PDA

View Full Version : large oil leak on new engine

BrassMonkeY
03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
i just rebuilt this engine, and oil is dripping steadily out of it.

maybe 1 to 2 drips per second at idle.

i see oil on the rear tranny mount, oil pan, tranny, maybe even a lil on the rad hose.
i cant see where the oil is comming from.

most of the dripping is comming from the lowest point of the tranny.

i have maybe a 1/4 1/2 inch gap between the axle and where it enters the tranny on the right side, is that normal?

my engine oil and tranny oil is the same mabe some of it is comming out of there.

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Need to try and clean everything up to see exactly where its coming from. Could be a rear crank oil seal, turbo oil line, axel/cv tranny seal... A drip at that rate definitely has some pressure behind it. G.P.

cordes
03-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Make sure the dip stick tube isn't broken. That was a real downer for me.

inmyshadow
03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Did you seal the bolt that holds the oil feed line/coolant feed line to the head? People tend to forget this bolt too.

BrassMonkeY
03-03-2006, 08:14 PM
i installed new main seals and did them by the hanes book, i dont think thats it.

i may have left a bolt out that goes through an oil passage, but wouldnt oil almost poor out not drip?

oil feed line bolt, i did forget this one but quickly fixed it, i only hand tightned ith tho cause it didnt seem to want to go all the way in, and i didnt want to break anything, im going to double check that one on my next visit.

Blue Iroc R/T
03-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Did you seal the bolt that holds the oil feed line/coolant feed line to the head? People tend to forget this bolt too.

+1 see attached picture! (this is the only picture I could find that shows the hole in the driver side end of the head)

Turbodave
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
+2 on that bolt in the side of the head, it's caused lots of frustrations over the years.

BrassMonkeY
03-04-2006, 10:49 PM
i checked the bolt, its ok. any where i can see it isnt leaking. its prob the main seals, whitch really frustrates me.

i just bew the head gasket today for some how, so now i have another reason to pull the engine.

this car eats coolant sensors like there cheap. ive went though 3 over the couse of breakin the engine in.
________NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE________________________________
the computer sets the timing to like 16 deg retarded or something no matter what i set the base timing at.

i cant break the tires loose whatever boost with this retarded car,hahahah
__________________________________________________ ______________
im about done with this project. the car won, but i will have the last laugh.

tryingbe
03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Cam timing...

BrassMonkeY
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
im going to check if i warped the head today. i finally got the tires to break loose when the coolant sensor went out and the timing defaulted to 8 deg,hahahaahah.

ive done the timing great, i wish they had adjustable cam gears for are cars.

are there any old timer tricks to see if my mains seals arent doing there job without me pulling the engine?

thanx.

turbovanmanČ
03-06-2006, 01:47 PM
im going to check if i warped the head today. i finally got the tires to break loose when the coolant sensor went out and the timing defaulted to 8 deg,hahahaahah.

ive done the timing great, i wish they had adjustable cam gears for are cars.

are there any old timer tricks to see if my mains seals arent doing there job without me pulling the engine?

thanx.

They do have adjustable cam gears, :nod:

It sounds like either the oil galley plug above the rear main seal isn't sealing-had that happen before or when you installed the seals, you knicked or folded over the lip, done that before also. You need to use a feeler guage or small screwdriver to help the lip over the crank journals.

csxtra
03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
i installed new main seals and did them by the hanes book, i dont think thats it.

What type of rear main seal did you use? Is the outside (where it presses in) just painted metal? If so, did you put any anaerobic sealer on the metal part before pressing it in?

What you are describing are the same symptoms I had when I rebuilt the 2.5 to drop into my CSX. What happens is that oil gets between the seal and the metal housing it is pressed into, and then the whole seal starts spinning with the crank. Once that happens, oil leaks out between the seal and the housing, and it will appear to be leaking out of the bottom of the tranny, but it won't look like it is coming from the rear main seal, because the centrifugal forces sling the oil off of the flywheel/flexplate, so it looks clean.

If you have tried everything else and the leak is still there, check the rear main seal. The fix is not fun (especially after jsut putting it back together)...pull tranny and flywheel/flexplate, and replace the seal (Fel-pro's teflon seal comes with a tool to put it over the crank without tearing it up, AND it has rubber on the outside surface...do you think that this is a common problem?) Or you could get a regular seal and just put some anaerobic sealer around the outside. Once that seal goes in and the anaerobic takes a set...it aint going nowhere.

Oh, and BTW, even the Factory Service Manual doesn't mention using the anaerobic on the seal, so Hanes wouldn't mention it either.

I hope this helps, I know your pain when your new rebuild drips oil and you can't figure out why.

Warren