one last week. I was suprised at how roomy it was and I like where they put the boost gauge too. The reason its in the shop is because the carrier truck driver backed in into a curb which scraped up the back bumper and bent the exhaust.

sherm1123
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Congrats! That is great that you are taking it to SDAC 18! That will give some of these guys some exposure and I'm guessing some opinions will be changed. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with anything! Pictures are always nice!

contraption22
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes. :thumb:

Sweet! I'd like to see what they can really do on the track!

2.216VTurbo
06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Sweet! I'd like to see what they can really do on the track!

Sweet, Chris from TU already said he will be at SDAC (I assume in his company van:)) I'm thinking company van grudge match between TU and FWD Perf.:eyebrows: It'll have to be bracket though, he doesn't have a turbo on his company van... I'll throw $25. twards the entry fee, anyone else?

glhs727
06-02-2008, 09:57 PM

I gotta disagree with that. I had a upgraded turbo on my car, larger compressor wheel in the stock (machined) housing and the manifold was stock and unported. Had it on for more than 45,000 miles and NEVER had an issue. I also didn't have a turbo timer or anything special for cooling.
later,
Cindy

CSX173
06-03-2008, 08:27 AM
"So it's the new FWD Perf new company van eh?" LOL. Just be glad SRT did that car and not one of these new Chery JV ones that looks like an Easter Egg. They are about 1/2 the size of a parking space and I have only seen them in very bright colors so far. At least, I assume that is what these cars in the back lot with Chineese graphics at work are. what an ugly POS. I would rather see them blow the dust off some old tooling and bring back one of our old body styles. I sure would hate to get T-Boned by a Surburban in one. Of course, maybe it bounces like a ball. I swear they look just like an Easter Egg with tiny 12" lawn mower tires.

JamesL
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
"So it's the new FWD Perf new company van eh?" LOL. Just be glad SRT did that car and not one of these new Chery JV ones that looks like an Easter Egg. They are about 1/2 the size of a parking space and I have only seen them in very bright colors so far. At least, I assume that is what these cars in the back lot with Chineese graphics at work are. what an ugly POS. I would rather see them blow the dust off some old tooling and bring back one of our old body styles. I sure would hate to get T-Boned by a Surburban in one. Of course, maybe it bounces like a ball. I swear they look just like an Easter Egg with tiny 12" lawn mower tires.

Thats a funny visual.:D. Might make a good car for the art car parade they have here.

Johnny
06-11-2008, 12:52 AM
SRT Caliber owners, I might have something special for you to look at
at SDAC if I can get them finished in time.

Johnny
PolyBushings.com
:clap::clap:

JamesL
06-15-2008, 10:16 AM

I finally found some time to get the CSRT4 on the dyno. It was 97 degrees in the shop but the car still managed 280 WHP and 290 ftlbs. Not bad for 10psi of boost. Various air cleaner configurations made no signiifcant change in power including no air cleaner at all. I did attempt to by-pass computer controlled boost and made 300HP at 12psi but the curve was all over the place. Boost would spike to 12, drop to 8 and then build back to about 11 at 6K RPM. Had plenty of fuel though. Perhaps a stiffer spring in the wastegate but I can't be sure what the throttle by wire system is doing.

2.216VTurbo
06-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Wow, nice flat curves too:thumb: Did you make a totally stock pass or are they way underated:evil:?

JamesL
06-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Wow, nice flat curves too:thumb: Did you make a totally stock pass or are they way underated:evil:?

That is a totally stock pass. I've got some work to do to figure out how to take control of this thing. I can tell you it didn't feel like 280HP. It was really smooth and after driving it around a little I didn't expect to even hit 250.

contraption22
06-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Nice numbers!

raccoon
06-15-2008, 07:51 PM
question, how can you stand the massive blind spots in the Calibers?

contraption22
06-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Depending how you feel about the looks of the Caliber... "blind" isn't always a bad thing.

ShelbyZ
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I will be at SDAC with my CSRT4 in the fastest colour-Black! Best 1/4 so far is a 13.90 !
ED DP with no meows should on in time for Drags on tues !

lata
John
2008 Caliber SRT4....13.90@99
1991 Shadow Turbo...2.2LCB w/T3turbo with .60comp/.63 exh, FMIC, 568 trans.

sherm1123
06-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I finally found some time to get the CSRT4 on the dyno. It was 97 degrees in the shop but the car still managed 280 WHP and 290 ftlbs. Not bad for 10psi of boost. Various air cleaner configurations made no signiifcant change in power including no air cleaner at all. I did attempt to by-pass computer controlled boost and made 300HP at 12psi but the curve was all over the place. Boost would spike to 12, drop to 8 and then build back to about 11 at 6K RPM. Had plenty of fuel though. Perhaps a stiffer spring in the wastegate but I can't be sure what the throttle by wire system is doing.

Great post James. Those are around the same numbers that all of the guys who have dynoed thiers stock are getting. You might check out some of the posts over at www.caliberforums.com for some info on the type of changes your are wanting to make.

sherm1123
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM

My opinion is that they are underrated for insurance purposes, as they were originally advertised at 300HP and then it was backed down to 285HP, but most are dynoing much higher at the wheels.

sherm1123
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM

I came from a NSRT and I don't notice any blind spots in the CSRT.

sherm1123
06-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I will be at SDAC with my CSRT4 in the fastest colour-Black! Best 1/4 so far is a 13.90 !
ED DP with no meows should on in time for Drags on tues !

lata
John
2008 Caliber SRT4....13.90@99

John,
Great numbers! Sounds like there will be at least 2 CSRT's at SDAC. You guys will have to convert the masses! Good luck, they are a pretty tough crowd! Let me know how it goes.
Sherman

sherm1123
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Depending how you feel about the looks of the Caliber... "blind" isn't always a bad thing.

Comments on how a car looks from an Omni owner never cease to amaze me! I can say that because I used to be one! :) But seriously, I just can't imagine that everyone doesn't find the CSRT completely bad --- and beautiful! I get stopped at least once a day by someone asking questions about the car and saying how great it looks. I never got that from my GLH-T.

TurboII
06-16-2008, 09:36 PM
How much boost does your caliber come with stock?

contraption22
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Comments on how a car looks from an Omni owner never cease to amaze me! I can say that because I used to be one! :) But seriously, I just can't imagine that everyone doesn't find the CSRT completely bad --- and beautiful! I get stopped at least once a day by someone asking questions about the car and saying how great it looks. I never got that from my GLH-T.

I feel part of the charm of the 4 door lbodies is their ugliness. Maybe someday i will feel the same about the caliber.

sherm1123
06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
How much boost does your caliber come with stock?
It is boost restricted in first and second. The max I am seeing is about 12psi, but that is just spikes. I would guess it averages between 8-10psi. The cars are very "detuned" from the factory. As the aftermarket tuners are showing, once you get past the factory restrictions the car is a monster!

sherm1123
06-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I feel part of the charm of the 4 door lbodies is their ugliness. Maybe someday i will feel the same about the caliber.

How long have you had your GLH? Maybe seeing the CSRT's at SDAC will help romance you towards them.

overlordsshadow
06-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Maybe the boost restriction off line is 'traction control'?

sherm1123
06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Maybe the boost restriction off line is 'traction control'?

It is in the fact that most people couldn't launch the car with 300HP in 1st and 2nd and even with the boost restriction, keeping the wheels from spinning is tough. But the ESP traction control only comes on when you get sideways or start to make the car think you are loosing control. Truthfully, it has not bothered me at all.

contraption22
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
How long have you had your GLH? Maybe seeing the CSRT's at SDAC will help romance you towards them.

I've had my Horizon since 1991. My brother gave it to me for free.... to save him the cost of having it towed away.

TurboII
06-18-2008, 08:11 AM

your made this HP in stock forum if so SWEET!!!!....and how much boost does the car come with stock.

overlordsshadow
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
How does your car stack up in a race against a Subaru WRX STI?

JamesL
06-18-2008, 11:04 AM
your made this HP in stock forum if so SWEET!!!!....and how much boost does the car come with stock.
When I got it, it would only make 7. After the PCM reflash, it made 10. SO that run was with 10 psi of boost.

JamesL
06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
How does your car stack up in a race against a Subaru WRX STI?

I Don't really know. I haven't raced it against anything yet.

SpiritedShelbys
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Isn't the factory detuning what they were playing with on the '05 SRT's? Isn't that the reason the '05 computers are touchier than the 03-04 cars? Does anyone know?

ShelbyZ
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I just ran a new best ET at Milan on Eaton day yesterday....13.80@103mph!
ESP was off. Tire pressure dropped to 17psi.

Started off with a 14.0 @102 and brought her down thru the day, good practice runs for SDAC since we will be racing at Milan on Tues.

lata
John
2008 Caliber SRT4....13.80@103

My96z
06-22-2008, 10:34 AM
What price range are they running in? Havent seen any at the dealers here.

BTW SILVER is the fastest color! :D

sherm1123
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
What price range are they running in? Havent seen any at the dealers here.

BTW SILVER is the fastest color! :D

I got mine for $21,200. That was with no options. You CAN spend up to $28,000, depending on how many bells and whistles you desire. A nicely equiped 2008 can be found for under $25,000, or if you like blue you can order a 2009.

contraption22
06-25-2008, 11:43 PM
I must say I am thoroughly impressed with what the SRT guys were able to accomplish with their testbed car at Waterford Hills. Unfortunately nobody was running a production version Caliber to compare.

sherm1123
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I must say I am thoroughly impressed with what the SRT guys were able to accomplish with their testbed car at Waterford Hills. Unfortunately nobody was running a production version Caliber to compare.

How was theirs modified? I assume they were road racing it? One of the guys on the caliber forums posted photos from some of the road racing he has been doing, including a second place finish in a open car competition. The CSRT's are designed to be fast in a straight line AND around the twisties.

cordes
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
How was theirs modified? I assume they were road racing it? One of the guys on the caliber forums posted photos from some of the road racing he has been doing, including a second place finish in a open car competition. The CSRT's are designed to be fast in a straight line AND around the twisties.

700in.lb springs on the front with coilovers. Bigger bars front and rear along with some other tuning.

contraption22
06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
700in.lb springs on the front with coilovers. Bigger bars front and rear along with some other tuning.

It also appeared to have some brake upgrades as well.

2.216VTurbo
06-26-2008, 12:05 PM
"Some other tuning" is an understatement. I think the most amazing thing about that rig was they were able to keep it 'stock appearing'. When you have access to all the factory toys, anything is possible:eyebrows:. While Mike Stimac was tossing me around in the passenger seat of his Masi Daytona, I thought we were gonna get around the CSRT in a hurry, Mike had to actually work at it:clap:

I hope they take it to the Gingerman Raceway Shelby event in July that Robert Lane from Team Shelby told us about. I think there will be some suprised TS members at that track:evil:

sherm1123
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
"Some other tuning" is an understatement. I think the most amazing thing about that rig was they were able to keep it 'stock appearing'. When you have access to all the factory toys, anything is possible:eyebrows:. While Mike Stimac was tossing me around in the passenger seat of his Masi Daytona, I thought we were gonna get around the CSRT in a hurry, Mike had to actually work at it:clap:

I hope they take it to the Gingerman Raceway Shelby event in July that Robert Lane from Team Shelby told us about. I think there will be some suprised TS members at that track:evil:

I haven't raced mine yet, but the reviews coming back from the guys driving them at the SRT Track expierence has been very positive. I have been saying for awhile, to just wait until you get to see these cars in action before you pass judgement. The more they race- both drag and Xcross- the more you will see what they are capable of.

sherm1123
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
It also appeared to have some brake upgrades as well.

So you guys don't know what actual upgrades were done? The stock brakes are the 13" highway patrol setup off of the Charger. I'm guessing the reason that the car looked stock, is that it probably was. There really isn't much you could do that hasn't already been done by the SRT team from the factory. As I stated above, one "regular guy" is racing his stock CSRT and beating Corvettes, Porches, WRX's, etc in autocross events. He says the more you throw at the car, the better it handles.

mcsvt
06-26-2008, 02:40 PM
So you guys don't know what actual upgrades were done? The stock brakes are the 13" highway patrol setup off of the Charger. I'm guessing the reason that the car looked stock, is that it probably was. There really isn't much you could do that hasn't already been done by the SRT team from the factory. As I stated above, one "regular guy" is racing his stock CSRT and beating Corvettes, Porches, WRX's, etc in autocross events. He says the more you throw at the car, the better it handles.

It was definitely NOT stock.

contraption22
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

As stated above, this was an SRT engineering mule. The car was equipped with parts that may or may not make it into the Mopar Performance catalog. Visible differences from stock were lightweight wheels and race tires, upgraded brakes. I do not know what was done to it powetrain wise, but I could pull away from it eaisily in the straights. It was however able to outbrake and outcorner me. I was on all-seasons. Never do that again!

A friend of mine races his stock Subaru Legacy non-turbo and is able to beat Porsches, Vettes, and WRX's. Autocross is more about driver skill than setup, untill you get really really into it. Tell the "regular guy" he is not giving himself enough credit.

sdac guy
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
That is a totally stock pass. I've got some work to do to figure out how to take control of this thing. I can tell you it didn't feel like 280HP. It was really smooth and after driving it around a little I didn't expect to even hit 250. I was a Caliber SRT/4 fan before SDAC18 and really am now after riding with Erich Heushele around Waterford Hills for 3-4 laps.

He is the lead developer/engineer for the car and some things he told me during those laps. Very nearly all of them, will put out close to 300hp (crank). They wanted to advertise them as a 300 hp new car, but the car doesn't feel like a 300hp car when compared to other cars with that rating. The reason is the torque management (according to Erich). In 1st & 2nd gears, t-m is in force and limits torque so the wheel spin is kept to a minimum. But once it hits 3rd, then it plants you in the seat with it's full power.

Since it was apparent he was on the verge of losing traction at every corner all the way around the track (tires growling but not quite breaking loose completely), I asked about the electronic limited slip vs. a quaife. He said he fought for the quaife to be in the car, but then found it just didn't work right in it. He said the quaife just wasn't what he felt the car needed, and they could not get it balanced at all (inside tires kept unloading). He said with the bigger brakes needed for the VLI to work, the car is a much more balanced package, AND the VLI does work as it should. I thought that much was obvious during my ride.

One other observation to make here. The long standing record of hp per cubic inch belonging to the T-III motors is history (the car sold with the highest hp per c.i.). I don't know what the c.i. is for a 2.4, but if using the liters instead of inches, the T-III made 101.8 hp per liter while the SRT/4 Caliber makes 118.75 hp per liter.

Barry

contraption22
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I was a Caliber SRT/4 fan before SDAC18 and really am now after riding with Erich Heushele around Waterford Hills for 3-4 laps.

He is the lead developer/engineer for the car and some things he told me during those laps. Very nearly all of them, will put out close to 300hp (crank). They wanted to advertise them as a 300 hp new car, but the car doesn't feel like a 300hp car when compared to other cars with that rating. The reason is the torque management (according to Erich). In 1st & 2nd gears, t-m is in force and limits torque so the wheel spin is kept to a minimum. But once it hits 3rd, then it plants you in the seat with it's full power.

Since it was apparent he was on the verge of losing traction at every corner all the way around the track (tires growling but not quite breaking loose completely), I asked about the electronic limited slip vs. a quaife. He said he fought for the quaife to be in the car, but then found it just didn't work right in it. He said the quaife just wasn't what he felt the car needed, and they could not get it balanced at all (inside tires kept unloading). He said with the bigger brakes needed for the VLI to work, the car is a much more balanced package, AND the VLI does work as it should. I thought that much was obvious during my ride.

One other observation to make here. The long standing record of hp per cubic inch belonging to the T-III motors is history (the car sold with the highest hp pc.i.). I don't know what the c.i. is for a 2.4, but if using the liters instead of inches, the T-III made 101.8 hp per liter while the SRT/4 Caliber makes 118.75 hp per liter.

Barry

Tim Pettijon and I were talking about this on Monday night after the road course. That people would be posting on the internet how awesome this Caliber was that was witnessed at Waterford Hills, and that people would rush right out and buy one based on that, only to be disappointed when they drive the real thing.

cordes
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Tim Pettijon and I were talking about this on Monday night after the road course. That people would be posting on the internet how awesome this Caliber was that was witnessed at Waterford Hills, and that people would rush right out and buy one based on that, only to be disappointed when they drive the real thing.

I was half way to the dealership until I was privy to the mods.

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I was a Caliber SRT/4 fan before SDAC18 and really am now after riding with Erich Heushele around Waterford Hills for 3-4 laps.

One other observation to make here. The long standing record of hp per cubic inch belonging to the T-III motors is history (the car sold with the highest hp per c.i.). I don't know what the c.i. is for a 2.4, but if using the liters instead of inches, the T-III made 101.8 hp per liter while the SRT/4 Caliber makes 118.75 hp per liter.

Barry

Barry,
Great info! Thanks for sharing!
Sherman

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:31 AM

Why do you think they would be dissappointed?

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I was half way to the dealership until I was privy to the mods.

If mods are what you want, they are available. I can tell you that the car is a blast to drive without anything added.

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Barry

In regards to SDAC18- did any of the guys drag their CSRT's? I thought there were going to be a couple there but hadn't heard anything about that.

contraption22
06-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Why do you think they would be dissappointed?

They'll only be dissapointed if they are expecting the monster that we witnessed at Waterford Hills.

contraption22
06-27-2008, 10:35 AM
In regards to SDAC18- did any of the guys drag their CSRT's? I thought there were going to be a couple there but hadn't heard anything about that.

There was one modified one running low 14's and I think one pass in the high 13's.

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
They'll only be dissapointed if they are expecting the monster that we witnessed at Waterford Hills.

Ahhh, yes I can see that happening.

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
There was one modified one running low 14's and I think one pass in the high 13's.

Good times. Do you know what mods he had. The one guy who said he was going only had aftermarket exhaust I believe. What color was it? James didn't race his?

JamesL
06-27-2008, 10:47 AM

He wouldn't give up very much information as he tried to convince me it was stock. I think I saw a 13.89 as its best pass and the track was slippery. However on another forum he posts on, I beleive it is him stating that he has Realtunes stage one kit on the car. This amounts to a map clamp, a piggy back fuel contoller, a modified downpipe and some plugs. I would love to have seen what the one at the road coarse would run in the qtr. The ride I took really impressed me.

contraption22
06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
The one I saw racing was Black. The only mods i know of were the exhaust as you had stated.

The Lindsay's did not race theirs.

JamesL
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
The one I saw racing was Black. The only mods i know of were the exhaust as you had stated.

The Lindsay's did not race theirs.

After some more pressing, he did tell me it had a stage one kit on it. I told him I wasn't aware that Mopar put out a stage one yet he said it was the Real Tune stage one.

I kind of regret not racing ours. I kept telling myself that I had to drive the thing home 1500 miles. What can I say? No guts no glory. That trip home starts tomorrow at 0530.

sherm1123
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
After some more pressing, he did tell me it had a stage one kit on it. I told him I wasn't aware that Mopar put out a stage one yet he said it was the Real Tune stage one.

I kind of regret not racing ours. I kept telling myself that I had to drive the thing home 1500 miles. What can I say? No guts no glory. That trip home starts tomorrow at 0530.

I certainly understand!

sdac guy
06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
The coilover setup on Erich's car at Waterford made it extremely stiff. It bounced off the curbs. He apologized for that saying that the stock setup would handle just as well but be much more compliant (softer ride).

I asked him about engine or calibration mods and he said it had none, but he told someone else it was modified.

Barry

cordes
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
If mods are what you want, they are available. I can tell you that the car is a blast to drive without anything added.

No, the mods on the factory car aren't available to the public yet with the exception of the coilovers from what I understand.

sherm1123
06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
No, the mods on the factory car aren't available to the public yet with the exception of the coilovers from what I understand.

Not from mother MOPAR yet, but there are many places selling anything your heart desires in the way of aftermarket add ons for performance and handling. I think there was even a dealer at SDAC selling some stuff.

ShelbyZ
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I had the Black CSRT4 at Milan dragway during SDAC18, best run that day was a 13.73@103, worst was a 14.2 spinning all thru first gear, ooops. Only true mod is an Exhaust Depot 3" downpipe with NO cats which just replaces the stock unit that has 2 cats. That pipe is connected to the stock cat back exhaust with stock muffler.
There is no realtune flash, map trick or anything done by Aaron. BUT I do have the boost incresed 1-2lbs per gear via an "inside" flash. That is all folks !

John

Johnny
07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
What is "stock" boost?

Johnny
PolyBushings.com

sherm1123
07-06-2008, 11:20 AM
What is "stock" boost?

Johnny
PolyBushings.com

The cars are boost restricted from the factory, so it varies between cars. I would say the average max, stock, is 8-12psi, and those are just spikes. That is one of the biggest stock/factory bottlenecks to really opening these cars up.

sherm1123
07-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I had the Black CSRT4 at Milan dragway during SDAC18, best run that day was a 13.73@103, worst was a 14.2 spinning all thru first gear, ooops. Only true mod is an Exhaust Depot 3" downpipe with NO cats which just replaces the stock unit that has 2 cats. That pipe is connected to the stock cat back exhaust with stock muffler.
There is no realtune flash, map trick or anything done by Aaron. BUT I do have the boost incresed 1-2lbs per gear via an "inside" flash. That is all folks !

John

John,
Explain the inside flash.
Thanks,
Sherman

2.216VTurbo
07-07-2008, 12:07 AM

John

Hmm, you raced a bottle fed Caddy in the bracket race, what happened on that run;)?

GreaseMonkey
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I just joined the site, also own a black Caliber SRT-4 (black is best) so I can also assist with the Q&A.

sherm1123
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I just joined the site, also own a black Caliber SRT-4 (black is best) so I can also assist with the Q&A.

Glad to see you GreaseMonkey! This bunch is a pretty tough crowd, but they are coming along...

GreaseMonkey
07-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Glad to see you GreaseMonkey! This bunch is a pretty tough crowd, but they are coming along...

Well, as long as I don't get banned from this forum like I did at caliberforumz.com. Bunch of retards over there thinking electric superchargers work and all their other BS.

I stirred the pot too much calling the idiots out. I didn't get violent or nasty, but apparently logic and reason escape them.

88_pacifica
07-09-2008, 05:11 PM
.... Bunch of retards over there thinking electric superchargers work and all their other BS....

Are you serious?? Since when don't they work? Those are great power adders when used in combination with a Tornado for gas mileage... :nod:

GreaseMonkey
07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Are you serious?? Since when don't they work? Those are great power adders when used in combination with a Tornado for gas mileage... :nod:

:lol:

I tried convincing them that air flowing and pressurized air are two different things and Newton's 1st law of energy, I get replies with YouTube videos showing gas powered leaf blowers adding 20 HP on a dyno.

Turbodave
07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, as long as I don't get banned from this forum like I did at caliberforumz.com. Bunch of retards over there thinking electric superchargers work and all their other BS.

I stirred the pot too much calling the idiots out. I didn't get violent or nasty, but apparently logic and reason escape them.

I don't think you have to be worried about anyone here being intimidated by logic and reason :D

We've been electric supercharger free since 2005...

Met a guy recently with a Caliber SXT 2.0 CVT telling me how he planned on turboing it (I had asked about his a/f gauge), he was going to intercool it first though, because that would give him a few hp until he could afford a turbo:rolleyes:

overlordsshadow
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Wow, honestly. Where do these people find them people to sell them parts (interwebs I guess)? Are they installing these things themselves or are there some mechs somewhere rolling around in piles of money laughing away.......

GreaseMonkey
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Letting a sucker keep his money is a crime, but man people are so damn gullible.

JamesL
07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
John,
Explain the inside flash.
Thanks,
Sherman

I'd like to hear the explanation of this as well. Does someone have an insiude connection at Chrysler? Even if you had an interface into the Siemens PCM, you'd have to know the program layout. Its not nice to tease.

dodgeshadowchik
07-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Met a guy recently with a Caliber SXT 2.0 CVT telling me how he planned on turboing it (I had asked about his a/f gauge), he was going to intercool it first though, because that would give him a few hp until he could afford a turbo:rolleyes:

Amazing. :lol: I wouldn't even know how to respond to a comment like that.

BadAssPerformance
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
LOL, too funny!

overlordsshadow
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Ha, my buddy last night was trying to tell me something came from the factory intercooled but not turboed, but turbo was optional.

cordes
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Ha, my buddy last night was trying to tell me something came from the factory intercooled but not turboed, but turbo was optional.

I know that's an option on all the 08' Yugos.

overlordsshadow
07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
You are not serious are you, is a Yugo a car?

88_pacifica
07-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Uhhhh....yeah. They just released their first debut in '07. It's an import. Where have you been? :confused:

cordes
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM

No, I'm not serious. I guess I must be at least a year or two older than you. If it weren't for the movie dragnet and a yahoo collecting the convertibles in my area while always advertising them for sale at ridiculous prices I would have no idea either.

Uhhhh....yeah. They just released their first debut in '07. It's an import. Where have you been? :confused:

I haven't read that this actually happened. Do you have a link?

88_pacifica
07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I haven't read that this actually happened. Do you have a link?

Not off of the top of my head, but if you find it lmk.... :nod: ;)

kensz
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't know if this is still active but here goes. I drove a new CSRT a couple of weeks ago and the power delivery was very uneven. If I barely hit the gas it jumped and when I took my foot off the gas it almost seemed like I downshifted. Then later in the test drive I tried to accelerate and it almost seemed to bog down, I'm not talking about tubo lag but a lack of response. Does any of this seem normal or was the one I test drove having problems. The salesman told me it was normal but I find that hard to believe.

Aries_Turbo
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
i would think the csrt would be pretty smooth. the one i rode in was but it was modded... by the factory but it wasnt stock.

brian

contraption22
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Don't know if this is still active but here goes. I drove a new CSRT a couple of weeks ago and the power delivery was very uneven. If I barely hit the gas it jumped and when I took my foot off the gas it almost seemed like I downshifted. Then later in the test drive I tried to accelerate and it almost seemed to bog down, I'm not talking about tubo lag but a lack of response. Does any of this seem normal or was the one I test drove having problems. The salesman told me it was normal but I find that hard to believe.

I think there was probably an issue with the one you rode in. Was it sitting on the dealership lot? Perhaps some Dbag put regular gas in it?

cordes
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Perhaps some Dbag put regular gas in it?

That was my first thought too.

sherm1123
08-19-2008, 12:10 PM

First, if possible, I would test drive another car to see if it feels different. The CSRT's do take a bit to get used to, both with shifting and with throttle response. Two things that may be causing the issue you described would be the spark plugs having crazy gapping, which has been an isuue with may of the cars from the factory. The other would be the boost restriction in the first two gears from the factory. If you don't keep the RPM's up in 1st and 2nd, the car will bogg. The Stage 1 kit is supposed to take care of that and should be announced very soon. :)

Good luck in your car search! Let us know if you have any more question.