PDA

View Full Version : Well, Ive popped my 'break stuff while racin' cherry.....

Clay
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Went to my first local "friday fun night" this evening. Bolted the slicks on, checked everything out, got out of the hole HARDDDDDDDDDD. Felt really good, got out about 40 feet and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVV!

No clunk, no big thud, no fire works, no spark, no, well, no nothing!

Car still running, but no matter what gear I put it in, nada.

I coasted off the track about 1/2 way down and got off on the Jr. dragster return lane, and that was that.

Im guessing it was an axle since the speedo still works (and since Mr. Reeves things it sounds like an axle).

Good thing was it doesn't appear that Ive destroyed anything! ;) (knocks on wood!)

SpoolinGLH
04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Well what was your sixty foot time? heh

Clay
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
1.89, which is off my "normal" of about 1.7x, but I dont think I made it through the 60 mark before it broke. I could be wrong, Im waiting for video.

cordes
04-26-2008, 12:02 AM
That stinks, but you were hooking a lot better a couple of weeks ago than in the fall from what it looked like to me, but what to I know...

butchsuppe
04-26-2008, 12:13 AM
I once stripped ths spline on the pass. side axle and the speedo still worked. What stripped was the halfshaft, welded the axle to it and drove it for 2yrs.

Clay
04-26-2008, 07:01 AM
my local track, for me, has always had pretty decent traction. Never had very good traction in Cinci for some reason.

the thing that sucks about this is Ive probably actually broken the intermediate shaft!

BadAssPerformance
04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Usually if the u-joint or i-shaft goes it takes the tailshaft housing off the trans :(

cordes
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Usually if the u-joint or i-shaft goes it takes the tailshaft housing off the trans :(

Fortunately for me I just stripped mine out when it went.

nBALLS
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Mine stripped out in my LeBaron GTS while a friend of mine was borrowing the car, he thought he had blown the trans, lol. When I saw the speedo still working, I was relieved and threw in a long shaft to fix the problem. :D

Clay
04-26-2008, 10:23 PM

well, Im guessing when that happens you get oil everywhere right?

No oil for me, so Ill pray Im alright!

Clay
04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Mine stripped out in my LeBaron GTS while a friend of mine was borrowing the car, he thought he had blown the trans, lol. When I saw the speedo still working, I was relieved and threw in a long shaft to fix the problem. :D

Ok, when you guys say it "stripped out" what exactly stripped out?

usually when I think something has stripped out, its a BAD thing. and if something stripped out, where does all the metal that is stripped go?!?!

overlordsshadow
04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
How could the car be running with broken or stipped ishaft?

black86glhs
04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
It will still run, just wont move.

Clay
04-26-2008, 10:48 PM
How could the car be running with broken or stipped ishaft?

intermediate axle shaft ;) not the one your thinking of :p

nBALLS
04-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Ok, when you guys say it "stripped out" what exactly stripped out?

usually when I think something has stripped out, its a BAD thing. and if something stripped out, where does all the metal that is stripped go?!?!

The axle splines are fine, but the splines that the axle go into, in the intermediate shaft, have fatigued and given way. Thus the intermediate shaft spins, and the axle doesn't, making you go nowhere. :nod:

Ondonti
04-27-2008, 03:07 AM
the thing that sucks about this is Ive probably actually broken the intermediate shaft!

What did you think was going to break?

Time to go unequal. :D

Clay
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
ahhhh ok, thanks guys! intermediate shaft FTL!!!!!!!! ;)

cordes
04-27-2008, 09:51 AM
The axle splines are fine, but the splines that the axle go into, in the intermediate shaft, have fatigued and given way. Thus the intermediate shaft spins, and the axle doesn't, making you go nowhere. :nod:

I actually stripped both of mine down to nothing. When I pulled them apart finally, (it had been clicking for a while but I nursed it along) there were no splines on the I-shaft or the axle.

mcsvt
04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Same thing happened to me about a year ago... I left the car in gear and got out to see the i-shaft spinning :) kinda funny actually. Threw in a spare equal to get by but soon changed to an unequal setup and haven't looked back.

BadAssPerformance
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
well, Im guessing when that happens you get oil everywhere right?

No oil for me, so Ill pray Im alright!

yes, trans oil... plus engine oil it it smacks the turbo oil drain :(

but if you were dry, you're ok :thumb:

nBALLS
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I actually stripped both of mine down to nothing. When I pulled them apart finally, (it had been clicking for a while but I nursed it along) there were no splines on the I-shaft or the axle.

Wow, good job! LOL

moparzrule
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Unequal FTW! :nod:

If somebody had an axle strip out at the hub I'm gonna guess somebody didn't grease the splines.

black86glhs
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Weak splines. The grease just makes it slide together better during install.

Clay
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
well, the verdict is in!

Intermediate shaft: fine!

Problem: either the outside of the passenger axle has lost its splines, or the hub is stripped out. Entire axles spins with the trans in gear, but the wheel doesn't move ;)

moparzrule
04-27-2008, 08:20 PM
The grease just makes it slide together better during install.

Not true, there's a grease seal on the axle where it meets the hub for a reason!

R/T
04-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Sounds like an easy fix, Yaaaay!!! :thumb:

Funny part was Clay called me for advice when it broke, but I was at the track racing my bike at the same time, kinda hard to hear him.... :D

black86glhs
04-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Not true, there's a grease seal on the axle where it meets the hub for a reason!
Your right on the seals, they are there. The drivetrain engineer I talked to many years ago said they were there to keep dirt and other crap from getting in, not stuff getting out. But hey, as long as it works...I'm good.:thumb:

black86glhs
04-28-2008, 01:55 AM
well, the verdict is in!

Intermediate shaft: fine!

Problem: either the outside of the passenger axle has lost its splines, or the hub is stripped out. Entire axles spins with the trans in gear, but the wheel doesn't move ;)
Apparently Clay, you get the odd breakage award!:hail:

mario03SRT
04-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I say it is the Diff.................

Clay
04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Apparently Clay, you get the odd breakage award!:hail:

hehehe, yes it would appear so.

Funny thing is, well, I guess its funny, but the hubs are the only part of the drivetrain (well, the block to) that I haven't replaced. New trans, new axles, old hubs.

still sounds like I need to go long axle though.

Clay
04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I say it is the Diff.................

thank god its not!! ;)