PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirl marks.

89ShelbyGuy
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey guys...i have been painting cars for a while, but on the buffing side i lack knowlegde, for the life of me i can get a combination to get a great shine....i am woundering what everyone uses on there buffers to remove swirl marks. What compound and what pad do you use and at what rpm....is there any tricks of the trade? Thanks guys!

Marcus86GLHS
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
circular motion is your enemy. for the best reflection you have to remove wax in strait parellel motions.

Speedeuphoria
04-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm no expert but bought some tools and practiced a little. I bought a UDM(ultimate detailing machine) which is similar to a PC(porter cable), these are both good beginner tools that are dual action and basically cannot mess up paint. They may take more passes to get scratches out or imperfections. This is the minimum "buffer" I would use, the cheap ones at sears or autozone such IMO.

Then I steped up and bought a Makita rotary, whole new ballgame, cuts/removes imperfections much faster and can damage paint easily. For rotary there is a decent one they sell at some autozones or body shop stores that is $70-80 and works well, I'll get the brand as I forgot. many people like wool as even though it cuts more then foam it is a little more forgiving IMO, so using a light cut wool works great. I would stay away from white wool or twisted wool as they have lots of cut.

The general rule for pad size on these is:
Larger pads on rotarys= more cut, Smaller pads=less cut
Larger pads on DA's= less cut, Smaller pads=more cut

I use Optimum polishes and compound because they have very long work times even in direct sunlight, they are not very agressive. I've also used 3M Compound and worked well also.

Its always best to start with the lightest pad/polish to see how it works, then if needed step up to a more abrasive setup.

Then best resource IMO for this stuff is
http://autopia.org/forum/index.php

Many things depend on the paint and what your tools/compounds/polishes you are using.

Since It sounds like you have a rotary, I use a optimum compound and yellow wool(for heavier stuff), then go back over it with a green pad and the optimum polish to shine it up(these are both 8"). I keep to 1500rpms and since I'm no expert it takes some concentration.

Meg's(Meguiars) has some good stuff that you can find OTC(over the counter) and many people like the new 3m stuff which is also OTC

bfarroo
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I like 3M perfect it III machine glaze. Put it on with a foam pad after buffing with a fine cut buffing compound.