PDA

View Full Version : is my SRT supposed to run so hot?

spoolinhard
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok, heres the story. Really just drove my SRT for the longest Ive ever driven it today. I bought it from a salvage auction and rebuilt it. On the way to inspection the car started getting hot, it hovered around half most of the time, when I got to the DMV it was 3/4. After inspection I pulled out of the parking lot and within a block is was FULLY Hot. Steam even started coming out of the A/C vents. I Immediatly pulled over, opened my hood to find that my radiator cap was not tight(insert jokes here, but mind you I have NEVER messed with the cap since Ive owned the car) I did not drive the car for more than five miles at 1/2 to 3/4 hot. Get it all filled back up, cap on tight, go to go home and it is still running 1/2 hot. I go to Oriellys get a thermostat, take the old one out, see a worn spot on one side, then I put the new one in. I thought I had it fixed. I go to drive it, and it still runs half hot. There are NO leaks, there was NO dammage to the cooling system. The only thing that I can see is that the alternator belt is stretched and the car squeels like a pig. COuld it be slipping enough for it to run half hot or do these things normally run that hot? From completely cool it does not take that long to reach the 1/2 mark. I really dont see what else it could be. There is plenty of oil in it, the fluids are full, and there are no leaks. Any ideas?

supercrackerbox
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey, you're having cooling issues? ME TOO! :)

If I'm not mistaken, the water pump on the 2.4 is run off the timing belt, so I don't think the alternator belt would be related.

But that's all I have for you. :(

GLHNSLHT2
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
most new cars run half way. My g/f's liberty sits at half all the time. Try some Redline Water wetter. It helped for me a bit.

mpboost
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
1/2 hot = 200-210*F??????

Do you mean half way up on the gauge? If you replaced the stock thermostat with same temp one then yes that is normal. Stock thermostat opens at 195*F. I forget when the fan turns on but I want to say 215*F. When I had the stock themostat I typically saw temps in the 200-220*F range.

For the past 2yrs I have run a 180*F thermostat with a small bleed hole drilled into it. My car runs at about 185*F when it is warmed up and the radiator has air moving across it. My fan rarely comes on unless I am running the A/C and then it comes on automatically even when the temp is low.

Keito
05-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Did you burp the cooling system?
I had to do this last weekend after my turbo install.
Put a wrench on the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing and put a hose on it too.
Run the car till it warms up and open the bleeder
screw and get the air out.
It has to be bled just like the brakes.

rich tideswell
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
ditto on burping the system

are your fans coming on?

yes, the water pump is driven off the timing belt

glhs875
05-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Halway is normal on these cars. I tried a 180deg themo on my wifes SRT4, with what turned out to be, a too large of a bleed hole. It set a CEL that said the engine was running too cold! I now have a 180deg with no bleed. Everything is good! May try a smaller bleed hole with the 180 in the future.

contraption22
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Mine runs usually about halfway up the guage. Just below the 210 mark if I am right. Thats about normal I think..

spoolinhard
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks. it seems to be staying there now, so im glad thats normal.

supercrackerbox
05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
What, you guys get numbers on your gauges? Luckyyyy! ;)

SwinginACR
08-08-2008, 12:11 AM
1/2 hot = 200-210*F??????

Do you mean half way up on the gauge? If you replaced the stock thermostat with same temp one then yes that is normal. Stock thermostat opens at 195*F. I forget when the fan turns on but I want to say 215*F. When I had the stock themostat I typically saw temps in the 200-220*F range.

For the past 2yrs I have run a 180*F thermostat with a small bleed hole drilled into it. My car runs at about 185*F when it is warmed up and the radiator has air moving across it. My fan rarely comes on unless I am running the A/C and then it comes on automatically even when the temp is low.

Halway is normal on these cars. I tried a 180deg themo on my wifes SRT4, with what turned out to be, a too large of a bleed hole. It set a CEL that said the engine was running too cold! I now have a 180deg with no bleed. Everything is good! May try a smaller bleed hole with the 180 in the future.

Whats this bleed hole you guys are talking about, I never had issues with the temps getting that hot so I never messed with mine. Might be something for the future though.

Keito
08-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Whats this bleed hole you guys are talking about, I never had issues with the temps getting that hot so I never messed with mine. Might be something for the future though.

Its not a bleed hole, its a bleeder screw just like on a caliper.
It's located on the thermostat housing, where the radiator hose
attaches to the motor.
The screw is gold in color.
I think I use an 3/8" ignition wrench, put the box end on the screw.
Take a piece of 1/4" hose and push it on the bleeder screw.
Warm the car up and crack it open a few times.
I think I'll take pics today and post them.

Guys, my car NEVER gets above 200.
I am suprised that yours run so hot.

mpboost
08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Its not a bleed hole
There is some confusion here, we are talking about two different things.

You are talking about the bleeder valve used to purge air from the system.

The bleed hole I mentioned is a small hole drilled in the thermostat to allow coolant to bleed through even when the thermostat is closed. It reduces the thermal shock to the system that would normally happen when the thermostat opens by allowing a slow continuous flow of coolant all the time.

Keito
08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Reading ownz me.
Didn't realize people were using bleed holes in SRT-4s

bgbmxer
08-10-2008, 12:04 PM
use a bleed hole in everything. some T stats come with it already others dont