PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock SDT muffler

Spraynlog
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I was thinking of ways to get a bit more power out of the Lebaron last weekend. Sometime soon it should get over 40 degrees and dry out a bit.:clap: I need to get ready for late night drags!:nod:

I noticed that my 5+ year old Ultraflow had rusted out. So I got a bit carried away (does that happen to anyone else when you get the sawzall out?) and chopped the muffler off and removed the entire exhaust system from the car.
I fired it up with an open downpipe...sheesh that's pretty loud.:wow1: In the enthusiasm of the moment, I figured a 2 1/2" Cherry Bomb glass pack right off the downpipe wouldn't be too bad, and just $25 is right down my alley.:dancingbana: Well....I started getting a headache from that setup in about 3 blocks. I leave for work at 5:30am on dayshift, and I don't think I would be able to hear my neighbor's 12 gauge slide racking over the Cherry Bomb.:p

So then I went looking for something freeflowing that woule be quiet enough.
Simon said a Flowmaster Series 40 sounded good on his van, but the thing is the size of a small suitcase! I looked at the size of the Edelbrock SDT, and it was considerabley smaller. A local speedshop had 4 of 'em in stock for about $5 morre than Summit listed, so I took the plunge. It is small enough to nearly fit into the cavity for the cat in the floorpan. It is also available with center inlet and outlet in 2 1/2". It seems to me like it cut the sound in half compared to the CherryBomb. No drone, even though it is dumping under the car. The sound is growing on me, I like it. Next up I'll run a couple of 90 degree bends and get it over the axle. So far, so good.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
:needpics1:

Spraynlog
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
:needpics1:I'm at work right now, so no can do. I'll try to get some up later.:o

Aries_Turbo
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
does it feel more powerful? Cherry bombs arent the best glasspack. Thrush are much better cause the internal passage is much larger.

even if you just go out the side, it will cut down alot of the noise. :)

open downpipe is terrible. i did that with my k car for a little while and it was unbearable. resonates the car like crazy.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
just looked at an internal pic of an SDT... i can see why it cuts down the noise with all those baffles and passages in there. :)

Brian

Spraynlog
04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
just looked at an internal pic of an SDT... i can see why it cuts down the noise with all those baffles and passages in there. :)

BrianIt is a 3 chamber muffler. I had a Carsounds Cat off a 2 1/2" downpipe, then neck down to 2 1/4" over the axle and out through an Ultraflow at the end.

Now I have the same downpipe, the Edelbrock SDT and some straight 2 1/2" pipe to get back to the first hanger, then a 2 1/2" downturn. I can hear the turbo whistle clearly now, and it spools quicker for sure. If it ever stops raining here, I'll do some track runs. I have a lot of old timeslips to compare.:eyebrows:

Aries_Turbo
04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah doesnt look bad but i cant see it flowing as much as a ultraflow but i could be wrong. :) im sure the 2.5" pipe helps too. :)

Brian

Spraynlog
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
yeah doesnt look bad but i cant see it flowing as much as a ultraflow but i could be wrong. :) im sure the 2.5" pipe helps too. :)

BrianHeh, I was thinking of putting the Ultraflow right onto the downpipe, but then when I removed it, I saw it had rotted out. I'm pretty sure it would have been too loud. No doubt it would outflow the three chamber Edelbrock. I live in a residential neighborhood and work rotating shifts, it's not nice to rattle windows at 5am.:amen:

GLHNSLHT2
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
It's hard to find a quiet high performance muffler. I've been looking. Hope I can live with 3" straight pipe out the back for a little bit till I can buy the muffler I want.

turbovanmanČ
04-26-2008, 12:31 AM
It's hard to find a quiet high performance muffler. I've been looking. Hope I can live with 3" straight pipe out the back for a little bit till I can buy the muffler I want.

Exactly, in this case, you can't have your cake and eat it to, :lol:

GLHNSLHT2
04-26-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't now, we're making water cooled catalytic converter housings at work for boats for a new company. When bolted to the engine they picked up 11hp and 17lb-ft of torque.

turbovanmanČ
04-26-2008, 02:48 AM
I don't now, we're making water cooled catalytic converter housings at work for boats for a new company. When bolted to the engine they picked up 11hp and 17lb-ft of torque.

Thats pretty cool, wonder how or why they picked up power.

I remember years ago, probably around the early 80's, I remember watching a techno show and they were testing an electronic muffler, basically using sound waves to cancel the exhaust noise so the car in question had a straight pipe with a cat and no muffler, with the device turned on, you couldn't hear a thing, off, cracka cracka cracka. Wonder why they never used it?

Spraynlog
04-27-2008, 03:47 AM
Well, according to the numbers, the SDT is working pretty good.

At PIR tonight, I knocked .25 off my best 1/8 mile time and picked up 1 mph. My friends in the stands watching the pass said my car was very quiet going down the track.

Vigo
04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
well the loss from all the bends is cumulative, so you could be benefitting more by not having all the turns out the back than you are losing with the 3 chamber. finishing the piping out the back will tell the tale. but so far so good! pics when possible please!