PDA

View Full Version : Willem programmer on 1990 SBEC- No Start -- PLEASE HELP

Swart
04-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I just recently took my '90 SBEC computer and installed a ZIF socket on the board in place of the original 87c257 chip. Purchased the dual power willem programmer, and set the dip switches to the settings that Willem says to use for the 27c256.

The willem programming software says that the cal flashes okay. I can also read the chip fine when I put it back into the willem programmer. I plug the chip into the car, key on, and I get no ASD function, but it will flash codes. I know that the wiring is good because I tried a stock SBEC and ASD works fine. I bought another SBEC and socketed it too and am having the same results. I really don't think that either SBEC is bad as a result of my work. I am a very competent electrical engineer and doing this kind of socketing chip work is a piece of cake. I was *VERY* careful in removing the potting compound from the board on the chip area, and soldering, and I also verified that the solder joints were all good with an ohmmeter.

Will the SBEC still spit out and (flash check engine light) codes with an improperly flashed chip? I still think that there is some kind of minor setting that I am missing in order for this to work correctly.

Any ideas to help me get this car started???? PLEASE help!

Thank you in advance,
Chuck

risen
04-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Just to make sure, you are actually flashing an 87c257 chip and not a 27c256, correct? I'm pretty sure that you can't interchange the 2 types of chip due to an address latch on the 87c style chip. If so, you're sure you have the chip oriented correctly in the ZIF?

If the SBEC can't read the software off the chip, it has no idea how to flash codes at you and won't have any idea how to cycle the ASD.

2.216VTurbo
04-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Couple years agao I didn't know about the 'notch' on the chip and had installed one 'backwards' it was a no start deal that way:o

You know I have a stock SBEC or two if you want to drive down here and get it:) to try or whatever...

risen
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I've put them in backwards a couple times too. That's why I put the handle on my ZIF by pin 1, and make sure the notch is nearest the handle. But every now and again, I'll be in a hurry (usually in parking lots, lol) and pop one in backwards.

Swart
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm sure that the chip is oriented correctly; as I can see the "1" trace on the board.

So you are saying if the chip isn't flashed correctly, it won't be able to 'flash' check engine codes at me? It is doing that, but I get no ASD function.

Might have to make that trip Alan, but I know that the wiring and everything is good, I just can't get these socketed SBECs to work right for some reason... I still believe that it's something I'm flashing wrong

risen
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm sure that the chip is oriented correctly; as I can see the "1" trace on the board.

So you are saying if the chip isn't flashed correctly, it won't be able to 'flash' check engine codes at me? It is doing that, but I get no ASD function.

Might have to make that trip Alan, but I know that the wiring and everything is good, I just can't get these socketed SBECs to work right for some reason... I still believe that it's something I'm flashing wrong

Usually if the chip is written incorrectly it won't be able to flash the CEL. This is because the instructions on how to flash the CEL are on the chip you replaced. Maybe try and write a factory cal on one of the chips and see if that works. That way you'll know if it's your burning the cal that's bad or not.

Swart
04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok, I'll see if I can find a stock .BIN file to try and flash onto the chip again. Thank you for the advice.

Does anyone else have any more information that could possibly help?? Bueller? :)

Swart
04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
So I tried flashing the chips with the stock 90 MP T1 auto and manual cals that risen provided (THANK YOU), and I have intermittent ASD function;

The ASD will work correctly for 2-3 key cycles (fuel pump primes), and then it won't work any longer. If I remove one chip and disconnect the battery and then install the other chip, then hook the battery back up, I will get the same results.

Any ideas??? I'm very confused at this point.

cordes
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
So I tried flashing the chips with the stock 90 MP T1 auto and manual cals that risen provided (THANK YOU), and I have intermittent ASD function;

The ASD will work correctly for 2-3 key cycles (fuel pump primes), and then it won't work any longer. If I remove one chip and disconnect the battery and then install the other chip, then hook the battery back up, I will get the same results.

Any ideas??? I'm very confused at this point.

Will the car not start? My shadow will only prime the pump a couple times in a row before it won't do it anymore, and you have to wait for a bit. Sounds like you are doing everything right thus far. I have the enhanced burner, and it works fine for me.

Swart
04-30-2008, 11:26 PM
OK!! I got it to start up finally! Like cordes said, it would only prime about 3 times in a row before it wouldn't do it anymore. I tried the stock 90 MP T1 cal again that flashed correctly, and it worked. :)
Thank you to all who helped!! Where's the donation for the beer $$ ..? ;)

risen
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Did you get your custom cal to work too, or just the factory one?

2.216VTurbo
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
So we see the super secret P body project at tonight's meeting then:eyebrows:??

Swart
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Did you get your custom cal to work too, or just the factory one?

I got both to work :)