PDA

View Full Version : Thrush turbo muffler

lotharamc
04-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Has anyone run one of the thrush turbo mufflers? I'm looking for quiet performance, and after reading the past few discussions on the subject, I wasn't sure what I wanted.

In the past I put a Thrush turbo muffler on a Ranger with 2.9 auto just because it was cheep. It was VERY quiet. I was thinking that it would be louder with a 4cyl, but wanted to get some opinions first.

What I'm after is: pretty quiet at idle, noticable but not loud at cruise and mild acceleration, aggressive acceleration can be anything.
I carry 2 young kids in the car fairly often so I would like them to be able to fall asleep if they can/will.

Andy

turbovanmanČ
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Hard to say, a turbo muffler are full of baffles so it should be quiet on a turbo car. I know on n/a 4 cylinder cars, there loud. I think you would be fine. :nod:

tryingbe
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm going to use a dynomax quiet flow muffler myself.

Had a Thrush Turbo muffler on my Saturn, it was anything but quiet.

dr_amx
04-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I have one on my daytona 2.5 /w side exit and it has a little bark but not to bad

lotharamc
04-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Well....

N/A Saturn = "Anything but quiet"
Turbo? Daytona = "little bark but not bad"

The two comments agree assuming the turbo takes out some noise.

dr_amx, would you think a 1 yr old could fall asleep to the little bark? Is it only barky at wot, or all the time?
DR_AMX.... I have a Javelin if AMX is what I think it is, and there is no sleep to be found in that one.

tryingbe, have you heard the dynomax quiet?

Also, I forgot to mention this is on a TIII if it matters.

Andy

dr_amx
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
If you are going out the back with a full exhaust I believe that a 1yr old could fall asleep. Yes AMX is a reference to the amc product.

boost geek
04-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I run a Thrush turbo muffler out the back, not noisy at all, I like the sound.:thumb:

lotharamc
04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I think I'll get one. I won't be out much if I don't like it anyway, and I get the cool sticker.

lotharamc
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I got the new Thrush on, and its just what I wanted. Noticable but not loud.

It sounds almost exactly the same as the Dynomax that came off. I don't know which kind because the outer shell rusted off.

I ran it for a minute with just the straight pipe (no cat). I can see why you guys like it that way. The sound is great, and hearing the turbo that loud is cool.

By the way, I was kidding about the sticker.:)

Andy