PDA

View Full Version : Head/block deck cleanup

J&H Ryan
03-03-2006, 08:21 PM
88 Daytona TII engine - replacing the headgasket with a MP one and the deck and head need cleaning (dirtyness likely cause of failure looks like). What do you use as to not damage those surfaces? Re-using the headbolts. Do I have to it to shop to make sure the head is flat? Turbo/intake is still on, so I think that option is out. Also on a time crunch - would like to have this done Tues.

myplasticegg
03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
take a metal ruler, hold the edge on the head(at many angles) and shine a flash light though the back. If any light shines though it needs machined, if not then you are okay. This is however a "backyard" trick, but works in a pinch.

J&H Ryan
03-05-2006, 02:31 AM
cool, thanks.

got the head on now. Whoever put that old gasket on should be shot. Felpro with no apparent prep work done...

Directconnection
03-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Not to insult you, but the old ruler method is a hack method. I do know it's hard to really be able to measure it w/out the proper tools, but I would never go by that method. The head could be twisted which I have seen and it will be hard to identify this way.

I would personally take it to a machine shop and have it checked, then re-surfaced. A flat surface ensures a better seal, which means it's ALOT less likely you will have to do this for a long time. Both of my T-IV cars I had the heads re-surfaced with a valve job (and some porting while I was there). New MP headgasket and bolts, cleaned the blocked deck as best as I could, chased the headbolt holes, used braker cleaner on the block's deck afterwards and then installed. Ran the snot out of both cars for years without losing any collant or blowing any headgaskets. One car has had the same headgasket on it since '99 an run 15+psi for the past 35,000 hard miles, the other since '00 and saw about the same mileage but with more boost at times.