PDA

View Full Version : I hate these !!!!

TurboBlue
03-04-2006, 02:33 AM
the 4 way plastic valve (that distributes coolant to heater) on many dodge vehicles are the biggest piece of crap ever. You look at those things the wrong way and they crack. Plus they are like $27 bucks to replace.

C'mon guys, there has got to be a better way.

altered7151
03-04-2006, 03:55 AM
You can just do what I did, remove your heater core all together. Heaters are for wussies anyways. ;)

deuce dodge
03-04-2006, 08:00 AM
lol no heat .way cold idea :)

go to local pik n pay and grab a few for $3 each.then you have a spare ot three.

deuce

glhs142
03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree dodge should have just spent the extra 5$ and made them out of steel or something.

5sp. mini
03-04-2006, 09:27 AM
i bet if you when to a larger truck parts store you can find a metal one .just a thought. or leave it out if you don,t run a/c. mine heater hoses run straight from the water pump and the water outlet the valve is gone. but my daytona still has it on there never seen a differant.al

turbomopar87
03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I hate that thing too.
5spmini...If i have removed my a/c i can take it off? I still want heat though...its in a Daytona. Is there someway to just remove them and by pass the hoses and still have heat?

Turbodave
03-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Just connect the two heater hoses right to the heater core, plug the vacuum line that went to the valve on enjoy your simpler, leak free engine compartment. Heat will still work fine without that valve.

The entire purpose of that valve is to divert coolant from flowing through the heater core when your running the "Max A/C" or "recirc" setting. Just helps the A/C be that much colder on those really hot days. I've run without that valve for years on my van and I really don't notice much difference, even with the A/C on. Non-A/C cars didn't even come with that valve so getting rid of it shouldn't be a concern at all.

turbomopar87
03-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Just connect the two heater hoses right to the heater core, plug the vacuum line that went to the valve on enjoy your simpler, leak free engine compartment. Heat will still work fine without that valve.

The entire purpose of that valve is to divert coolant from flowing through the heater core when your running the "Max A/C" or "recirc" setting. Just helps the A/C be that much colder on those really hot days. I've run without that valve for years on my van and I really don't notice much difference, even with the A/C on. Non-A/C cars didn't even come with that valve so getting rid of it shouldn't be a concern at all.

awesome, thats one less thing in my engine bay.

thanks
kris

Wink
03-04-2006, 02:12 PM
How many of us are actually using thier vehicle's A/C system?

That's the biggest question.

For those who don't have A/C in thier ride, just remove the damn valve like I did. Run the heater hose right to the Thermostat Housing and then to the inlet of the pump that the original hose ran to.

That valve is only there to prevent hot coolant from reaching the heater core while the A/C is in use.

Wink

5sp. mini
03-04-2006, 03:03 PM
i try to keep all my a/c working . but like dave said it only works on max. a/c and i have not notice ant differants.just plug the vac. line from it.the daytona has it way down low just in front of the intercooler so it,s not in the way. the van all the steel tubes rust out so i had to rerount them all hose. the shadow is still under const. AL

3Bar_Mopar
03-04-2006, 07:51 PM
You can just do what I did, remove your heater core all together. Heaters are for wussies anyways. ;)

OK mister Nevada :p ....I ditched the valve before I knew I could go without it, and I drove around most of this winter with NO heat....this is Indiana winter!
I remember a couple times where I had to drive with the windows cracked a little so they wouldn't fog, the temp on my overhead console was reading 15 degrees out....what a nightmare!

turbomopar87
03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
How many of us are actually using thier vehicle's A/C system?

That's the biggest question.

Wink

I took ALL my A/C stuff in my shelby Z since its more of a 'racecar' then daily driver, so its bit of wieght removed..plus...it needed to be recharged and the money i would have spent for that is now a performance upgrade.

On the other hand, my 86 turbo Z C/S still has A/C since i drive it alot, and i kept everything stock.

Kris

turbo xtc
04-30-2006, 08:32 AM
i live in indiana and on my laser when i turned on the heat no heat i changed that valve still no heat i changed the heat control switch in the dash still nothing so i unplugged the vac line going to it and now i got heat so in summer i plug it back in winter i unplug it works for me

deuce dodge
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
i pulled mine and threw it in the trash.........felt like pulling my balance shafts........

wonderful

deuce

inmyshadow
07-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I had a metal one. It was from the parts store, sourced from a minivan.

I wouldn't recommend removing the valve unless you want heat year around. My 92 Daytona IROC didn't have one of those valves. Life sucked in the summer without it. You want to blow fresh air. Without the valve, you will blow fresh HOT air.

Just remember the age of our cars. Plastic gets brittle over time. So replacing it with a new one is no biggie and expected.

I personally hate using A/C on anything but the most oppressive days.

I agree dodge should have just spent the extra 5$ and made them out of steel or something.

ottawa rogue
07-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Go to your parts store and ask to look through their Murray, Everco ect. catalogs for heating and air conditioning.
lots of metal shutoff valves in there :thumb:

daytonaturbo87
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't recommend removing the valve unless you want heat year around. My 92 Daytona IROC didn't have one of those valves. Life sucked in the summer without it. You want to blow fresh air. Without the valve, you will blow fresh HOT air.

I have to call bull on that one. My non-a/c daytona blows air just as warm/hot/cool as our minivan does when the a/c is not on.

inmyshadow
07-14-2006, 07:53 AM
You can call it all you.

I experienced it in my daytona. Nice hot air in the summer. I had the car set to defrost all all summer to avoid sweating my butt off. Made long trips in high temps really annoying. I had to deal with that for 6yrs.

So now, every turbododge after that, I made sure it had/has a heater bypass valve. I hate A/C and don't use it even if when my daytona had it.

I have to call bull on that one. My non-a/c daytona blows air just as warm/hot/cool as our minivan does when the a/c is not on.

gkcooper
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I bought a brand new Daytona in 1988. After having it for a week I drove over some railroad tracks and broke the heater valve. The factory only had about 1 1/2" of hose between the valve and the firewall. I didn't freak out, I just bought a new valve for $8 and a few extra inches of new hose. i drove the car ten years after that with no problems.

GKC

daytonaturbo87
07-17-2006, 03:12 PM
You can call it all you.

I experienced it in my daytona. Nice hot air in the summer. I had the car set to defrost all all summer to avoid sweating my butt off. Made long trips in high temps really annoying. I had to deal with that for 6yrs.

So now, every turbododge after that, I made sure it had/has a heater bypass valve. I hate A/C and don't use it even if when my daytona had it.

okay, well I'll believe what I want. Only vehicle I ever had that happen to me in was in my satellite, and I knew the problem was because the flapper door in the heater box did not have the foam seal around it anymore, causing some hot air to get into the vents. But I guess having a heater core bypass valve would also solve the problem, more of a band aid type fix though IMO, but if it works, go with it.

Lee'sdaytona
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
You can call it all you.

I too have to disagree with you. Not to say I don't beleive you, but in my daytona, it was missing. I went to a yard to get one, simply because at the time I figured it needed to be there for a reason. I installed it, than a few months later while messing with the air box I broke it. SO, to avoid all the PITA of coolent all over, I just bought plastic butt connectors and ditched the valve. In the summer, I always slid the temp control lever to cold and that would stop the heat from coming in. However if you left your lever over at hot, you could definately feel it in the summer. Maybe your cable for that lever was broken?
My minivan still has one, and I plan to leave it one there till it breaks.
Also, I forgot to plug the vac line on my daytona when I removed that valve...maybe thats why I had a bad vac reading:nod:
-Lee

Una
07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
It's not that you can't just slide it over to cool.. It's the Max AC feature.. In my Daytona, with the valve working properly, I had about a 5-10 degree drop between when that valve was flowing or not flowing into the heater core.. It just helps keep the airbox cool so that the cooled air doesn't get heated back up AT ALL.. It's noticeable.