PDA

View Full Version : It lives! Sort of - bad gas?

ShelGame
04-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Ok, I got the R/T all buttoned back up (oh, and you guys should've told me that the knock sensor goes on the HEAD, not the intake - what a pain that was...). Started right up again; so, I pull out of the garage for a shakedown aorund the block. The brake rotors are really rusty from sitting for so long. The power steering pump is making all kinds of noise; until I steer it left-right left to pump the air out of it. So, around the block I go. Everything seems fine except for the 2 above items. I get to the stop sign 2 houses from my drive way and it dies coming to a stop. Hmm, go to re-start - some fire but not enought to get it started. Kind of like vapor lock. But, it hasn't been running long enough for that. OK, pop the hood and have a look around. Can't see any problems, no loose vac lines or anything. Hmm, check codes - 12 and 55; nothing there. Go to start it up again, and it starts right up. Pull it around to the driveway, and it dies again coming to a stop. Starts right back up this time, so I let it idle for a minute. It has a couple of misfires, sounds like it wants to die, then catches and idles normally. I turn it off and check codes again - still nothing.

Now, until tonight, the car has been sitting since May '07. I ordered new (stock) injectors, but they haven't arrived yet. I also plan to swap out the fuel filter since I have no idea when it was changed last. But, I'm thinking this misfire/dying thing could be just bad/old gas or water in the gas. It's only got a 1/2 tank, so I may just go fill it up with premium and run that thru.

Any other opinions?

Birddog
04-30-2008, 01:30 AM
Not that it helps but it sounds like the older Ford TFI issues.. Could be bad fuel but it wouldn't correct itself that easily??

Turbo224
04-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Not sure if bad gas would do that. I have fired cars up with gas a lot older than that with out any problems. It does sound like a fuel issue. Possibly a dying fuel pump, or maybe a clogged fuel filter.

WickedShelby88
04-30-2008, 03:46 AM
my daytona did something similar till the FP died, however the HEP on the 89 GTC i had did that too, but you've got an RT so it doesn't have one of those... check the connections at your cam and crank sensors too.

ShelGame
04-30-2008, 07:36 AM
OK, I'll plug the FP Guage into the rail tonight and see what I get...

I was actually thinking more like water in the gas would do this. Bad gas, maybe not so much...

Turbo224
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I guess water in the gas could do that.

DaveSkrab
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Water in Gas + time sitting = rusted fuel tank. plugged fuel pickup and plugged fuel filter. Oh, and wasted fuel pump!
That was the source of my resurrection problems. Granted my car sat for about 8 years with about 1/3 tank in it.

So, I'd DEF. pull the fuel filter and cut it open see how much rust is in there. OR less scientific, pull the filter and see what drains out of it and how heavy it is after you can't get anymore fuel to drain from it.

Good Luck!

mcsvt
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
The SL I bought was sitting for about 4 years... Replaced the FP and it's still running on 4+ year old gas... I've taken it down the road and around the block a couple times, always starts right up too.

I'm thinking the pressure check would be good.

ShelGame
05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, I put 3 more miles on it last night (just driving around the block - no plate or insurance on it yet), and there were no more signs of the stalling/hesitating issue. I think it was probably just water/air in the gas and probably a little bit the computer still re-learning. The battery was disconnected for nearly a year.

Seems to run good. Gets into boost pretty quick. At part throttle it feels great. Never went WOT (the rings are brand new as is the hone job) but at any mroe than 50% throttle it boosted so fast that it hit overboost. Probably still the WG adaptive re-learning. I get the same thing in the Daytona after I flash a new cal.

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Probably IAC relearning or dirty.

I would order some +20's, that way, you can add more boost without leaning out, :thumb:

Turbo3Iroc
05-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Stock injectors are good for 14 psi, maybe 1 or 2 more.

turbovanmanČ
05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Stock injectors are good for 14 psi, maybe 1 or 2 more.

14 psi, meh, lightweights, lol! :confused:

Turbo3Iroc
05-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Any more than that is not worth while in my mind with a stock cooler. Even with a front mount I wouldn't recommend more than 16-18. Most stock turbos barely hold that to redline though it will peak out at 22 or so, it's a narrow power band.

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Any more than that is not worth while in my mind with a stock cooler. Even with a front mount I wouldn't recommend more than 16-18. Most stock turbos barely hold that to redline though it will peak out at 22 or so, it's a narrow power band.

I understand but like all TM'ers, he will be upgrading later, so why spend the money on stockers when he will need +20's later. Thats all I am saying, :nod:

Turbo3Iroc
05-03-2008, 11:47 PM
He already has stock injectors.

glht_omni
05-04-2008, 01:02 AM
methanol changes all your intercooler worries.

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2008, 01:06 AM
He already has stock injectors.

He SAID he's buying NEW stock injectors.

Turbo3Iroc
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I ordered new (stock) injectors, but they haven't arrived yet.

I don't see buying there when something is already bought.

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't see buying there when something is already bought.

Ok, do I really need to spell this out? WHY BUY STOCK INJECTORS WHEN FOR THE SAME MONEY, YOU CAN BUY +20'S WHICH YOU WILL NEED IF YOU PLAN ON UPGRADING LATER ON, WHICH AS WE ALL KNOW, WILL HAPPEN.

Is that clear enough? :confused:

mcsvt
05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Ok, do I really need to spell this out? WHY BUY STOCK INJECTORS WHEN FOR THE SAME MONEY, YOU CAN BUY +20'S WHICH YOU WILL NEED IF YOU PLAN ON UPGRADING LATER ON, WHICH AS WE ALL KNOW, WILL HAPPEN.

Is that clear enough? :confused:

And I think you're missing the point that Rob has ALREADY bought them...

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
And I think you're missing the point that Rob has ALREADY bought them...

I got it, am I saying he should have bought +20's? why is this so difficult to understand.

mcsvt
05-04-2008, 03:02 PM
ha, I don't think anybody is faulting your logic...

Rob, any updates?

ShelGame
05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, it runs and drives fine. Didn't I post that a couple days ago? If not, then the 'bad gas' seems to have gone away. I'm thinking it was water or something in the system that just took a few minutes of running to get worked thru. I'm atill going to install the new injectors and change the fuel filter, just for piece of mind.

I don't plan to mod this car at all. Maybe up the boost to 14psi, but that's it.