PDA

View Full Version : Accurate wideband readings

overlordsshadow
04-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi all, almost time to slap the Shadow together again.

How much exhaust pipe to I need AFTER the wideband probe?

Speedeuphoria
04-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I would shoot for a 2-3 feet if its 3" exhaust, normally you want it close to the motor so the readings compare the the RPM's better.

You dont really give specifics of what you have in mind so thats why my answers are limited

overlordsshadow
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Well my dp is only about 25 inches long and I was going to put the wideband at about the end of that.

Edit, I only use a DP........

Speedeuphoria
04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
18" is solid from turbo, if its easier to put it 25" away then thats good also, assuming no cat before. The only issue is that it will prob read lean at idle at least till the motor is flowing. So it is better to have a length of exhaust after the sensor so it doesnt pickup free air which is ~20.9A/F

overlordsshadow
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I figured when under boost as long as I have an inch or few after it there is no way it could read the regular air.

GLHNSLHT2
04-21-2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2537

I have run mine here over the last year. Might want to buy an Innovate exhaust clamp.

overlordsshadow
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
That is what, 6 inches? thats about where my oxygen sensor is.

GLHNSLHT2
04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
It's right at the 1st bend in the d'pipe.

moparzrule
04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
If only running a downpipe, only go about a foot from the turbo, no more than halfway down the pipe.

overlordsshadow
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
It looks like mine will end up about 6 inches from the turbo outlet. It is wrapped, is this safe?

Anyone have experience in using the lc1 (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php) wideband to give your computer readings. Thinking I'm just going to put my wideband in my DP's oxygen sensor port.

overlordsshadow
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
.... Left the wideband sensor in the exhaust over the winter, no engine in the car just the DP sitting in the engine bay. Was that a dumb F&*k move?

overlordsshadow
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
For those of you who have put the sensor within 6-8 inches of the turbo, where were your egt's? Been reading and it says you don't want the sensor to see temps over 800C or 1450F. My EGT is in the #4 cyl and it reads between 1400-1525 at WOT. If I put my sensor at 6 inches I'll probably screw it right? Am I right in assuming that the temps after the turbo combines the heat from all the cylinders is greater than when it just comes out?

cordes
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I have my sensor in the stock location. It has been in there for over 3K miles now with no ill effects. I have seen ~1500* EGTs as measured in the #3 exhaust runner about an inch away from the head.

No one has been able to show me in print the specifications regarding heat tolerance of the newer WB sensors vs. the old narrow band sensors. I have always found it hard to believe that they would have made the new ones less tolerant of heat. Of course I can certainly understand the argument for those running race gas. The NB sensors like being farther back with race gas too.

risen
04-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I have my sensor in the stock location. It has been in there for over 3K miles now with no ill effects. I have seen ~1500* EGTs as measured in the #3 exhaust runner about an inch away from the head.

No one has been able to show me in print the specifications regarding heat tolerance of the newer WB sensors vs. the old narrow band sensors. I have always found it hard to believe that they would have made the new ones less tolerant of heat. Of course I can certainly understand the argument for those running race gas. The NB sensors like being farther back with race gas too.

My ghl-t has a W/B in the stock narrowband location and it's been ok for about a year now. Innovate's documentation recommended a heat sink for the sensor. So my brother and I took a old copper CPU heatsink and made something that looks like a v with a flat bottom. We then punched a hole in the bottom so the sensor could thread into the swingvalve.

Our EGT guage has shown some runs up to 850C (~1550 F, it's a Greddy gauge, I'm always having to convert) so maybe it's helping. We decided we didn't much care about the sensor's longevity because the auto group he works for has a VW dealer and we can get a new sensor for cheap and the car is only driven on weekends in nice weather.

GLHNSLHT2
04-25-2008, 10:55 PM
all Innovate said is that it has to be less than 900 degrees AT the bung. I know my bung will never see 900 degrees, probably barly pushes 150 degrees.

moparzrule
04-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Typically the EGT will be about 300 degree's less in the swingvalve than in the manifold. Just FYI.

risen
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
all Innovate said is that it has to be less than 900 degrees AT the bung. I know my bung will never see 900 degrees, probably barly pushes 150 degrees.

Hmm, maybe it was the megasquirt docs that recommended it then. I guess I don't remember exactly, but someone recommended it.

And if the temp drop's around 300 degrees, then it's probably safe in the swingvalve since the EGT's would be ~1200.

Speedeuphoria
04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Hmm, maybe it was the megasquirt docs that recommended it then. I guess I don't remember exactly, but someone recommended it.

And if the temp drop's around 300 degrees, then it's probably safe in the swingvalve since the EGT's would be ~1200.

well just for clarification its 500c or 900F on the sensor from innovate, hence the suggestion for a heatsink and mounting down stream

Aries_Turbo
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
i get PID heater unlock code from my techedge (sensor too hot) when hammering the car with the sensor in the stock location.

Brian

Speedeuphoria
04-26-2008, 09:45 AM
i get PID heater unlock code from my techedge (sensor too hot) when hammering the car with the sensor in the stock location.

Brian

speaking of your setup, what sensor do you use? As I hear some are not = to others

Aries_Turbo
04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
the Bosch 7057 LSU4 sensor. its been in the car for years. the 6066, the 7057 and the newer 7200 should all be as accurate as each other. when i bought mine, the wideband craze hadnt caught on and the 7057 was 37$.....

one local dyno guy close to me says that his dyno wideband sensors become inaccurate after a relatively short amount of time. I dont know if there is no free air calibration on his equipment or what but I dont see my sensor acting up like he claims.

i did a recent free air calibration and reinstalled my sensor that has been in the car for 25k with no real changes to the car and I get the same mileage that I got when i install the sensor and i feed the narrowband output to my logic module.

Brian