PDA

View Full Version : GLHS vs EVO IX

2.216VTurbo
03-04-2006, 12:55 AM
At our regular SD/TD monthly meetings last night one of the regulars showed up in his nex EVO IX, at first I didn't notice it because he has been driving an EVO VIII for about a year so I just thought it was the same car:D He is a little hard on parts as he has already torched the clutch and the center diff in the VIII:o So we discussed that since we were headed home the same direction, we should maybe try a couple of pulls.

Naturally, he wants to run off the line and I want a little freeway roll ;) So I guess we decide to do both;) Only thing is, the guy drives like a madman, little short WOT bursts the whole time, BOV singing etc. 'Street contest' in Cali is a major NoNo, immeadiate impound of vehical and probable loss of license. So I am trying to keep a low profile until we can line up in a safe low key area. Finally after we cross town (and pass one officer who I thought sure was going to pull us cause Mark is acting a 16year old with a new toy), we get a light together.

Of course runnng thru my mind is that I will need a near perfect launch to have any chance of reeling him in after he gets out on me by 2-3 cars with his AWD EVO... Then I hear him prep for the green, he simply buries his foot to the floor and lets the limiter take the guess work out of it:eek: BWAAAA POP! BWAAA POP! BWAAAA POP! He is just gonna side step the clutch at whatever freewheeling rev limit the managment will allow! Did I mention he is hard on his cars?? Light finally goes after like 10-12 bounces off the limiter in the next lane and I guess I'm a little off on my own target revs:o I'm all spin and smoke and he is easily 6-8 cars out on my by the time I am even accross the intersection:o Oh well, freeway is just a few blocks away:evil:

Two other cars prevented us from letting the freeway onramp be our own private starting line and when I catch up, I'm in fourth at 4500 and he sounds like he is in third. We hit it right about the same time and he jumps out a car on me (the DBB GT 35 just made it to a little higher spot on my priority list;) before I am fully spooled then after what seems like forever but probably closer to two seconds the S car freight trains him. Of course once I have two cars on him, he backs out of it and at that point I don't want to lift, ever:p We go again from the same type of roll with the exact same results, he jumps out a car then I catch and pull away. Good times all around and a thumbs up to him as he hits his off ramp long before I do. Five miles south of there I meet up with an EVO MR, I play it cool not wanting to show all my cards give him a couple half throttle surges. He gives me back a half dozen or so BOV shots but nothing more-he won't go. Yeah, I was hoping for another EVO notch in my scorecard but that's how it goes...

3Bar_Mopar
03-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Awesome story!! I didn't want it to end! :thumb:

TrrboJeep
03-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Good story... man, just imagine how quick an AWD GLHS would be! :nod:

turbocoupe
03-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Good story... man, just imagine how quick an AWD GLHS would be! :nod:

lol THAT WOULD BE SOME SICK --- ---- IF GLHS AWD WERE MADE lol

BUT GREAT KILLS MAN

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Another great read, :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Sweet runs dude.

mock_glh
03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Why won't Mark do that with Me?:p

Shelby5150
03-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Nice one Alan!! I sure do admire your work on the GLHS:nod:

Why won't Mark do that with Me?:p
Ya' think it's the fact that he hears about all the Corvette/Mustang/Camaro/etc. kills that you have under your belt? But then again there seems to be a preconceived notion that the "ugly old omni aint worth my time". That is, until it's too late, ie: when they realize it's your taillights they are mindlessly staring at. :lol:

Mario
03-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Evo's and STI's just laugh at me when I try and race them... ----y bastards.

turbocoupe
03-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Evo's and STI's just laugh at me when I try and race them... ----y bastards.

Well show them B***h's what it really mean to have a fast car ......MOPAR STYLE LOL
they are some ----y people in .....CT its more like ----y rich people that their mommys buys them their EVO's and WRX'S
:nod: :thumb:

mock_glh
03-14-2006, 01:24 AM
My local dragstrip is full of those guys.:lol: They avoid me like the plague.

2.216VTurbo
03-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Mock, on slicks with your 1.70's I know you could obliterate his EVO IX:thumb: On street tires launching accross an intersection, you would be playing some serious catch up after 100' mark...

Mario
03-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I try realing them in with a few breaths from the bov but like I said most just glance over and laugh. I'm not sure what I can do to real them in. F-Bodies and Mustangs on the other hand however will go at the drop of a hat.

mock_glh
03-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Mock, on slicks with your 1.70's I know you could obliterate his EVO IX:thumb: On street tires launching accross an intersection, you would be playing some serious catch up after 100' mark...

I know that but you might remember his response when such a contest was suggested at the club meeting. It probably would take the better part of a quarter mile to catch his AWD advantage on street tires. But he knows that's his only advantage.:nod:

johnl
03-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Wish I'd been there. Good read. Great use of the smilies thingies.:thumb: :) :thumb:

r00tcause
04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I know that but you might remember his response when such a contest was suggested at the club meeting. It probably would take the better part of a quarter mile to catch his AWD advantage on street tires. But he knows that's his only advantage.:nod:

Only advantage? What about aerodynamics?

Shelby5150
04-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Only advantage? What about aerodynamics?
Aero? Well, let's take a look...

http://www.pistonheads.com/uploads/news/7002-2t.jpg
The front looks nicely shaped to flow the air around it nice... but wait, whats this?:
http://www.pistonheads.com/uploads/news/7002-6t.jpg
It's that dreaded "ricer wing" again:banghead: There goes the whole "aero advantage" out the window and under the rear tire.... :lol:

r00tcause
04-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Aero? Well, let's take a look...

http://www.pistonheads.com/uploads/news/7002-2t.jpg
The front looks nicely shaped to flow the air around it nice... but wait, whats this?:
http://www.pistonheads.com/uploads/news/7002-6t.jpg
It's that dreaded "ricer wing" again:banghead: There goes the whole "aero advantage" out the window and under the rear tire.... :lol:

The pics might be more amusing if they worked.