PDA

View Full Version : lancer fuel pump

kuzman83
05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
has anyone changed a pump on a lancer and do you have any tips for me. I took a look at the tank and it looks like i can change the pump without dropping the tank. any suggestions and help would be appreciated. its a walbro 255 l/h

tryingbe
05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Cut the oil fuel hoses and buy new ones.

1/4 inch and 5/16 inch fuel injection hoses.
Replace the fuel filter and hoses as well, if they are not recently changed.
Replace the rubber fuel hoses under the hood, if you haven't done them in a while.

WickedShelby88
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
I was looking at that too yesterday. I think you just have to lower the tank a little bit, but not drop it. The lancers seem to be much easier access than some.

mcsvt
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I replaced the pump in my SL. It's really easy. I don't think I even had the car off the ground...

Removing the rusted lock ring was the hardest part.
It comes straight out, then you have to angle it a bit to clear the sock on the end.

:thumb:

kuzman83
05-01-2008, 04:05 PM
what kind of pump did you replace it with, my pump looks significantly different than the walbro and i'm getting somewhat confused with the directions...

mcsvt
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I replaced mine with a known working one from another Lancer, hanger and all.

But I took the hanger and pump that I removed and put a walbro on it. I have just yet to install it since the car doesn't get driven...

iTurbo
05-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I put a Walbro 255 ltr/hr pump in my Shelby Lancer. It was a LOT different looking than the stock '87 pump, but the included parts in the pump kit made it easy to retrofit. I did have to eliminate the dampener from the stock setup because it attached to the stock pump using a banjo fitting that could not be made to work with the Walbro. But the car runs great without it anyway, so no biggie.

You shouldn't have to remove the tank, but I would anyway just to see the condition and clean it out really well. Before you attempt removing the straps, spray the studs with PB Blaster or WD40 well ahead of time. It really sucks when they break!!

kuzman83
05-02-2008, 12:25 AM
got the pump installed with no leaks and the car runs, mission accomplished.

kuzman83
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
one more question, when the car is running the pump is much louder than the stock unit, is this normal?