PDA

View Full Version : Rear quarter woes.

WickedShelby88
04-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Any ideas who would be able to fix this in the chicagoland area without charging an arm and a leg? I don't plan on getting it done till the end of the summer but a ball park idea would be good as I haven't really done any body work.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/JBSHELBYS/100_2613.jpg

MiniMopar
04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Might be able to push some of that out with a hydraulic kit.

WickedShelby88
04-24-2008, 01:01 PM
I thought I could probably push it out, but I'm afraid I will just put some more creases in there. I've never really had any luck popping a dent out unless its just like a slight bubble inward. The porta-power is a thought though.

1966 dart wagon
04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
a port-o power would probably be the best but if not you can try just pressing on the body line which should pop it out. if not then you have some work to do. good luck :thumb:

spoolinhard
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
a stud gun would work wonders on that.

bfarroo
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I'd bet you could easily get to if from the trunk and pop the large dent out. You'll still need to do some body work with a hammer and dolly to get it close and and little filler to finish it off and then respray the quarter. I'd be Dave or JT know someone in the area that does body work on the side.

ShadowFromHell
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Easy fix. But we warned, I did body work for a few years and If you just push that out from thew inside, you will be doing more harm then good.

Birddog
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Easy fix. But we warned, I did body work for a few years and If you just push that out from thew inside, you will be doing more harm then good.

I agree with that! There looks to be several body lines affected there on the big dent. If you can thump it out with a dead blow or rubber mallet there's still going to be a lot of smoothing to do. The wheel arch may be your biggest obstacle though..

I had one like that on Omni. It's hard to see in the pic but the gash in the door and the rust spot on the rear arch were a PITA.. I wound up welding in a patch for the arch and then smoothing it out, I might be done with the door if my guide coat comes off nice.

Clickable..
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/thumbs/DSC01185.jpg (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8504)

WickedShelby88
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM

You know I was thinking the same thing. I've got a good friend back home in indiana I may see to get an estimate. Hes done top notch work and if he can't do it he knows someone who can and get me a good rate. I was just hoping to hear about someone cheap in the chicago are so I could potentially put some money away to get it done.

89ShelbyGuy
05-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Stud gun and body filler, that will be the only way to do it...unless you can find a panel like that and cut it off and weld the good one on...i coulda helped you out but my work area is very limited now..good luck

WickedShelby88
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
I appreciate the advice and the would be offer Tom. I think I might have a rust free rear quarter lined up now. Since it would be straight it might turn out a lot better then trying to save this one and it would kill two birds with one stone by being rust free and straight. I'm not sure what to do either as it looks like the body line is altered on that side as well. The tire is an inch or so closer to the lip on the wheel well on the smashed side. I measured the shock travel and its the same from side to side so maybe the trailing arm is tweaked as well. I may get an angle guage on each wheel and check then do some more measuring. Will keep this updated until it finally gets fixed then I think I will have to post pics of before and after in my other thread.

Xtrempickup
05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
i got 2 cars in the area with rust free body parts but of course i have no lancers. too bad they will be crushed and the parts will go with.

WickedShelby88
05-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Thats the sad reality.. its like the rust free ones are the ones getting crushed more than the ones with holes... What kind of backward society do we live in.