PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold to turbo gasket?

azkcar135
04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
i have my head off right now and for the second time there's a small exhaust leak leaving soot on my intake manifold. i've never had to put a gasket there and i'm thinking i should. but what type? i know i would have to make my own. will a cork gasket handle the heat? i'm thinking of doing one from a cereal box, will it burn? thanks

BadAssPerformance
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Use a thin layer of high temp RTV such as Permatex Ultra Copper (http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm)

http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/81878.jpg

azkcar135
04-27-2008, 09:27 PM
i was thinking of that but, i was concerned about the excess getting into the turbo. i guess a thin layer on the out side would help.

iangoround
04-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I use a thin smearing of high temp axle/wheel bearing grease. It chars and turns in to a nice tight carbon seal.

black86glhs
04-27-2008, 11:47 PM
A good friend grabbed me a sheet of graphite gasket material from work and I used it as the gasket. We used it to seal plastic extrusion equipment....high temp and pressure.

moparfwdsleeper
04-28-2008, 05:59 AM
I use a thin smearing of high temp axle/wheel bearing grease. It chars and turns in to a nice tight carbon seal.

+1, I couldn't have said it better myself:nod:

jckrieger
07-25-2009, 02:39 PM
RTV? JT, have you ever taken a turbo off after using RTV? What does it turn into? I'm assuming the result is similar to the grease method.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2009, 03:20 PM
RTV? JT, have you ever taken a turbo off after using RTV? What does it turn into? I'm assuming the result is similar to the grease method.

It turns into, :drum: cured RTV, ;)

BadAssPerformance
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
It turns into, :drum: cured RTV, ;)

And the winner is.... LOL.. yep, pretty much, turns into cured RTV! Actually amazed the stuff lives at that high of temps but really clamped in there, it has no where to go. Also, I would like to emphasize a THIN layer should be the most used... VERY THIN.

Think about the last Chevy valvecovers you saw with orange goo pouring out of everywhere.. NOT THAT!

The flanges are flat and you could get away with nothing on them (I did for years) the thin layer of RTV or axle grease is only to add insurance to fill in any low spots

3Bar_Mopar
07-25-2009, 06:14 PM
1 more vote for bearing grease.

contraption22
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah i have gotten away with using nothing. But more recently for insurance I have been using the grease methon. Works great and the charred remains clean off easy with a wire brush when it comes time to take it apart again.

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah i have gotten away with using nothing. But more recently for insurance I have been using the grease methon. Works great and the charred remains clean off easy with a wire brush when it comes time to take it apart again.

Just don't be alarmed when you first start it and you have a smoke show, :eyebrows:

Shadow
07-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Just don't be alarmed when you first start it and you have a smoke show, :eyebrows:

That would be an example of a little too much grease!

turbovanmanČ
07-26-2009, 02:08 AM
That would be an example of a little too much grease!

Is there ever such a thing? :eyebrows:

pauly_no_van
07-26-2009, 11:53 AM
'Never Seez' is also great....
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/neverseez.htm?gclid=CLr-wLLd85sCFSMSagodFjha-w

paul

turbo84voyager
07-27-2009, 09:21 AM
As long as both surfaces are clean, bolt it together and forget about it. I have never used anything and have never had a leak. One time I did have a manifold resurfaced because it had some marks otherwise I hit it with a 3M cookie for aluminum ( this way it will not remove the metal) and throw it together. You dont need a gasket because It's cast against cast. A good example is a small block chevy. If you use a gasket it will leak down the road. Use nothing and never leaks.

Mopar318
07-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I had my manifold surfaced, and I used a thin layer of Copper RTV, and now I have a leak. Wierd, I have never had a leak with the stuff.

Im just going to hope the leak will go away.:o

Ondonti
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
copper rtv here.